1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Virginian Elder John Leland

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by tyndale1946, Feb 22, 2002.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Bro. Glen

In the for what it is worth category, Bro. Proctor who wrote that piece was pastor of the Northern Virginia Progressive Primitive Baptist Church, a very fine fellow. He has, however, left our area and moved back to Georgia, where his family was.

Jeff

3. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If one of you moderator brethren want to place this in Baptist Biograghies started by Brother Jeff please feel free my oversight. Also if you could set the site when you click on it, it would go right to the site I would appreciate it. Couldn't get it to work... To me this was one of most influential baptist in the early founding of this country... Maybe Brother Clint can enlighten us further as he was a fellow Virginian... Didn't mean to steal your fire Brother Clint... Brother Glen [​IMG]

4. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ever have one of those days... Sorry I forgot Brother Jeff is also a Virginian and I plumb forgot... Am I in the Baptist Dog House now... Brother(woof woof)Glen [​IMG]

5. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, Brother Glen for the link on Elder Leland. Many of us Virginians are quite proud of the influence that our Baptist predecessors had on the formation of this country's Bill of Rights. The tale of Elder Leland and James Madison is sketchy at best as it was not revealed for some decades after his passing (I am going from memory here) but there is little question as to the influence that the Baptist have had throughout this nation's history.

Here is a link I have provided before to the Virginia Baptist Historical Society. On their homepage, you will see three paintings. I was hoping one would be Elder Leland, but alas, it is not. The fellow standing in the cart is Elder Elijah Craig, a Seperate Baptist whose ministry indirectly formed my home church. http://www.baptistheritage.org/

Here is a seperate link to my visit to the VBHS for the first time:
    http://www.churches.net/churches/fubc/historianreport.html This essay, if it has a moral, is that we endeavor to carry on the tradition set forth by men such as Elder Leland. Thanks again, Brother Glen. May God bless you

- Clint

[ February 22, 2002: Message edited by: Clint Kritzer ]

6. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist