1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Visions

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by bodyofchrist32, Apr 24, 2010.

1. bodyofchrist32

bodyofchrist32 New Member

Several months ago, my wife told me about a dream she had. In it, she heard a trumpet blow, and looked up to see an abundance of bright lights in the sky. The lights grew brighter, and got closer, then she saw the Lord descend from heaven in a bright chariot. She then dreamt that she was witnessing to her family, particularly her brother. She said you could tell who was unsaved because they had a greenish tint to them. As she witnessed to her brother, the green tint became gradually white, and once he was saved, he became brilliant white. She then dreamt that her, myself, and all her family met the Lord in the air and ascended up to heaven. I took this to be a vision from God, and I thought the interpretation could possibly be as follows: the gradual brightening of the lights in the sky and the gradual descension of our Lord meant that she should be able to see the signs in the world around us that He would return soon, and that she should be fervently witnessing to win her loved ones before it is eternally too late. She brought the dream up again tonight and said it has stuck with her and weighed heavily upon her mind ever since she had it. I take that fact as further evidence that this dream was from the Lord. However, I know that a lot of people do not believe that God speaks to His children through dreams and visions anymore. I was wondering what scripture is used to support this view?:sleeping_2:

2. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Cutter

Cutter New Member

4. bodyofchrist32

bodyofchrist32 New Member

I am not talking about some new revelation that reveals something not contained in scripture here, so Revelation 22:18, 19 doesn't apply here.

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You said;
    If it is not new revelation,what is it ?in your mind you believe for some reason you are being told something that no one else is being told.

16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Why would God need to tell you something that he has not revealed in His word ?
    Before this "dream" was there any lesser sense of urgency to witness to unsaved family members?
    Don't you think it is more likely these concerns were already going through her mind already and her dream was more of a reflection of her well ordered thoughts?
    If you want to believe that some dreams are from God, what about when you have some dreams that have some sexual element to them, or some violence?

Stay grounded in the word and you will be better off.

6. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I had a dream when I was 17 at RVA. In my dream I was flying from Nairobi to Entebbe on a Piper aircraft. At some point over Lake Victoria my single engine began to cut out. I looked at the instruments and found that the fuel gauge was dropping fast and I supposed I had a fuel leak. being at 12,000 feet I figured doing a nose dive into the lake was a no survival senario. In my dream I prayed to the lord for deliverance from the pain of dying. As the plane died and dove down towards the lake I felt the weightlessness feeling of free fall I looked out the window and saw the sky split and rolled back with a great light pouring through and a voice saying "Well done good and faithful servant" I was really filled with joy when I woke up. It was a great dream but dream non the less and it just combined several things I had been thinking about and pondering about over time and consolidated it into a dream. I don't think that dream meant anything other than displaying in that fashion my fears and hopes.

7. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A green tint around unbelievers that gradually turns white as they are witnessed to. That's not new? I don't recall reading it in Scripture. It was a dream. Not a revelation from God.

8. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Many Baptists are uncomfortable with such things. I am not. My thoughts are it was probably from the Lord. Judge all things by the Scriptures and reject anything that does not square with them.

Also, anything form the Lord will carry goldiness, holiness, purity, et. All good things. Seems like this dream was like that.

9. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I get the feeling that any scripture I could provide wouldn't do it, so just let me ask you this: why would God need to speak to someone in a dream now that we have the completed canon of scripture?

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There is no doubt in my mind that the Lord can use dreams or visions any time He wants, with whom He wants. He is God, and does not limit Himself to our way of thinking. The dream to me has lots of significance, painting a picture of salvation, today, and its urgency. I see nothing wrong with your post.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No comparison whatsoever. The dream in this thread paints a picture of salvation, yours paints a picture of a Star Trek episode.

12. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Check Out Acts 2:16-18 & Joel 2:27-28

While many may feel that this section of Scripture has to do with things that are not needed, or, necessary in this day and time. I think you can draw your own conclusion.

It sounds as if your wife may have been part of something revealed in this portion of Scripture.

In truth, only your wife can know and appreciate what she experienced. That is something no one can take away from her.:thumbs: It sounds as if God may have impressed upon your wife the need to "witness" to the lost, starting with her immediate family and loved ones. If she has been energized to witness, than the dream may have been of God, because it resulted in a change in her heart and walk. I'd have to thank God for reminding me of the Great Commission.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

#12 righteousdude2, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2010
  13. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Maybe the virgin mary told three little girls to pray the rosary.
    Maybe the angel moroni told joseph smith where to find the golden plates.
    Maybe marshall applewhite was told to get ready to travel to the comet.
    Maybe Peter was mistaken when he said;
    Maybe those who made the confession of faith did not really mean this?

14. ReformedBaptist

Maybe praying the rosary is contrary to Scripture, maybe Mormonism teaches against the Scripture

And maybe the confession is wrong.

15. Cutter

Cutter New Member

And the Lord returning to take His Church home is not the final act of His salvation on behalf of His church? I don't know where you get this idea that my dream is about Star Trek or sci fi. Maybe you misunderstood me when I said we took off like rocket ships. I did not mean we were in a rocket ship, just that we were changed and took off into the sky to meet the Lord in the air. Do you not believe in a bodily resurrecetion?

16. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a friend whom I am convinced the Lord has communicated with in dreams and visions all his life. Why, I don't know. He is not charismatic; He is a very simple and forthright individual who is very close and devoted to Christ, to the point of being childlike at times, literally.

Example: He told me when he was a child he was looking out the front door of his house and seen a small brilliant white man on a small brilliant white horse in the apple tree in front of the house. The very next day a tornado that was bearing directly toward the house changed direction at that apple tree and missed the house.

[edit] I meant to include that I myself have had premonitions that influenced my decisions on certain things in the past.

#16 kyredneck, Apr 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2010
  17. BillySunday1935

BillySunday1935 New Member

"And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams; yea, and on my menservants and my maidservants in those days I will pour out my Spirit; and they shall prophesy" (Acts 2:17-18).

Peace!

18. ReformedBaptist

Good commentary. I think as Christians we must be dogmatic on this subject. I am not convinced there is a Scripture that teaches God does not communicate as He would wish to do with His children. But I think encouraging someone and even warning them to test all things by the Scriptures is right and prudent.

I will share one experience of my own. No, this does not validate my points. But this happened to me before someone ever told me I wasn't allowed to have visions. For me to say this didn't happen would be a lie.

This happened to me many years ago while I was memorizing a passage of Scripture. The Scripture is:

Psalm 38
    5Thy mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens; and thy faithfulness reacheth unto the clouds.

6Thy righteousness is like the great mountains; thy judgments are a great deep: O LORD, thou preservest man and beast.

7How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.

8They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of thy house; and thou shalt make them drink of the river of thy pleasures.

9For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light.

I was a new Christian and as I was rehearsing the verse out loud, I stopped being full of joy at the Word of God and asked the Lord a question. I asked Him if what was written here was a real place or was it speaking figuratively.

After I asked my question I was suddenly filled with the Holy Spirit and great joy and the Spirit of God enveoloped me like a cloud. I closed my eyes and began to sing and praise God for His greatness.

Whether I opened my eyes, I don't know, or kept them shut, I am not sure, but I looked and saw a great large green pasture. This place was filled with light and there was no sun. It reminded me of the Scripture that teaches in Heaven there is no sun.

I was astonished at the vibrance of the color of the grass and marveled how the grass was full of light.

I looked and saw a tree planted by a stream or river, and an angel (I think it was an angel) standing by the tree. My initial thought was how much I wanted to be over there.

When I had this thought, I looked again and this time was standing next to the angel looking into this stream. The water of the stream was clear and clean, and sparkeled like our waters do in the sun, but this light was from itself.

My only thought at that time was how much I wanted a drink from the stream!

At that thought the angel cupped his hand and reached into the stream and brought the water to my lips. As the water touched my lips I was again filled with the Holy Spirit and great joy, peace and love.

And then I looked and no longer saw this wonderful place, but was where I was before when I was memorizing Scripture.

I believe what I saw was heaven and God's way of answer my question about Psalm 38. I believe the river of His good pleasure is His Holy Spirit that He gives us to drink of.

The Lord has not given me another such experience again, but I would welcome it greatly.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

RB, I have a friend that had a similar experience while reading scripture. She doesn't tell many people because they would think she was nuts. I believe her and I also believe that God gives us as individuals just what we need at the time.
    I too have had dreams, but I won't go into detail. I would love to have a vision like yours!
    I think God has revealed everything to "the church" in His word, but I also think He reveals things to individuals because He is our Father and talks to His children as individuals just as we do to our own children.

20. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heheh, I've never had any visions like RB either, but the Lord has certainly shined on me many, many times and has made my heart to soar like a hawk.

Thanks for sharing that RB. The friend I was referring to in my previous post has had visions similar to that; and if you all knew him you would be like me and others, there's no reason at all to doubt him.