1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Victims of Soteriological Dishonesty

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Revmitchell, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, now, he has said this thread is not about Calvinism... :laugh:

Zactly the feeling I got.... :laugh:

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kudos, Revmitchell for your concise and provocative thread title.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the OP, we find a pastor who says what he is not, i.e. I am not a Calvinist. Folks who say what they are not, rather than what they are are deceitful. It is a red flag, folks, a red flag.

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How stupid is it to suggest it was the sheep’s fault for getting too close the wolf’s teeth? Sorry, but this reasoning is on par with: It was the innocent child’s fault for not being diligent and getting too close to the pedophile’s truck because his agenda could have been exposed.

People should be aware of the available ambiguous semantics on the titles which are used for Doctrines of Determinism. Therefore, non-transparency is justified, heck the pastor might even share in OldRegular’s reasoning that titles like “Doctrines of Sovereign Grace” rather than full disclosure such as “Doctrines of Deterministic Sovereign Grace” is an acceptable and honest way to keep one’s little secret. Got it…

This poison should also help justify the lack of transparency. Got it…

Good thinking! After all, he neglected that “Two wrongs makes a right”. What a joker he is for forgetting this logical truth. :rolleyes:

I’ll interpret that conglomeration of words as another argument for the attempt at justification of non-transparency.

Ever heard of the fallacies “Circumstantial Ad Hominem” and /or “Poisoning the Well”? i.e., the circumstances involve a Calvinist at that is personally offensive to you, therefore the issue becomes a claim without merit and it’s justified to throw in this red herring/smokescreen and attack the Op – that ought to help your argument. Which is – This is about a Calvinist so all other issues are void…

Oh, not to forget maybe the “Horse laugh” (A rhetorical tool) helps support your “point” (fallacy).

Yup, love the reasoning being given by my Determinist friends here to justify this tactic. With these fine examples you’ve truly outdone yourselves in the quest for logical truth. [​IMG]

#64 Benjamin, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2014
  5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, there are hundreds of them and the SBC was founded by both general and particular Baptists.

This question is worded odd and I am not sure what you are asking here. What does "not entirely reformed" mean? It all depends on the autonomous local SBC church.

In Calvinist churches? Never heard of one.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea who it was that said:

But it could not be farther from the truth. And any SBC church that did this would most likely be dis-fellowshiped.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't hear of many Calvinists doing that at all. You have a letter from one woman whose testimony is that the congregation is pretty much on board with this man.

I would want to interview the pastor and the congregation before I judge the situation, and it sounds like if I did, I would find that the woman who wrote you the letter isn't telling the whole story.

One letter where "names are changed" is poop. There is no "trend" of Calvinists stealthily taking over churches. Calvinism is growing, no doubt, and they are outvoting non-cals.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The op was a post with only one example. That example was not the whole of the post. Sag38 gave an example, I can tell you there is a church in Memphis that was torn apart and if you Google this issue you will see it talked about over and over again.

#68 Revmitchell, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2014
  9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yep, there is the difference. I have NEVER heard of an Arminian or non-Cal pastor sneaking into a Reformed church and trying to change it. It might have happened once or twice, but if it happens it is extremely rare.

But I have heard of Calvinists attempting to sneak into Arminian or non-Cal churches MANY times.

Here is an interesting article on the subject from Sweden.

http://bjorkbloggen.com/?s=calvinists+sneaking+into+churches

Here is a Calvinist who admitted subtly introducing Calvinism into a non-Calvinist church to this blogger;

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Torn apart.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep thanks

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: Baloney....we. are not dealing with children here....we are however dealing with an entire church with an organized selection committee (all born agains). They should of had enough education in doctrine etc to flesh out a phony. While the pastor was obviously a snake, these people also needed to be both aware and on their guard.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no doubt that both of these are true. The greater responsibility lies with the pastor.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the man you indict in the op bringing in Purpose Driven stuff? Or do you know?

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it doesn't. Sheesh. Anyway, one's calvinism has nothing to do with it.

16. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

To say he's not a calvinist and then start creeping in the DoG theology is dishonest. To say your not a calvinist but hold to DoG is iffy at best. I have zero problem being called a calvinist, even though I don't hold to infant baptism.

But that "pastor" flat out lied to that church if the woman's story is true.

17. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Truthfully, no matter the theology (Calvinistic or Arminian), what you state here is the real problem.

Most people in SBC churches have a theological acumen that stops at "Noah built an Arky-Arky."

The Archangel

18. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just because....

Revmitchell's response was, in a sense, one huge begging of the question. Now, of course the person to whom he was writing was likely the same persuasion as he is.

Since the question has been begged, I will ask--rhetorically--these questions:

1.) Does not the scriptures describe a plurality of elders?

2.) Where is the reporting of information "required" and where is the scriptural impetus to report such things?

3.) Are the "critics" being disciplined because they merely raise a question or for some other scripturally-enumerated sin?

4.) Why can't the Cooperative Program and other missions boards be supported? (After all how many SBC churches support the Cooperative Program and independent missionaries?)

5.) Where is there an alter call in scripture?

So, I'm not intending to derail the thread. But, since the question has been begged, these questions did need to be asked.

Blessings,

The Archangel

PS. One more question.... What if the opponents of this "Reformation" are wrong?

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

Nice attempt to distract. The problem is people sneaking into churches and trying to change what the church believes. This is wrong no matter who does it, it just seems that Calvinists are almost always the ones doing it.

20. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you seem more interested in taking pot-shots at me...

You'll kindly notice Revmitchell's original post and my subsequent response:

So, it is in no way a distraction to answer another line of reasoning by the OP. And, unless you are also charging Revmitchell with attempting to "distract," your accusation is simply ignorant and baseless.

The Archangel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.