1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

View on the KJVonly Phenomenon

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "AS I SEE IT"
    Doug Kutilek
    Volume 7, Number 4, April 2004
    Article copied in entirety as per requirement of the website. The editor's perspective is that of an independent Baptist of fundamentalist theological persuasion.

www.KJVOnly.org

Please forgive the word "heresy" - it is the quotation and not ours - but would like some input on this article from every side.

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

So now these guys are spreading this false doctrine in non-english speaking countries.

You can overcome ignorance but stupid lasts forever.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It sure opens my eyes a little wider! While I've long-ago proven that KJVO is nothing but a man-made myth, I had little idea that some radicals were using its lies to actually UNDERMINE THE FAITH of people whose native language isn't English. There are many false doctrines people try to slip into the baptist faith, some worse than others, but all false. I knew that the KJVO doctrine has hardened into dogma in some, but I didn't really question their faith. However, when someone does something as destructive as those people did in Holland & Rumania, I cannot help but wonder what or who their "faith" is in.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sad sad sad.

HankD

5. sdnesmith

sdnesmith New Member

Satan's been trying to destroy the Church for 2000 years. This looks to be one of his best tools yet.

Shawn

6. Anti-Alexandrian

Alexandrian propaganda!!

7. Orvie

Orvie New Member

proaganda from Anti Alexandrian. Alex, would you rather have the Dutch Christians convert to King Jesus or King James? :rolleyes: At least in your view, wouldn't it be better to have a translation in their language, even if it's NT was based on the Textus Receptus, than telling them to abandon their Bible for the foreign language English KJV???

[ April 09, 2004, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Orvie ]

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Propaganda? Sure. I'm assuming these are the "worst case scenarios" and pray that even the most rabid type (like AA here) would not be so guilty.

But not lies or slanted truth. Very real problems that come from this divisive and vile doctrinal error.

9. mioque

mioque New Member

I try to avoid the word heresy when it comes to KJV-onlyism, I prefer the term [snip] disease myself.
    It's spreading... and it's doing that because of the irresponsible actions of those that are either ignorant, or uncaring.

Plain Old Bill
    "So now these guys are spreading this false doctrine in non-english speaking countries."
    Yes the days that it was a 'charming' excentricity of the more colourfull american Christians is over.
    If those types who are doing this had some true courage, they would be trying to spread that other 'charming' excentricity snake-handling instead, but no it has to be KJVO.

[ April 10, 2004, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Pastor_Bob ]

10. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It should be carefully noted that the above quote by my distinguished co-Moderator represents the philosophy of the extreme, radical element of KJVOnlyism. This strain of Onlyism represents a very small percentage (IMO, less than 5%) of the whole that would classify themselves as KJVO.

Men like Peter Ruckman, Samuel Gipp (graduate of Ruckman's school), William Grady (relies on Gipp in his book Final Authority), Vance Lawrence (teaches at Ruckman's school) all have books that would promote the views similar to those above.

There are many good books that present a fair and balanced, scholarly approach to the subject. A few that I can personally recommend for the serious seeker are:
    The Revision Revised by Dean John W. Burgon
    The King James Version Defended by Edward F. Hills
    [Both of the above men are immensely qualified to write on the subject unlike many modern day KJV defenders]
    A New Hearing for the Authorized Version by Theodore Letis
    The Identity of the New Testament by Wilbur Pickering
    [Dr. Dell Johnson told me that Pickering's book is the one that "converted me away from the Critical Text position."]
    Defending the King James Bible by D.A. Waite

I believe a careful study of these and other books will reveal a much different perspective above KJVOnlyism than the one presented above.

11. mioque

mioque New Member

12. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suspect your percentage is on the low side. Further, this kind of radicalism doesn't just come from the Ruckman camp.

The Hyles and Chick line of KJVO's have taught similar things. Their influence is much broader than Ruckman's. I am aware of two churches in Georgia that follow(ed) Hyles. Both are radically KJVO. An 8 year old from one of them told my then 8 year old kid that if he wasn't saved with a "King James Bible" then he wasn't really saved.

I have seen good defenses of the traditional text/majority text position. I have never seen a good defense of KJVOnlyism.

13. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    mioque, I cant't find the original States-General Bible online.

How does it render I John 5:7?

I think I know ...

14. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I admit that Dr, Hyles book Enemies of Soulwinng did great damage to KJV defense as a whole. I personally know several HAC pastors who do not subscribe to the philosophy presented in that book. I'm sure that there are many who do; that is unfortunate.

15. mioque

mioque New Member

16. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. To be fair, I know one who recognized the error he was taught at HAC and uses the NKJV... he also allows women to wear slacks and jeans to church, God forbid! ;)

17. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, I can't speak (or understand) Dutch. But my meager comprehension of German allows me to see that the translation indeed includes the Johannine Comma.

"These three agree, the witnesses in Heaven: the Father, His Word and the Holy Spirit; on this the three agree.

Dankzegging.

18. mioque

mioque New Member

Indeed it does.

19. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Wow, to think that agents of satan, and that is what they are, are so bold and stupidly American that they think the world should learn english before being told about the love of Christ and then they can only use the apporved text for english speakers. I want to both puke and scream. My heart goes out to those who have been weakened by wolves in sheeps clothing. I pray that as my ministry moves back to Texas and my KJVO roots that I do not fall back into that sinful trap. :( [​IMG]

20. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Bob, this small percentage of KJVOs are the ones who get the attention. An axle bearing is a much-lesser percentage of either the weight or size of an 18-wheeler, but one broken axle bearing can immobilize the whole truck.

Unfortunately, there are those who believe this small percentage's garbage.