1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Victory In Christ

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Linda64, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Good for him! Glad to see he was following scripture in this area.

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd say the person who undertakes a life of immoderate drinking, since Jesus did not drink to excess.

Here's a better question:

If one reads a post that says Christ walked on water across the sea and decides, 'if it is good enough for Jesus, it is good enough for me' and that person drowns in the sea and goes to hell, who will stand accountable?

We are guilty if we fail to teach and model the truth about Christ when we speak in His name. If we lead people astray, according to our own prejudices and out-of-context/errorneous readings of scripture, we are guilty.

And I've been too busy with deadlines over the past couple of days (9 major projects to complete by Monday night) to read the material that J. Jump has given me, so I haven't participated in this thread much. I see it has already started turning into an alcohol thread. :BangHead:

3. standingfirminChrist

My wife learned abstinence through studying the Word of God, not from a bitter heart.

#103 standingfirminChrist, Jun 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2007
  4. standingfirminChrist

Exactly! **Insult deleted** God's Word demands abstinence from alcohol.

#104 standingfirminChrist, Jun 23, 2007
  5. standingfirminChrist

Alcohol is a drug. It is a depressant. Upon ingestion, it enters the blood stream and makes its way to the brain where it begins to do its job... it attacks brain cells and deceives people into thinking there is nothing wrong with it.

Why would Jesus put something that would do this into His body? He would not.

Why would He sanction His Children to put this drug into their body? He would not.

Would you want you child to eat a piece of food that had poison on it? Or drink a liquid that was poison? If so, you must not love that Child.

#105 standingfirminChrist, Jun 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  6. standingfirminChrist

Since it was alcoholic wine the preacher was drinking in communion, he was not following Scripture.

1. God does not condone alcoholic beverage in the life of His Children.

2. The priest, according to Leviticus, was not to drink alcohol.

3. Jesus, our High Priest, never drank alcohol.

7. JerryL

JerryL New Member

So says your opinion, the Bible clearly says different. The Priests were not to drink it in the tabernacle. Even in the NT preachers are not be given to MUCH wine. Isn't much a key word there? Surely, if this is the non- alchoholic wine mentioned earlier(grapejuice) the preacher could have all he wanted.Even gallons and gallons as long as he didn't get sick on grapejuice?

#107 JerryL, Jun 23, 2007
  8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SFIC : Are you a Levite , or possibly a Recabite ?

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Gets your facts straight.
    Can I ask you something? Have you ever tried wine?
    It's a depressant?
    **Insult deleted**

#109 Dale-c, Jun 23, 2007
  10. standingfirminChrist

Rippon, do you know of certainty that you are not?

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

First I didn't "accuse" I suggested. I said it would "seem" as it that is what it looks like but I can't be sure.
    Second of all, since she has a very unBiblical view on the matter she didn't get her views from the word of God.
    I would suggest that she got them from making the Bible say what she wanted.
    I can't know the truth or untruth of her sincerity.
    But she is wrong and you are wrong.

#111 Dale-c, Jun 23, 2007
  12. standingfirminChrist

Oh, someone has an unbiblical view on the matter, but it is not my wife, nor is it me.

You may want to go and study. **Insult removed**

#112 standingfirminChrist, Jun 23, 2007
  13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Oh, I did take the blinders off.
    I believed as you when I had the blinders on.
    WHen God took the blinders off of my eyes I then saw how wrong I had been.

**Insult removed**

#113 Dale-c, Jun 23, 2007
  14. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

It is not we who are twisting the Bible, it is you. You are the one trying to make all instances of wine in the Bible to mean alcoholic.

*edited by poster

#114 Diggin in da Word, Jun 23, 2007
  15. standingfirminChrist

Diggin, that was aimed at me, but you are right. The only way they can make their stance on drinking alcoholic wine fit is if the Word is twisted to their notions.

Oh, and concerning the facts about alcohol being a depressant. They are straight. Talk to doctors... Call the Poison Control Center. They all will tell you it is a drug, a depressant.

16. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I had no idea alcohol was a smart drug.

17. standingfirminChrist

The Word of God says alcohol deceives, npetreley. Don't believe it? Take it up with God.

18. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I have no problem with the Bible's words. It's the stuff you added that I call into question. You didn't stop at saying it deceives, you said it deceives people into thinking there's nothing wrong with it.

(puts on tinfoil hat)

19. JerryL

JerryL New Member

It's a good thing we have victory in Christ. I'm not so sure some of us would if standingfirm had anything to do with it, going by his readings of God's word and his pronounciation of how wrong "we" are in our reading of it.

20. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Actually, the grape-juicers are the ones most guilty of twisting the Word of God. So far I've seen people twist:

1. The statement that the apostles were drunk on new wine to mean they were mocking wine, not the apostles.
    2. The verses about squeezing grapes into a cup as being the definition of new wine, when the verses don't contain the expression "new wine", and the verses are from a dream that also says blossoms became ripe grapes instantly. Dreams do not define reality.
    3. Many more...but here's my favorite: When people quote from this passage in Deuteronomy that wine is the poison of dragons and the venom of snakes. According to their exegesis, one would have to conclude that all grapes are gall, all clusters are bitter, all vines are of Sodom and all fields are of Gomorrah.

28 For they are a nation void of counsel, neither is there any understanding in them. 29 O that they were wise, that they understood this, that they would consider their latter end! 30 How should one chase a thousand, and two put ten thousand to flight, except their Rock had sold them, and the LORD had shut them up?
    31 For their rock is not as our Rock, even our enemies themselves being judges.
    32 For their vine is of the vine of Sodom, and of the fields of Gomorrah: their grapes are grapes of gall, their clusters are bitter:
    33 THEIR [read it and weep - THEIR] wine is the poison of dragons, and the cruel venom of asps.