1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wal-Mart faces boycott for 'banning' Christmas

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Mexdeaf, Nov 10, 2005.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True and I believe I said as much, so why would any Christian willingly want to remove the name of Christ from the holiday?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I don't gleen my ceremonial customs and traditions from department store signeage, and most certainly do not rely on them to support my faith practices.

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I definitely won't remove the name of Christ from the holiday. I definitely celebrate the birth of my Lord and will pass that on to my children.

I definitely won't need any validation of my celebration from the signage of any government group or commercial enterprise. They must meet the needs of folks from many different backgrounds, many who do not share my beliefs or celebrate the same holy days that I do. Many of those folks have holy days during the same time that I celebrate Christmas and it is right for the government and commercial entities to recognize this diversity with inclusive language.

4. kubel

kubel New Member

It's too late. See how many people get worked up over lies. There's no stopping them now. [​IMG] .

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

humm, not true, just this afternoon I looked at the christmas itmes at Wal Mart. Christmas is all over the place there.

Not true, check this out
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/search-ng.gsp?search_redirect=false&dept=0&search_query=christmas

i ahve seen absoutly nothing to suggest Wal Mart has banned christmas in anyway what so ever. After all it is one of their biggest selling seasons of the whole year.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Isn't there anyone else who thinks when we post news articles they need to be true ones?

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It's official. WND lied (like that's the first time). We need to bookmark this to use the next time the "WND is a worthy and credible news source" pundits rear their ignorant heads.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not true, check this out
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/search-ng.gsp?search_redirect=false&dept=0&search_query=christmas

i ahve seen absoutly nothing to suggest Wal Mart has banned christmas in anyway what so ever. After all it is one of their biggest selling seasons of the whole year.
    </font>[/QUOTE]When I went to your sight and clicked on find, I was sent to a page that said:

"We've brought you to our "Holiday " page based on your search." Just like the article said.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It says
    "Not what you're looking for? View a list of items that match your search for "christmas"."

and then says

"7967 items found for “christmas”"

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, I've reread the story more than once and tried all their links. I can't find a false statement in their story. The Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights really is trying to organize a boycott for the reasons stated. You may not agree with their assessment of Wal-Marts actions but the story is, I believe, factual.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No sir. It's there. Did you click on "find"?

12. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Catholic advocacy group has launched a national boycott against Wal-Mart, claiming the world's No. 1 retailer has in effect "banned" Christmas, while promoting other seasonal holidays such as Hanukkah and Kwanzaa
    ------------------------------
    Although I would prefer a boycott over such issues as child labor violations, NLRB violations.Illegal immigration violations, or any number of illegalities this massive corporation and political donor could be accused of......ah forget it...i'll take it

13. billreber

billreber New Member

Some few years ago, I participated in a church Christmas program, starring as Santa Claus. (I know, someone will start hollering "heresy".)

The program started with a line of children waiting to sit on my lap. They were loudly proclaiming their favorite "wants", when Santa insisted on telling them REAL reason for the season. The rest of the program was a retelling of the birth of Christ as recorded in Matthew and Luke, with the kids acting out the parts.

At the end of the program, Santa is seen bowing before the manger, worshipping Jesus. The lights go out, and when they come back on, Santa is gone, and only Jesus remains to be seen.

I think that Wal-Mart is doing a good thing, trying to be open to other groups of people. After all, they ARE a commercial enterprise. However, are we? No, we are the people of God. Shouldn't we be just as open when talking with/shopping with/visitting with our neighbors?

Bill

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Hmmm...

I threw this out because I wanted to see what kind of response it would get. I'm quite surprised at the amount and variety of responses.

Maybe the biggest surprise is how quickly it turned from a 'Wal-Mart' issue to a credibility of 'WND' issue. I try to balance out my reading of on-line newspapers with 'WND' and 'World' magazines. No news source is perfect, of course, but I am thankful for the balance that 'WND' and 'World' provide.

Since we're already at 3 pages, I'll shut up now.
    :X

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

It may be true that the organisation is calling for a boycott. WND did not totally lie, but they were misleading. I simplyt went to Wal-Mart's website, typed in Christmas, then clicked where it said "Not what you're looking for? View a list of items that match your search for "christmas", then saw a list of almost 8,000 Christmas items. The basis for their boycott is invalid.

And as this in on page three, I will go ahead and issue the six hour warning. This thread will be closed no earlier that 0800 EST today.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Closed at 0930 EST