1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vice President Cheney: "So?"

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Mar 21, 2008.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I will give you this point. On several of the talk shows and on Jay Leno, when they have a "man on the street" clip, the answers are amazingly ignorant. I have always wondered if they throw out the ones who answer correctly.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I double dog dare ya, Pastor Larry, to stand up in your pulpit tomorrow morning and tell your congregation that are "by and large, pretty stupid and unthinking". Since you claim it takes so much effort to be informed politically surely you know that it takes just as much, if not more effort, to be informed theologically; therefore, it appears that you think that they are "by and large, pretty stupid and unthinking" theologically as well.

So, Pastor Larry, I dare you to man up and tell them so tomorrow morning. Please report back to us how they react. Thanks.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I have wondered that as well. I don't watch Leno much, though I catch the headlines every other week or so. I find them funny, the rest not all that interesting. But I am telling you, our public education system has not served us well. It does provide some humor though.

#43 Pastor Larry, Mar 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2008
  4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Well, first, I don't preach based on dares, or even double dog dares. Second, remember the context of this discussion is politics, and I don't preach on politics, particularly on Easter Sunday.

But if you think people are not "by and large, pretty stupid and unthinking," then go do the "man on the street" interviews about something like monetary policy, the gold standard, inflation (what it is, why it happens, how to address it, etc), and then report back to us. I will bet dollars to donuts that my supposition will be confirmed.

I have said that, particularly with respect to sin. The reason we sin is because we are stupid and unthinking. To a spiritual mind, sin never makes sense. When we sin, it is because we are not thinking spiritual. We do dumb things. Sin only makes sense when we don't think properly.

No thanks in respect to politics. I will likely comment on the stupidity of sin, and our own bent towards sin as the results of an ignorant and unthinking thought process (Eph 4:17-19 is clear on this, as are other passages).

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Most people have beliefs on how the economy works. But most people have a bare bones understanding of economic principles (we see this constantly around here - and I'm being VERY generous). According to studies, the avg American can recite no more than 3 of the ten rights granted in the original Bill of Rights. Half of all Americans cannot name their Congresspeople. 1/4 cannot name their governor. Heck....an overwhelming majority of college seniors cannot find all 50 states on a map (1/4 could not correctly identify all states bordering the one they were in). So we cannot claim that Americans are on average, engaged.

Yet, the voters vote, and have a voice. And we have to respect that.