1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Victory for Teacher... No Union Dues

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by carpro, Jun 25, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=/Nation/archive/200706/NAT20070625b.html

Victory for Teacher Told to Pay Dues or Change Religions
    By Randy Hall
    CNSNews.com Staff Writer/Editor
    June 25, 2007

(CNSNews.com) - A legal challenge mounted by a teacher in southern Ohio, who said a union official told her to pay dues or change religions, has prompted a federal district court to strike down a state law that allowed only those public employees who belonged to certain denominations the right to claim a religious objection to paying union dues.

"It's wonderful, just wonderful," Carol Katter, a mathematics and language arts instructor in the St. Marys district, told Cybercast News Service on Friday after U.S. District Court Judge Gregory Frost struck down Ohio Revised Code section 4117.09(C) as a violation of her First Amendment rights.

In addition, Frost permanently enjoined the State Employment Relations Board from further enforcing that law, which stated that any public employee who was a member of a "bona fide religion or religious body which has historically held conscientious objections to joining or financially supporting an employee organization ... shall not be required to join or financially support any employee organization."

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must be misunderstanding something here...

Who is forced to join a union and pay union dues in the United States? I've been asked to join teacher's unions by representatives of various unions but only if I wanted to. I worked alongside an entire faculty of teachers and a prinicipal who were non-union.

Did I miss something in the article?

3. billwald

billwald New Member

You must live in a scab state. In Washington teachers are not required to join but must pay for the administrative of their representation.

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. I did not know that. This comes as quite a shock.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you didn't live in a right to work state, you'd want to move to one. At least, I would.