1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

War of Northern Aggression

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Jan 25, 2012.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of the prophecy, and keep the things that are written therein: for the time is at hand. Rev 1:3

And behold, I come quickly. Blessed is he that keepeth the words of the prophecy of this book. Rev 22:7

Reckon that's enough reason alone? :smilewinkgrin:

Is there something you feel to be more pressing for us to do?

#41 kyredneck, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2012
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the word "Reckon" mean, 1. to Guess , (2.) to think about or (3.) To know?

3. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Don't you think that could be enough reason alone?"

#43 kyredneck, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2012
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, who are you addressing with that question KYRED?

5. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MM asked:

"....what is the application for us? Or is it all just a sort of intellectual parlour game?" IOW, "What's it good for? Mental stimulation?"

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well the answer to that question is that it keeps you prepared & on your toes.

"Ever Vigilant"

7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The true blessing in the book of Revelation is that it is the capstone of the entire bible, and there's no other way to approach the book than through the rest of scripture. Revelation is continually nonstop pointing back to what has already been written.

To study Revelation is to study all the scripture.

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Besides, he's Anglo, I suspect he understood the question immediately.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another Backward Hermeneutic for certain

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That must be why their economy in such great shape......however he does have Welsh ancestors....there is something to that.:thumbs:

11. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for that, brother, but I'm not sure that's really application. There is doubtless a blessing in reading any Scripture, but I didn't ask about blessing. But let me ask again in a slightly different way: if you were preaching on the Return of Christ, how would you end your sermon? What application would there be to it?

This is not especially a question to Kyredneck. Anyone can join in.

Steve

12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to be rude, but if I had wanted to delve into this topic, I would have participated on your other thread.

First answer this question and I might answer yours':

In the revelation [apocalypse] of Jesus Christ, please pinpoint the passage that you believe coincides with the 'coming' of 1 Cor 15:23,24.

[edit] ...and this is not especially a question to Martin Marprelate. Anyone can join in.

#52 kyredneck, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
  13. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no problem with aligning 1 Corinthians 15:23 and 24 with the pre-trib rapture or the millennial reign.

The NIV puts a comma in between that others may or may not have:

"But each in his own turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him."​

I personally view it as Christ is the first and also owner of the first fruits and as such has all believers.

So, the resurrection of Christ as the first fruit, and Christ, the first fruits can be viewed as both being equally valid.

Then, "when He comes, those who belong to him" would be the tribulation saints that did not get to participate in the first fruits.

Now, 2 Corinthians 15:24 but within the following verses, too:
    "Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power. 25For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26The last enemy to be destroyed is death. 27For he “has put everything under his feet.”c Now when it says that “everything” has been put under him, it is clear that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ. 28When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all. "
    is also not a problem in the pre-trib millennial view.

The 24th verse standing alone might support an non-millennial view, however the following verses show the millennial view indeed is appropriate. For every day we do NOT see the enemies put under his feet, and that ONLY during the millennial view when Christ's rules as King of Kings with a rod of iron do we see both the world at total peace and the wicked "under his feet." Note in verse 26 the last enemy. Death and hell are cast into the lake of fire when time is over and the heavens and earth are gone in a fervent heat.

What is remarkable is both the exaltation of Christ in this passage, and the subjection of Christ to God that God alone is supreme (verse 28).

The millennial view with a nod to the pre-trib rapture seems to hold the greatest number of verses as non-allegorical and because it does, should be considered more in line with the truth. That does not dispute that allegory is a part of prophecy, just as parables are part of teaching the truth.

Just as parables must have other Scriptures to validate the truth, the prophecies do not stand alone. And when the greatest number point to a non-allegorical view then it should be taken as valid, leaving the rest to allegorical visions attempting to express what was beyond the writer's perceptive living.

However you asked for a specific verse from the Revelation to align with 2 Corinthians. I suggest the following:
    "After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven. And the voice I had first heard speaking to me like a trumpet said, "Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this."

#53 agedman, Jan 30, 2012
  14. beameup

beameup Member

I believe that the original post concerned Ezekiel 38 & 39.
    There has been no invasion into Israel as described in Ezekiel 38-39,
    therefore it is yet future.

15. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, since you won't answer my question, I shall have to answer it myself. Then you can answer your question yourself if you feel like it.

E.W.F. got it right the first time! :thumbs: The application for all eschatology is 'Watch!' The N.T. is full of exhortations to do just that, whether it is the Lord Jesus:-

"Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of man is coming" (Matt 25:13).

Or Paul:-

'But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief. You are all sons of the light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober' (1 Thes 5:4-6).

Or the Writer to the Hebrews:-

'To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation' (Heb 9:28).

Or Peter:-

'Looking for and hastening the coming of the Day of God' (2 Peter 3:12).

Or John:-

'Behold, I am coming as a thief. Blessed is he who watches, and keeps his garments, lest he walk naked and they see his shame' (Rev 16:15).

If your eschatology means that the Lord cannot come for a long time, I suggest that you theology is possibly faulty. If you think that He has already come, you are outside of the orthodox Christian faith. The graet message of the Bible is that the Lord Jesus is coming, and coming suddenly- like a thief in the night. We need to be telling our congregations that they need to be expecting Him, lest they fall into the condemnation of Matt 24:48-51. It is our great encouragement not to love the world- it may pass away at any time, and it is our comfort in times of sickness and/or poverty. 'For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory' (2 Cor 4:17. See also v14).

I'm sorry that your thread got hijacked, but, So what? If it is yet to come, it will come and there's nothing I can do about it. The question is, will you be ready if the Lord returns in your lifetime?

Steve

16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't even know who's thread this is, do you?

#56 kyredneck, Jan 30, 2012
  17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't bother you that you have to work this hard to make this passage fit your view?

But, then again you do have that dispy manual....

[edit] never mind

#57 kyredneck, Jan 30, 2012
  18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm tempted to say, 'what a bunch of hogwash', if it weren't that I knew there is some truth to it. I do have/share some idealist approach to this.

The real edification for us lies in looking back and seeing what has transpired exactly as was foretold. That's the real triumph. But no one wants to look at that. It's all the imaginary fantastical sensational futuristic stuff that has everyone's attention, and the real actual factual solid fulfillments are totally overlooked.

#58 kyredneck, Jan 30, 2012
  19. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Rev 11:15-18

20. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...............never mind..................

#60 kyredneck, Jan 30, 2012