1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vols and Bruce

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Bob Alkire, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

#1 Bob Alkire, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2011
  2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

There's much more here than meets the eye. Where to begin.....

1. UT AD Mike Hamilton has recently become very sensitive to the media scrutiny, especially over the bungling his office made of the release of the letter of allegations and the redactions, then the subsequent re-release.

2. UT Chancellor Jimmy Cheek recently became fed up with Hamilton and has decided to take the reins. By reversing course, it spells bad news for Hamilton. Hamilton is NOT heading up the search for the new coach. What does that tell you?

3. No question Bruce committed violations. But he was publicly stated to be the guy for the overwhelming majority of this time. Now, these so called additional possible violations (alleged at best) means someone suddenly grew a conscience? Please. It was a bungling of Old Testament proportions.

There is much more going on. I would not bet anything that Mike Hamilton would be the AD by the end of next year, and it could come much quicker than than if a couple of big donors like Haslam and Thornton have their way. Everyone with a microphone is saying the only thing wrong with firing Pearl is that Hamilton didn't go with him. A recent poll in Knoxville showed that, even among people favoring the firing of Bruce, a whopping 9 out of 10 favored firing of Hamilton. His record?

- Fired successful Baseball coach Rod Delmonico. Hired Todd Raleigh, believed to be on life support since UT has not made the SEC tournament under his leadership;
    - Fired Buzz Peterson, and before hiring Pearl (which a trained monkey could do) word leaked he would've brought back Peterson had Peterson reimbursed UT for unsold concessions. Seriously.
    - Fired legendary Phil Fulmer and hired never do well Lane Kiffin who brought the NCAA police to town under his renegade leadership and overpriced coaching staff. ROI? 7-6 and one season
    - Bungled the hiring of Kiffin's replacement, angering trustees in the process. (Two big name coaches were signed and sealed, but Hamilton's bean counting scared them away)
    - Bungled the Bowl negotiations for UT's last bowl
    - PR fiasco over UT's schedule with North Carolina.
    - Publicly threw the beleagured basketball coach under the bus hours before tip off of the post-season

I could list more. But I'd have to vomit first.

#2 TomVols, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2011
  3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Tom as you know I'm not a fan of Mike Hamilton. As I have said on this board in the past I lost respect for Mike Hamilton when he fired Coach Fulmer and ton of respect for UT fans who tried to say it was a good move to fired Phil Fulmer. Even coaches that I have heard speak on Coach Fulmer being fired were very upset such as Houston Nut, Steve Spurrier, Mark Richt and Bobby Bowden. I'm sure there were other but I heard the above listed ones, so I know they were not happy about it.

I hope you folks can get rid of Hamilton.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I never heard of Spurrier blasting the move. However, Nutt, Bowden, Rich Brooks, former OSU and Knoxville native John Cooper were vehemently unsettled by the move. There is a mountain of statistical evidence why the move might have been needed. But even that was botched by Hammy in terms of timing, etc.

Hammy's days are numbered.

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I believe the first time I heard that Spurrier was upset over it was in Columbia a day or two after they had beat the Vols in Fulmers last year, before Coach Fulmer was let go and at a few of his speaking engagements. But I missed Brooks and Cooper, so missing some isn't bad, but it shows how many didn't agree.

I heard that the Vols has hired 39-year-old Cuonzo Martin as the Vols’ next roundball head coach. Martin said he doesn't know what kind of sanctions the Vols may face next season. Man has guts on that move, I would want to know what all I was getting into.

#5 Bob Alkire, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011
  6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

No one knows for sure. That's one of the arguments for keeping Pearl. You're likely gonna get slapped anyway, according to the COI Chair. Hamilton believed firing Pearl would let the Vols off the hook. No one knows what Kiffin is going to say to try to cover his bacon. And while Pearl and the staff could get a Show Cause, the school may not be exonerated. Martin had 1.3 million reasons to come to Tennessee, and aside from UK, you have the most tradition rich bball program in the SEC and some of the most ardent basketball fans. I know UT isn't Duke, but UT is no Southern Miss or Saint Louis either.

As of today, for the first time in a few years, the football coach now makes more than the basketball coach. How's that for a so-called football school?

7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Wish you Vols the best, except for a couple times a year.

8. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well he really ruined the reputation of the basketball team. As he has only himself to blame. But we have heard and seen of worse before. As Mike Hamilton does need to be let go. And find a AD that can really be a great character guy!

9. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Many schools need more character guys as AD's as well as coaches. But so many fans want to win at any and all cost. Also to many fans are worried that other schools are cheating more than they are. As with my children I want my school punished when they breaks the rules, even if no other child or school is punished.

10. Borneol

Borneol New Member

Saw that Cuonzo Martin got the job at Tennessee. Nice contract for him. Have to imagine us older Illini fans will have a more favorable view now that Tennessee has let go Peal and hired a popular former Big Ten player to replace him. Hope it works out.

http://www.herald-review.com/app/blogs/blogs/?p=4016

From the article:

11. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

While not a Vols basketball fan, how does Mike Hamilton keep his job? Clearly one of the worst AD's I have ever seen.