1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Victory In Christ

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Linda64, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Taking the focus off sin and focusing on Christ and who we are in Him, we are able to have victory. We have been delivered, through Christ, from the penalty (justification), and power of sin (sanctification), and will be delivered from the very presence of sin (glorification) at the return of our Lord.

1 John 5:4-5 states:

For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. (1 John 5:4)

Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? (1 John 5:5)

The key to victorious Christian living is "walking in the Spirit"

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. (Galatians 5:16)

I am not speaking of "sinless perfectionism"--I'm speaking of Christian living--allowing Christ to live His life through you and allowing Him to conform you to His image. Salvation does not eradicate the sin nature--nobody will ever reach sinless perfection in this lifetime. However, when we walk in the Spirit, we will not have the desire to sin. I believe sin is a choice.

Where is our focus?

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Our focus??

A walk with Christ----implies we live on the OTHER side of crucifixion---and on the other side of resurrection---in which by faith we DO---I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live. YET NOT I BUT CHRIST WHO LIVES IN ME!!!

A continual crucifixion to self

A continual dying to self

The moment we stop dying to self---is the moment that needs to be repented of!!

3. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

The true Child of God, as Paul said, dies daily. A Child of God will receive chastening...when chastening is due.

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Since when do we allow Christ to do anything? The last time I checked, he didn't need out permission for anything.

5. His Blood Spoke My Name

Go back and study your Bible, Dale. Mine says we can disallow the workings of Christ.

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

This is a fundamental issue.

I have no idea of what your verse was supposed to prove.
    Can we disallow God from doing ANYTHING that He want's to do?

7. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Yes. The sanctification process is a cooperative process between the saved and the Holy Spirit. If the saved does not die to self the work of the Spirit in that person's life will not go on. If the person is walking in the flesh the work of the Spirit will not be taking place.

God does not force Himself on us during the sanctification process. We must cooperate with Him.

8. His Blood Spoke My Name

In several verses it is said our unbelief will hinder God's woving in our lives.

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Care to quote them?
    Are you saying that God can't overcome our unbelief if He so chooses?

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The New Testament testifies that the Hebrew people(save two) perished in the wilderness because of unbelief

God overcame them, alright!!!

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Sure, but if God wants to save someone, Paul for example, can He not do that?

12. His Blood Spoke My Name

God will not save anyone who does not want to be saved. He will not save anyone who does not want to follow His Son.

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

and conversely . . .

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

So it is a good thing that you were smart and good enough to want to right?

'Cause if you and all those others hadn't been so smart as to "choose" CHrist, then God would have been in trouble and all of His prophecies wouldn't have come to pass.

Talk about pathetic. You say it is blasphemy to say that Jesus drank wine but then you say that man is sovereign in salvation and not God?
    Ok, what damages the nature of God here?
    Sure, no ones gets saved against their will at the time of conversion but God can and does change the hearts of men.
    Are you denying regeneration?

15. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it is.

God could force Himself on us, but He does not because He wants us to freely love and honor Him. He allows us the dignity of saying yes or no.

It's the difference between a rapist and a lover.

16. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Without God working regeneration in us, NO ONE, not even YOU would have chosen God.
    If God had not given you a heart of flesh for your heart of stone, you too would burn in hell.
    If you are truly a child of God then it is purely of God that you are not by ANY decision on your part, not of your own faith lest you should boast.

17. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Yes, it is true that we freely love Him. But we are first set free, by Him to love Him.

God doesn't force anyone against their will, He first gives them a new heart, a heart that desires Him.

Do you not believe that? Or do you believe that we have the power within our natural selves to believe him?

18. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

A quick question Dale-c: Are you a Calvinist? It appears to me that you are. Therefore, please keep this thread on topic and teach your Calvinism somewhere else.

BTW--Regeneration does NOT precede salvation.

19. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Linda you mean you didn't see the 500 zillion Calvinism flags flying around his posts :) Sorry I couldn't resist.

20. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God gives us a new heart, but that comes as we receive Him.

No, not by our own strength. (You pose your response as if these are the only two choices!) Jesus taught (as recorded in John 6:44) that no one came come to Him unless the Father draws them. Yet we know that (unless you shift the meaning of “all”) Jesus draws “all men” to Himself (John 12:32), and it is clear that not all are saved.

God initiates new life in the unregenerate person and enlightens them to hear the message of Jesus. They then decide to accept or reject the call be a disciple of Jesus. If they want to be a disciple, then they are reborn by the power of the Spirit. If they reject the calling, they condemn themselves to life without God.

At this point, the five-point crowd screams, “Choosing Christ is a work! Therefore, it is not of grace and must not be the true gospel!”

Not so.

If I am drowning and someone throws a life ring that lands perfectly over my head and says, “trust me, I’ll rescue you... don’t resist me!” And I consent to being pulled to safety, I have not done a “good work.” I have simply not rejected the person who wants to pull me to their shore. If I duck out from under the ring and push off back into the waves, I have rejected the rescuer and I face life and eternity on my own.

At this point, some in the five-point crowd will still insist, “holding on and not resisting God is a good work! The effort expended to hold on is not passive, it is a definite work. Therefore, it is not of grace.” Not really (at least not in a biblical sense), but let me point out that grace is not opposed to effort, it is opposed to earning! When the Apostle Paul talks about works, he is talking about earning the favor of God as a worker earns a wage.