1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Warning concerning Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Olivencia, May 19, 2009.

1. Olivencia

Olivencia New Member

1. On page 522 (pneuma) Matthew 28:19, John 14:16-26, 15:26, 16:13-15 are cited in which it reads that "the Holy Spirit is rhetorically represenated as a Person".

In these passages the Holy Spirit is "rhetorically" a Person?

2. Among several passages John 1:1 and John 20:28 are cited where it reads that it is still dipsuted among theologians as to whether or not Christ is called God (theos, page 287).
    What kind of "theologian" would dispute that Christ is called "God" in these two passages?
    I should point out that on page 366 (kurios) it reads, "after his resurrection Jesus is addressed by the title ho kurios mou kai ho theos mou, John 20:28".

#1 Olivencia, May 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2009
  2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thayer was a Unitarian-didn't believe in the trinity, personal salvation, etc. :type:

3. Olivencia

Olivencia New Member

Thayer does at least give the accurate definition of theotes (Strong's #2320) as used in Colossians 2:9 - "the state of being God" (page 288). Whether he personally believed it seems very doubtful.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever else Thayer was, he was a competent linguist. His lexicon was the standard for decades even among fundamentalists and other evangelicals until Bauer (BAGD) came out. My Dad used him at Wheaton College in the 1940's and then in his ministry. If you are careful about his bad doctrine, Thayer is useful.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

A fair analysis, I'd say.

And considering, as a farmer, I can still see no real good reason to drop a C-note and a half for a 'Bauer', for my infrequent use, I still use 'Thayer', today.

Ed

#5 EdSutton, May 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2009
  6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You guys might find a good fit in Timothy Friberg's Analytical Lexicon of the Greek NT (http://www.amazon.com/dp/1412056543/?tag=baptis04-20).

Friberg's definitions are good, and as an analytical lexicon it parses every word in the NT. Not bad for just $30.60.