1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Viva de Cinco de Mayo

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Squire Robertsson, May 5, 2004.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On this date in 1862, the Nationalists lead by President Bentio Juarez defeated Imperialist supporters of the Archduke Maximillian at the Battle of Puebla. While this battle did not end the French attempt to install a monarchy in Mexico, it was the their Battle of Saratoga, the beginning of the end.

As far as I am concerned this is a date that should be celebrated both sides of the Rio Grande/Bravo. If the Imperialistas had won, it would have broken back of the Nationalist resistence. From my observation of history, this Imperialist victory would have allowed Maximilian to consolidate his control of Mexico.

Remember, this is 1862. The War north of the Rio Bravo is just over a year old with its outcome still up in the air. It is not unreasonable to assume Maximilian would have said to his new subjects:
    I am now standing by for Dr. Bob's corrections. [​IMG]

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Feliz Cinco de Mayo everyone!!!

I'll be celebrating Cinco De Mayo tonight at a local Mexican Restaurant that I visit frequently.

Interestingly, many people assume 5-5 is Mexican Independence Day. Nope, sorry, that's 9-16. Celebrated in Mexico, of course, but not celebrated as much (happy hour excepted) in the States.

Now, if we're talking foreign celebrating, I can't wait until Oktoberfest!!!

3. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The story I read on why Cinco de Mayo rather than the 16th of September (Mexican Independence Day) goes to the practicalities of Chicano student politics in the 60s and 70s. Back in the Day, Black students had pushed for the recognition of MLK's birthday and the Chicano activists wanted a day to celebrate their ethnicity. The 16 of September came too early in the school year for them to get anything properly organized so the settled on what on the Rio Bravo side of the river is a relatively minor holiday.

The other story I've come across is the one of a Mexican brewery which wanted to expand their market into Texas. The folks at Dos Equis looked around for a non-threatening holiday and settled on May 5. The next thing people knew the various then small Cinco de Mayo celebrations started to receive funding from the XX sales and advertising departments.

Either way think of what would have happened if the Imperialistas had marched north towards Santa Fe or San Antonio. Or had done a deal to relieve the blockade of New Orleans in exchange for parts of New Mexico, Arizona and west Texas.

[ May 05, 2004, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Squire Robertsson ]

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In honor of 5 May, I had meatloaf for dinner and pizza for supper. Don't say I'm a party-pooper.

¿Qué haces esta noche?

5. mioque

mioque New Member

"Interestingly, many people assume 5-5 is Mexican Independence Day."
    5-5 is ofcourse the Dutch independance day.

6. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read the Dutch also comemorate it as Liberation Day (from the Nazis in '45).

7. mioque

mioque New Member

"I've read the Dutch also comemorate it as Liberation Day (from the Nazis in '45)."
    That would be the event I was referring to.
    The end of the 80 years war (the Dutch war for independance) on 15 may 1648 (peace of Munster) isn't a holiday in my country.

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shouldn't that be Viva el Cinco de Mayo ?

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We would say "5th" of May instead of "5" of May.

Is using the "5" of May a "spanish" thingy?

10. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Weell, that has improved my knowledge of things Mexican, until now the only Mexican that I knew about were those horrible corn chips, yummy salsa and a few other few related products.....

11. mozier

mozier New Member

Cinco De Mayo is a huge holiday here in Tallahassee, Florida.

But only because it is a college town with many college students still in town, all with the purpose of getting seriously loaded on Coronas.

The police had a field day the other night with the partyers getting pulled over.

For me, Cinco De Mayo is just like St. Patrick's Day. A holiday that has been completely Americanized for the purpose of getting drunk.

mozier