1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Voter ID laws

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 16, 2012.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

They won't be disenfranchised if all they have to do is prove they are who they say they are, especially in states that provide free ID cards.

BTW, this is a rare thread which is accomplishing exactly what I hoped for - to force me to see the other side.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Sure have heard of it. That's a discrimination amendment. It prevents discriminatory voting practices. It DOES NOT guarantee a right to vote.

There is no Constitutional right to vote. And that can be seen in that we don't vote for Electors who DO vote to elect the President.

That's why we've got 50 states who set their own electoral polices and procedures.

So contrary to what you're saying, there is NOT and never has been a Constitutional right to vote.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I find the system here quite balanced. As an Irish citizen (still American as well BTW) I receive a polling card in the post. I take that to the poll worker who checks it against the registry.

If a poll worker has any question as to the validity they have the right to require a photo id. If I cannot prove my eligibility to vote I cast a provisional ballot.

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State...

Granted, I do not have a copy in front of me, but if this is quoted from the Constitution it sure says that citizens do have the right.

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Nope. That's still in regards to discrimination. There is no Constitutional right to vote. If there were, the many states couldn't keep producing all these different reasons why they can take voting rights away or they wouldn't be able to say you've got to be 18 to vote.

#25 Zaac, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2012
  6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

They do have the right to vote but that does not mean that states do not have the right to make sure those voting are duly registered citizens as long as it does not violate that part of the amendment you omitted:

I would also note that those under the age of 18 are not eligible to vote!

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amendment 15
    Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Amendment 19
    The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

Amendment 26
    Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

So if I'm a member of the human race, male or female, and over the age of 18 I HAVE A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO VOTE.

Sheesh, I hope you don't interpret the Bible in such an obtuse manner as you read the U.S. constitution.

This is getting off topic....

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Going to the polling place and answering:

What is your name?
    What is your address?
    Prove it by putting your signature right here.

Is not enough proof?

If you say no, what do you do about fake photo IDs?

The requirement of photo IDs is another can of worms. In Texas you can use your concealed weapon permit but not a college photo ID. In Wisconsin you can use your college ID, provided it has current address, birth date, signature and two-year expiration date – requirements that no college or university ID in the state currently meets. In South Carolina, in order to get the "free voter ID" you have to pay for a birth certificate. Sounds like a poll tax in disguise to me. Guess what? Many elderly blacks in South Carolina were born during segregation at home and don't have birth certificates. They would have to go to family court, call witnesses, etc. to prove their identity, just so they would be able to vote.

I was on the photo ID law bandwagon until I did some research. It's a government program waiting on a problem to solve.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The argument that incidents of voter fraud are negligible is the dumbest argument that can be made.

Since there is no mechinism in place to catch them, we need a mechanism to stop them at the poll.

Even the small amount that has been discovered changed the results of more than one election.

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Apparently you know as little about the Constitution as you know about God's word.

There is no Constitutional right to vote. The Supreme Court ruled on it a long time ago.

What you listed are amendments that set the framework for reasons you cannot keep someone from voting.

If there were a Constitutional right to vote, then states couldn't take that right away from felons or anyone else. Ignoring the truth seems to be the specialty on this board.

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very nice self-righteous smack-down. You're on a roll of late.

Citation please.

Yes, states tried to bar people from voting and the US constitution was amended using this language:

The right of citizens of the United States to vote

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do have a right to vote but only citizens have that right.

Voter ID laws do not infringe on that right

Opposing voter ID laws is absurd and an extreme position to take.

13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Maybe we need to reference that little pot and kettle that y'all are always talking about. Your hypocrisy is always on display. If you can't take it, don't serve it up.

You're at a computer. Look it up yourself. Now start all your ballyhooing about "that's what I thought. You don't have an answer".:laugh:

The US Constitution was amended as to reasons states COULD NOT block certain folks from voting.

It has NEVER granted the right to vote.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you, of course, know the truth.

Puh-leeeze. :rolleyes:

If your truth can travel, take it with you when you go the way of so many other trolls that have temporily lurked around here.

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Puh-leeeze :rolleyes: is right.

The only trolls around here are the old " I been here for a long time and got a lot of posts so I can dismiss you by calling you a troll" trolls. Y'all must be mating.
    [​IMG]

Everybody Knows That Old Trolls Don't Like to Be Challenged

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to see your supporting evidence on this. although admittedly even if it were true ( and I highly doubt it is) any fraud is unacceptable.

I am not aware of anyone opposing the requirement for a photo ID to purchase a gun.

This is just patently false. Requiring a photo ID is required for a great many things and no one calls it a "string". In the short time I have seen you post you usually seem pretty level headed. That gets lost with your position on this issue. I find your point here very odd.

I fail to understand how requiring a legitimate photo ID sets up any bureaucracy at all.

OK well then we need to have that discussion also but that does not negate the need for ID's.

This is false. State ID's are available for non-drivers. And even if it were true the greater damage here is the risk of a fraudulent vote. That trumps any other issue.

Then that is their decision and if they want to vote it is an irresponsible one. We do not owe them the right to vote without showing who they are. That is a liberal argument if ever I saw one.

Ok but that is not a reason to let everyone in the world come to our country and claim to be a citizen that can vote.

To bad for lazy people.

Baloney

Again we are not obligated to assist lazy and irresponsible people.

It does not need to be funded. No money required. Just one simple question. "Show me your ID."

That is just pure bunk. There is not any need for one red cent.

17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

If citizens had that right, states couldn't take it away for arbitrary reasons. If citizens had that right, states couldn't dictate that you have to be 18 to vote.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the dumbest thing I have heard in a long time.

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

His points are consistently wrong.:laugh:

20. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

THey don't; take it away that is!

The US Constitution sets the voting age at 18, as has been pointed out.