1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Walkington's Works

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gleanings In The Godhead

The Foreknowledge Of God

What scriptural ground is there for anyone to say God "foreknew" the acts of certain ones , i.e. , their "repenting and believing ," and that because of those acts He elected them unto salvation ? The answer is , None whatever . Scripture never speaks of repentance and faith as being foreseen or foreknown by God ... The word uniformly refers to God's foreknowing persons ; then let us "hold fast the form of sound words" ( 2 Timothy 1:130 .
    [ The Scriptures plainly and implicitly teach ] that God's foreknowledge is not causative ; that instead , something else lies behind , precedes it -- something that is His own sovereign decree . Christ was "delivered by the [1] determinate counsel and [2] foreknowledge of God" ( Acts 2:23 ) . His counsel or decree was the ground of His foreknowledge . So again in Romans 8:29 . That verse opens with the word FOR , which tells us to look back to what immediately precedes . what , then , does the previous verse say ? This : " All things work together for good to them ... who are the called according to his purpose ." Thus God's foreknowledge is based upon his purpose , or decree ( see Psalm 2:7 ) .

2. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Forknowledge

God forknew so He also predestined.

God forknowledge of who would believe equals out with the rest of the scripture that God loved the world that He sent His Son and that He wants all men to be saved andf come to the knowledge of the truth without changing the scripture to suit our doctrine.

God doesn't want anyone to perish, so the same hope as you got we all got and His name is Jesus.

God is no respecter of person, so the same hope you have the world does and His name is Jesus.

Who can save me from this body of death, praise be to Jesus.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gleanings In The Godhead

The Foreknowledge Of God

Why He chose the ones He did , we do not know . We can only say , " Even so , Father : for so it seemed good in thy sight " ( Matthew 11:26) . The plain truth of Romans 8:29 is that God , before the foundation of the world , singled out certain sinners and appointed them unto salvation ( 2 Thessalonians 2:13 ) . This is clear from Romans 8:29 " For whom he did foreknow , he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son." God did not predestinate those whom He were conformed . On the contrary , those whom He foreknew ( i.e. , loved and elected ) He predestinated "to be conformed ." Their conformity to Christ is not the cause , but the effect of God's foreknowledge and predestination .

God foreknows what will be because He has decreed it . It is therefore a reverse order of Scripture , putting the cart before the horse , to affirm that God elects because He foreknows people . The truth is , He foreknows because He has elected . This removes the cause of election from outside the creature and places it in God's own sovereign will . God purposed in Himself to elect a certain people , not because of anything good in them , either actual or foreseen , but solely out of His own [ good -- Rip ] pleasure .

4. psalms109:31

Who He choose

It is God's good pleasure to save whosoever believes in His Son.

Those are who He chose to be saved.

That whosoever believes in His Son shall not operish but have eternal life.

Everyone of us are headed for condemnation and God provided us a way out through His Son.

It is God's good pleasure to do this and we are His messengers.

8But what does it say? "The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart," that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: 9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. 11As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." 12For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

14How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gleanings in The Godhead

The Foreknowledge Of God

It is highly important for us to have clear and scriptural views of the foreknowledge of God . Erroneous conceptions about it lead inevitably to thoughts most dishonoring to Him . The popular idea of divine foreknowledge is altogether inadequate . God not only knew the end from the beginning , but also He planned , fixed , and predestined everything from the beginning . And , as cause stands to effect , so God's purpose is the ground of His prescience . If , then , the reader is a true Christian , he is so because God chose him in Christ before the foundation of the world ( Ephesians 1:4 ) ; and chose you not because He foresaw you would believe , but simply because it pleased Him to choose ; chose you notwithstanding your natural unbelief . This being so , all glory and praise belongs alone to Him . You have no ground for taking any credit to yourself . You have 'believed through grace " ( Acts 18:27 ) , and that , because your very election was "of grace" ( romans 11:5 ) .

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Quoted for truth. ;)

7. psalms109:31

God foreknew

It is hard for you to concur with scripture it is easier to concur with pink instead of the word of God.

I do not receive any praise. The wages of my sin is death, not belief

The only thing i can do to save myself is to die eternally, but that is not salvation but death.

Praise goes to Jesus.

We are saved by grace through faith in Jesus. It is not by our work that we are saved but the work of Jesus.

Faith is required and our faith is given to us by God through His word. We just accept it.

A gift free or not you have to accept it to receive it.

#67 psalms109:31, May 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2007
  8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Imagine that ! Your final post was edited !

I agree with "that noble exegete" as long as he agrees with Scripture . In the words of Spurgeon regarding Calvin's works : " I agree with them in the main ."

Mr. Ps. , it would do you well to actually read Pink . Your little refutations don't stack up against his solid biblical approach . His writings are saturated with Scripture ( they are 'bibline" as Spurgeon said of Bunyan's writings . )

How , pray tell , does your following statement square with Scripture ? " The only thing i can do to save myself is to die eternally ." So going to Hell is going to "save" you ? That is very nonsensical .

#68 Rippon, May 24, 2007
  9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Is it hard for you to read someone who uses tons of scripture to support his points (Pink)? Or should we instead defer to you, who provided nothing but opinions in this post and no scripture?

This concept is so easy it truly baffles me as to why so many people don't get it. If salvation hinges upon whether man accepts or rejects it, then man deserves some of the glory for that decision, because it is man who makes the difference between being saved and unsaved.

I've only known one free-willer on these boards who grasped that. He basically said, "So what? Why shouldn't we get some of the credit?" I'm glad he's gone now, but if he deserved any credit, it is credit for being honest on this one point.

#69 npetreley, May 24, 2007
  10. psalms109:31

Pink

Pink can't evenm agree that God loved the world that He senbnt His Son, just like many calvinist without changing the scripture to suit thier doctrine.

Some see scripture through the eyes of predestination that they can't even understand in the first place.

I see scripture even predestination through the eyes of loving the world that He sent His Son.

i do not lean on my own understanding of the word world, but trust the Lord and He will lead me to all truth.

God does want all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth even if you don't agree with it the way it says.

I will believe God over you

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell you what Mr. Ps. Why don't you start your own little thread about how wrong AWP was on these issues . Of course you have to actually quote him in the course of discrediting him .

But , as it is , you are disturbing a perfectly fine thread of AWP quotes on a variety of biblical doctrines .

12. psalms109:31

Knowledge

They have the key to knowledge in which they themselves have not entered and they preventing the ones who are trying to enter.

The ones who are disturbed is the one's who do not understand that God does loved the world and the hope He has given to the world through Jesus Christ.

If God came down from heaven and said He loved the world, men will call Him a liar.

13. psalms109:31

Jesus

2 Corinthians 5:16So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 18All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God.

2 Peter 3:16
    He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

1 Timothy 2:3This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 5For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6who gave himself as a ransom for all men—the testimony given in its proper time. 7And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle—I am telling the truth, I am not lying—and a teacher of the true faith to the Gentiles.

Romans 10:8But what does it say? "The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,"[Deut. 30:14] that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: 9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. 11As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame."[Isaiah 28:16] 12For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."[ Joel 2:32]

14How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"[Isaiah 52:7]

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gleanings In The Godhead

The Supremacy Of God

In one of his letters to Erasasmus , Luther said , " Your thoughts of God are too human ." Probably that renowned scholar resented such a rebuke , the more so , since it proceeded from a miner's son . Nevertherless , it was throughly deserved . We , too , prefer the same charge against the vast majority of the preachers of our day and against those who , instead of searching the Scriptures for themselves , lazily accept their teachings . The most dishonoring conceptions of the rule and reign of the Almighty are now held almost everywhere . To countless thousands , even professing Christians , the God of Scriptures is quite unknown .
    Of old , God complained to an apostate Israel , " Thou thoughtest that I was altogether such an one as thyself " ( Psalm 50:21 ) . Such must now be His indictment against apostate Christendom . Men imagine the Most High is moved by sentiment , rather than by principle . They suppose His omnipotency is such an idle fiction that Satan can thwart His designs on every side . They think that if he has formed any plan or purpose at all , then it must be like theirs , constantly subject to change . They openly declare that whatever power He possesses must be restricted , lest he invade the citadel of man's free will and reduce him to a machine . They lower the all-efficacious atonement , which redeems everyone for whom it was made , to a mere remedy , which sin-sick souls may use if they feel so disposed . They lessen the strength of the invincible work of the Holy Spirit to an offer of the Gospel which sinners may accept or reject as they please .

[ Doesn't AW tell it biblically like very few can ? -- Rip ]

#74 Rippon, May 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2007
  15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gleanings In The Godhead

The Supremacy Of God

The god of this century no more resembles the Sovereign of Holy Writ than does the dim flickering of a candle the glory of the midday sun . The god who is talked about in the average pulpit , spoken of in the ordinary Sunday school , mentioned in much of the religious literature of the day , and preached in most of the so-called Bible conferences , is a figment of human imagination , an invention of maudlin sentimentality . The heathen outside the pale of Christendom form gods of wood and stone , while millions of heathen inside Christendom manufacture a god out of their carnal minds . In reality , they are but atheists , for there is no other possible alternative between an absolutely supreme God and no God at all . A god whose will is resisted , whose designs are frustrated , whose purpose is checkmated , possesses no title to diety and , far from being a fit object of worship , merits nothing but contempt .

16. npetreley

npetreley New Member

This is one of the best parts of The Sovereignty of God.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually my selection of Pink's in post #75 was not from The Sovereignty Of God . It does mirror paragraphs 3 and 4 of the first chapter in SOG called " God's Sovereignty Defined" though .

18. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Where is it from then? I thought I recognized it from SOG.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My post #75 is taken from : The Attributes Of God , otherwise called Exellencies Which Pertain To The Godhead As God . That is part 1 with 25 chapters . The chapter I quoted from was in chapter 5 .

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gleanings In The Godhead

The Supremacy Of God

Here then is a sure resting place for the heart . Our lives are neither the product of blind fate nor the result of capricious chance . Every detail of them was ordained from all eternity and is now ordered by the living , reigning God . Not a hair of our heads can be touched without His permission . " A man's heart deviseth his way ; but the LORD directeth his steps " ( Proverbs 16:9 ) . What assurance , what strength , what comfort this should give the real Christian ! " My times are in thy hand " ( Psalm 31:15 ) . Then let me "rest in the LORD , and wait patiently for him" ( 37:7 ) .