1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Violent Movies...

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by BrotherJesse, Jun 30, 2002.

1. BrotherJesse

BrotherJesse New Member

How many of you are discouraged by how Hollywood keeps making movies with Sex, drugs, alcohol, and of course, violence? I am going to tell my father I will refuse to see any form of violent movie from here on. Just family movies. We can find other ways to spend our time together.

2. Oxidization

Oxidization Guest

Well, unfortunately, sex, drugs, and violence sell to the public. I'm the same way, I don't like watching violent movies or explicit sex on the big screen, but sometimes, when I do see someone getting hurt in the movies, I like to pretend that I'm feeling their pain.

3. Matticus

Matticus New Member

Agreed. Movies very rarely convey good things, but often contain sex and violence. I don't mind a little violence in movies, but if it gets to graphic, i prefer not to watch. As for all the sex and nudity, it just tempts me so i really try hard to avoid movies with that stuff in it.

4. Joy2U

Joy2U New Member

I don't like the way Hollywood has used the medium of television and movies to brainwash and
    hurt peoples' minds. There is hardly anything worth watching on the television. If it
    isn't visually violent or sexual then it is always verbally so. This really ticks me. I wish
    we had a real Christian broadcast in every city so that we could have an alternative but I guess this is wishful thinking. The only thing I watch regularly and tape is The Road to Avonlea, a series written by Lucy Maud Montgomery. I think she was a minister's wife. These series are pretty good. But even so I find that the "Christian" characters are always made to look overdone or ridiculous or silly because of their beliefs. Of course, Hollywood wants to belittle us as much as possible. Oh well, I have to remind myself we are still living in a fallen world.

[ June 30, 2002, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Joy2U ]

5. BrotherJesse

BrotherJesse New Member

Please pray that when I tell my dad that I refuse to watch violent movies, he'll understand and that I'll receive wisdom on what to say.

6. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    when movies show violence, adultery, fornication, drugs, etc., it is either:

1. silently imposing to the subconcious mind of its viewers that such are just fine; or

2. it is simply reflecting what really is happening around; or

3. both (i personally think this is the best choice though item no. 2 has the greater influence that item no. 1).

each one of us has his/her area of strenghts and weaknesses. for example, one might really not be influened when watching violent movies but then gets to be nearer of being a fornicator movie after movie. it's really a matter of someone discerning which can or cannot watch in accordance to his/her area of strenth/weakness.

personally, i really hate movies where the wife is unfaithful to her husband, who, on the other hand, is so faithful to her. in fact, i can't stand watching movies where the a female who is already a wife will meet someone for a date, and then ending up getting in-love with the "other guy." the same applies for songs.

if i am to rank sin, i would equate unfaithfulness to a faithful husband/wife to murder. i really hate those people, and those movies with those people.

sorry if got out of the topic - i got carried away. i realised that only after i wrote the previous pharagraph, but nevertheless have decided not to delete it.

7. BrotherJesse

BrotherJesse New Member

You've made a great point.