1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VISION STATEMENT FOR SCIENCE BOARD

Discussion in 'Science' started by ASLANSPAL, Apr 4, 2005.

1. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Just to throw out this and it is a concern of mine
    I have enjoyed the posts here and the back and
    forth it obvious there are some very inteligent
    people here, and I don't want to lose them.

I want to throw out for ideas and solutions on
    how we can get the Science board in its proper
    orbit and have a place at the table ,perhaps
    we need a vision statement that is user friendly
    and has disclaimers that protect all who want
    to debate or present scientific
    theory.

I see other boards and forums where the scientific areas have a place at the table, and
    that it seems to work.

A concern: Since Christianity and the movement
    is more powerfull and in the news more than
    ever isn't it obvious people wanting to know
    more about us will see this as a resource and this
    is my main point in a bullet.

. Do we want to be seen as hiding from the world
    when it comes to scientific matters , should we
    have a vision statement that reflects our
    confidence in our faith and at the same time
    look at new and old science that all the world
    can see.

Are we opening ourselves up for ridicule if
    we put science on the back pages.

Will people ,christian and non leave for greener
    pastures and take wealth of knowledge with them
    experiental and intellectual.

I hope I have offered solutions and concerns
    and now to start to solve it and implement it.

With your help and ideas

2. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

I must agree that it is odd to hide the science.

I think that there will be a continuing debate with the YE/OE sides. There should be a place where we can discuss this as believers and not be harassed on have your salvation question, as so often happens, because you disagree with another believer's interpretation of something not critical to salvation.

Some people find this kind of discussion quite distracting and I think that it is best to segregate it off to a separate but visible area.

I also think that there needs to be a place to discuss scientific topics outside of the debate. This might include medical issues, Mars rovers, the Hubble telescope deorbiting, string theory, global warming, robotics, or any other of a host of topics. We have some very intelligent people around and this could be a resource for many people. It would also give geeks like me an outlet for discussing such topics.

I wish we could have a place back at the front page but with two separate science forums. One for the never ending debate and one for the other stuff.

3. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We should not hide the science forum. I am all for getting it out there in the open. How can we say we love God with all of our mind if we do not engage it?

4. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think the forum should be public.

But here is something to consider: while these debates range from many scientific topics, they all come down to a basic argument - which presuppositions one uses. If you pre-suppose that the Bible is true, you typically come down on the side of creation. If you pre-suppose that God did not actively participate in special creation (as Genesis describes) you come down on the side of evolution. Therefore, the debate - being leveled to the lowest common denominators - is actually one of opposing worldviews or pre-suppositions. Don't we both have the same rocks, fossils, etc? See, the evidence for both sides is the same... it's the interpretation of that evidence based on one's presuppositions that differs.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v22/i1/creation.asp

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The history of the C/E debate forum demonstrates that it is a divisive forum with proponents of both sides often deriding the other of gross error. It doesn't illustrate Christian love to the world.

It only takes one undisciplined poster to degrade any thread into name calling free-for-all where nothing is accomplished.

IMO, the hidden aspect of this forum seems to have increased it's quality.
    Grandstanders and blow-hards don't come because it doesn't fulfill their purposes.

I too would like to see it eventually placed in the open forums of the BaptistBoard; still I think that it serves well as it presently.

Rob

6. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

"See, the evidence for both sides is the same... it's the interpretation of that evidence based on one's presuppositions that differs."

The difference is that YE does not have a coherent explanation for the evidence that better fits the data than what science has to offer. I am still waiting for you and the other YEers to offer us these better interpretations.

They do not seem to exist.

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See my response here:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/66/23/2.html#000022