1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Voting age

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Apr 2, 2010.

?
  1. Should be raised to 25

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. Should be raised to 21

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Leave at 18

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  4. lower to 16

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 16 & 17 year olds should get 1/2 of a vote

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Allow each State or Commonwealth to set their own age

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. Other answer

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Yet another leap of logic. Being in a combat zone is not the same as attending school....well, in most cases anyway. :tongue3:

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the legal age of majority should be consistent. I can see the arguments for keeping the drinking age at 21, but I don't think that it's necessarily a "fair" law.

If an 18 year old can execute legal contracts, I see no reason to deny him or her the right to vote. I don't buy the argument of dependency on parents, either. Stay-at-home mothers are dependent on their husbands financially, but they still have the right to vote.

As a matter of consistency, I don't think the House or Senate or Presidency should have age requirements beyond the voting age of 18. However, I wouldn't make an issue of this because realistically changing this age probably wouldn't make much difference in the demographics of Congress or the Presidency.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, my mistake, I forgot to mention it was an analogy of absurdity.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I agree with you, though a provision should be made for those who have toiled over the year by faithfully paying taxes.

5. billwald

billwald New Member

It would be an interesting experiment if only people who had served in the military could vote. I think it would be a more peaceful world.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um...probably not.

Those that have served in the military usually understand the necessity of war.

Not saying they like it. Just that they understand that when all other tools of diplomacy have failed, it's a final option to be used.

It would be interesting to do a survey of veterans to find out if your theory holds any water. But I have to say, 90% of the military folks I've served with over the last 22 years would most likely disagree with you.

And typically, around election time, the military tends to vote towards whoever's gonna ensure the military will continue to receive funding. Haven't seen any statistics on how the military voted last presidential election, though.

#26 Don, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2010
  7. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If You're Old Enough to Fight for America...

... you've probably heard this argument before, and I truly believe it is as valid today as it has been for as long as it has been used.

HOWEVER, maybe there should be two different age standards. One for those who are in the armed services, and one for those who are still living at home, going to school, or, who have yet to find a job and make it on their own.

Finally, it should be noted that voting is a right, not a privilege or an entitlement. Many died for the right to vote... and too many people have forgotten that America and the right to vote was paid for with too many life's. :tear:

I'm sure this will get some flack, but, it is my opinion.

By the way, Salty, GREAT question and even better post.:wavey:

Pastor Paul :type:

#27 righteousdude2, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2010