1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Voter fraud

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Mar 13, 2012.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't answer the question. You gave a hypothetical.

No, I'm not saying that there should not be a registered list of voters. When people register to vote, they must provide an address to prove they live within the boundaries of the voting district. The address can be verified by cross-referencing property records. In Minnesota if a person wishes to register to vote on election day and they are not a property owner someone must accompany that person and vouch for them as residing in the voting district.

I don't know how they do it in your state but in Minnesota when you ask to have a ballot they ask you your name and your address. Then they look it up in a big book with names and addresses in it. Then they require you to sign your name on the line next to the printout of your name and address.

Voting is a right. Why would someone need to have a government issued photo ID to exercise a constitutional right?

Sure, it's a private business (which may be regulated) and owning cigarettes/beer is not a constitutional right.

Sure they should be prohibited if they don't appear to be over 21 years old. Same thing if a young black women shows up at the polling place and says her name is Ernest Hemingway.

BTW, could you please give examples of voter fraud technique? I can think of using dead people's names but what other types are there? Non-residents voting? Someone using a fraudulent address? Please give scenarios as to how someone could game the system and get away with it.

2. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is it carried out? Can you give examples?

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My thoughts....

...are that no matter how hard we try, there is going to be some amount of FRAUD in public elections. Personally, I can only hope and pray that it is so minimal, that it has no real effect on the outcome!

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/headline/flashback-voter-fraud-persists-in-south-texas/

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Vote_fraud_in_Texas

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2670598/posts

It's been going on for years. Getting paid for your vote is not unusual- of course they don't pay cash but you get a free lunch and a ride to the polls and someone to help you push the 'right' (left :smilewinkgrin:) buttons. They make a show to 'prosecute' politiqueras but nothing comes of it.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Actually, my example is not hypothetical.
    Read this news story link from KTRK-TV

and be sure to read the very last line!!!

Excellent questions - can anyone else think of an example of what you might need ID for to excerise a constitutional right?

Sorry, I could only answer one question - but I have to leave 2 minutes ago for work.

6. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Describes people bringing others to the polls and helping them with the process of voting. Are they influencing how the voter votes? Looks like it. Is that fraud? Unsure. In any event, I don't see how a photo ID would stop it.

Discussing mishandling of ballots and possible mail in voting fraud. Again, photo IDs would be useless against this sort of thing. There was an interesting bit about undocumented voter registration, but there was no actual voting fraud alleged.

This article describes the practice of 'politiqueras' assisting voters to get to the polling places and then helping them vote. This is not illegal per se, but a proposed law would limit the politiqueras to only helping up to two people in this manner. Photo IDs? Useless in this circumstance.

7. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Constitutional right? Good one! :laugh:

Still living in the past I see.

8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Voter ID laws are neither constitutional, nor are they necessary or helpful. Bottom up cheating, such as voting on behalf of a dead person, is negligible.

MUCH more dangerous to the system, is TOP DOWN cheating. Why are we still using electronic voting machines that were shown in open court to be unreliable and easily manipulated? Why are voters being tricked, bullied, and ignored? What about the caucas shenanigans that the GOP establishment has pulled on us across the country, in order to keep normal grassroots folks out of leadership positions, and to keep their chosen Romney-bot in the lead?

Instead of having a voter I.D. law, why not make elections open? Make anyone who votes, have to fill out a ballot that includes their name, phone number, and ballot choices. These could then be posted online, and accessible to EVERYONE in a real-time, online tabulation. If you look online, and your vote is wrong, you file a grievance requesting it be corrected. If you saw someone online that had voted, and you knew they were dead, you file a grievance, submit a death certificate copy, and the vote is removed from the tabulation.

What on EARTH would be wrong with that?

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

A fine arguement! Too bad it'll fall on deaf ears, again.

How about counting the votes in public instead of sneaking off to secret locations or counting them behind closed doors? How about making sure the chain of custody is sound?

#29 poncho, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2012
  10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question. Why would someone need a government "social security card" to get a job? Why do I have to show an FAA license to an aircraft rental agency to rent a plane?

The idea that buying alcohol or tobacco or borrowing a library book are activities that a person must show he or she has met the identification requirements to engage in, while voting for government officials is not, is an incredible contradiction of logic civically, socially, and ethically.

11. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Those things are not fundamental rights. You don't have a "right" to a library card (the government, in fact, has no business stealing tax payer money to fund libraries in the first place). You DO have a right to vote.

12. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

You have a right to cast a vote. No telling where it goes or who it goes to after that.

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've said that more than once here. The constitution does not guarantee anyone the right to vote. If there is another source that guarantees that right, what is it?

14. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

The cartridge box.

15. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Try BOTH Article I section II, and the fifteenth amendment.... "The right of citizens of the United States to vote..."

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where in Article I, sec II does it say "Right....to vote"
    unless I missed it.

The 15th says
    "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude"

The 19th says
    "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex."

Actually, those two amendments do not give the right to vote - they only ensure a person is not denied the right based on the the conditions as stated above.

Actually prior to the amendments, women (for example) were not prohibited to vote by Federal law - possibly by state or Commonwealth - the 19th only, as stated above, states the right to vote cannot be denied based on sex.

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? Article I Section II establishes the House of Representatives and the only way in which it even alludes to a right to vote is using "electors" as a subject. And the 15th Amendment names 3 bases upon which the right to vote cannot be denied, as do 3 other amendments. A reason that right cannot be denied does not guarantee a right to anyone.

18. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

LOL. What wonderful logic. If I tell you "Your right to vote cannot be denied," I am acknowledging that you have a RIGHT TO VOTE.

Article I, Section II states:

"chosen every second Year by the People of the several States"

Not to mention the 26th amendment gives the "right to vote" to all persons 18 years of age and older.

Also, the 24th amendment forbids charging money for voting; so unless you are going to hand out I.D.'s for free, you would be violating this amendment, as well.

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, if you take that to the extreme
    1) than children of ANY age should not be denied the right to vote.
    2) than convicted prisoners should not be denied the right to vote
    3) than a person who moved from California to Virginia the day before the election should not be denied the right to vote
    4) then the mentally retarded should not be denied the right to vote
    5) than illegal aliens should not be denied the right to vote

You see, all the above are people!!!

20. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Children are also denied the right to pursue happiness. That does not make it any less a right. By your definition, there are no rights, just privileges "graciously granted" by our government!