1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Videotaping Police

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jun 29, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent points made by Mr. Balko.

Straight Talk: Videotaping Police

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

By Radley Balko

Last month, Brian Kelly of Carlisle, Pa., was riding with a friend when the car he was in was pulled over by a local police officer. Kelly, an amateur videographer, had his video camera with him and decided to record the traffic stop.

The officer who pulled over the vehicle saw the camera and demanded Kelly hand it over. Kelly obliged. Soon after, six more police officers pulled up. They arrested Kelly on charges of violating an outdated Pennsylvania wiretapping law that forbids audio recordings of any second party without their permission. In this case, that party was the police officer.

- rest at www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,284075,00.html

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Yet I would bet that these rogue cops make video & audio recordings of every stop they make without the person's permission.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

Each state has different rules for recording conversations. Washington requires 2 party consent.

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Thats an excellent article Ken. I praise God for honest police who do their best to serve the public, but it is important that they be accountable for their actions and video has been an important tool for shedding light on abuse of authority. And it was on Fox News, who woulda thunk ;)

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Most states only require the consent of one party, but those recordings cannot be used in criminal court, in most states. However, a civil case is another story.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then its time to change the law! Any you could do it!
    A few months ago I sent a letter to my state assemblyman, about a change in the law I wanted. It has passed the assembly and is now in the Senate for approval.
    All it takes is VOICE OF ACTION ! ( http://VOICEOFACTION.COM )

Salty