1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Wanna help out John MacArthur?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Nov 13, 2013.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:applause::applause::applause:

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    problem is that MOST of the current/new Charasmatic theology IS indeed driven from the WoF/Positive Confession/faith has power etc, as evidenced by the health/wealth, and new revealtions form so called modern day Apsotles/prophets in the church!

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    again, it all depends on how one views the term "cessationist!"

We hold that the offices in the Church of BOTH prophets/Apostles have ceased, as well as the so called sign gifts like one having Gift to heal, do miracles, give forth revelations from the Lord...

Still hold to God being able to still heal/do miracles. but those are rare, and based upon HIS sovereign purposes...

Do you still see Apostles/prophets now, and some gifted as in Acts were still now for revelations?

4. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, I'll donate funds for a monthly subscription for the Martyn Lloyd-Jones news letter. If anyone thinks it will help just let me know.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think he is saying that both the RCC and those in Charasmatic chaos such as
    WoF/prosperity/Little gods are are all teaching false Gospel, so he is right on that!

Some still saved despite bad theology, by grace of God, but churches still wrong!

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Perhaps, if for no other reason than to offering a concluding thought, I ran across two pieces today that I think are rather helpful in discerning what to so with this whole "Strange Fire" business.

The first is Dr Craig Keener's lengthy book review of the text under question. Keener is a world class theologian and NT scholar who has, and is, writing some great commentaries on NT books. Here is his review:
    http://pneumareview.com/john-macarthurs-strange-fire-reviewed-by-craig-s-keener/

The second is Dr John Piper's thoughts on the conference. I've always found Piper to be a voice of reason and biblicism. He recently addressed the situation via podcast:
    http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/piper-addresses-strange-fire-and-charismatic-chaos

Hope that adds to this.

#46 preachinjesus, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2013
  7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that we MUST divide the pentacostals seperated from chasamatics, as those in say AoG not nearly as bad in theology usually as the so called "new charasmatics!"

And the problem is that while many keep saying those groups ike WoF/healing/prosperity are frindge, they do really seem to be at the core in the current 'restoration" Movement in many Charasamtic churches, along with so called Apostles/prophets!

The basic premise of the "movement" is wrong from a bible base, as they see Azusa in 1906 as being from the lord, restoring Church to Acts days, but was not, and they see it as restoration all 5 fold ministiies, which did not , so there are many saved persons in those groups, who have wrong theology going on, and need to avoid the really bad groups into false heretical stuff like WoF, latter day rain, manifested sons of God etc!

8. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Thanks for sharing Dr. Keener's article. I found him to be very balanced, articulate and insightful regarding the issue.

9. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I watched the video series of Strange Fire. Mac didn't condemn all charismatics. :)

I've also ordered the book and should get it by Monday. I hope it is as good as Charismatic Chaos. I appreciate Mac and the others who stand against this false doctrine and instead stand for truth against status quo and compromise.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the basic problem is that in the new Charasmatics, there cannot be found any biblical basis for ho wthey view the workings of the Spriit at this time!

Which leads to continuing to have extra biblical authorities in modern day prophets/Apostles, and even go in exxtreme measure to deny basic nature of God, and Gospel itself!

11. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Obviously many don't care about any Biblical basis anymore. Instead they care about their own opinions and pragmatism.

Exactly, and this is what happens when the Bible is only CLAIMED as the sole authority for faith and practice when in all actuality it is only talk.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Much of what is passed around in charasmatic circles as "revelations from God" actually came in back door by man named EM Kenyon, and christian science!

the word of faith and other cultic/heretical teachers just added "baptism of HG" to that stuff!