1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Warnings & Exhortations:

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by USN2Pulpit, Jul 5, 2004.

1. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I have a question based on a close or open communion mindset (not closed communion0:

What warning & exhortations do you pastors issue prior to the administration of the Lord's Supper?

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I reiterate that the Lord's Supper is a memorial to, proclamation of, celebration of and remeberance of the death of Christ (almost sounds like a sermon outline). By participating in it, you are making a public and private statement that you are a recipient of its blessings. Only those who are certain of their faith in Christ should participate. Some add that you must be Biblically baptised to participate, but that's another discussion altogether [​IMG]

I don't threaten to beat anyone about the head and shoulders with a large Ryrie Study Bible, but I do share that each person is responsible for ensuring that they and particularly their children do not make a mistake.

The best way in my opinion is to address this in a sermon on the Lord's Supper, and keep a printed / recorded copy constantly in front of your people so they can be reminded of the truth.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I go two ways, as I preach in churches that practice open and close (NEVER closed) communion.

Intense warning based on Scripture and reminder of need for walk with God (baptism, confession of sin) in close service.

Simple warning of "memorial" aspect (to avoid confusion with sacramental churches) for anyone who claims to be a Christian in open service.

4. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

I give a full explination that to take communion unworthily is to sin and show in corinthians where paul reveals that many in the congregation have fallen ill because of such sin. Then I explain that to deny the taking of the lords supper is the sin of disobedience as we are commanded to partake. I also mention that to take communion unsaved is useless and is sin (the sin of being lost at least). After that I give a time of silence so that all may confess their sins to the lord and seek forgiveness. This is done while the deacons uncover the table.