1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Warren has an agenda that doesn't include preaching about sin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by matt wade, Apr 8, 2009.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've heard him preach against sin time and time again. You are perpetuating lies about him. That's not very Christ-like.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I ask a question first, I expect an answer before I answer a rebuttal question.

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

annsni, did Warren equate gay marriage with incest and pedophilia? If he did, how did his statements become miscontrued? If he did not, then what did he mean when he said "Oh , I do." in response to the question "Do you think those are equivalent to gays getting married?"?

Again, for the record, I think gay marriage is equated with incest and pedophila, so if Warren believes that it's fine with me.

4. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I was asking questions, not per-pet-u-at'n lies

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He said "There were some things said that -- you know, everybody should have 10 percent grace when they say public statements. And I was asked a question that made it sound like I equated gay marriage with pedophilia or incest, which I absolutely do not believe. And I actually announced that."

Where does it say "Oh, I do."?

6. matt wade

I've already posted it for you. Here it is again from the beliefnet interview. Start listening at 2:00. He says "Oh, I do." at 2:30.

http://www.beliefnet.com/Video/Beli...en-Interview-On-Gay-Marriage-And-Divorce.aspx

7. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I don't know anything about Rick Warren to say one way or the other, but the fact that he has been endorsed by Melissa Etheridge and her "wife" tells me a little something.

I'm being careful not to jump in immediately with a judgement on the matter.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep telling yourself that.

9. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I listened to the clip, and although I don't completely agree with Rev. Graham, he mentions the name of Christ and being called, he sounds a lot like a reformed baptist to me. How ironic!

10. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

I am thinking that Rick is sitting up at night worrying about all the negative comments about his ministry. Is there a possibility that there are those fellow pastors who would love to have a part in discrediting him?

Maybe if he can be "brought down a notch or two" he will quit going after all the sinners. Gee, what kind of church is Saddleback to have so many lost people attending? Isn't the church suppose to be a place of worship for the saved? Good grief, somebody let Rick in on this novel idea!! :rolleyes:

11. matt wade

He sure seems to worry about his "gay friends" being offended by something he might say.

12. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Gee...I watched his national TV Resurrection day presentation last night and, sure enough, our sinful condition was clearly articulated.

:godisgood:

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I was just going to say the same thing. I have never seen Rick Warren before today, or read his books, as I pretty much stay within the local church. I couldnt sleep, so I was flipping through the channels and found a sermon of his on FOX. Lots of his sermon dealt with sin and the consequences of sin.

You know what I think, I think lots of people on this board need an extra hobby, a job, or maybe a second job, if they have time to sit around and do nothing but bash ministers of the Gospel. My guess is that Rick Warren has done more for the kingdom of God than 99% of those flapping their jaws in this thread. My guess is that the computer is the extent of most people's ministry in this thread.

14. Alive in Christ

Saturneptune...

Isnt that the truth. Its unbelievably distasteful. And I feel confident that its not only distastful to us, but to Almighty God as well.

His message and presentation last night was just excellant in my opinion.

15. matt wade

I've generally liked Warren up until these recent comments of his. I've never said he hasn't preached against sin. I've heard him do it. I've also believe that he preaches salvation through faith in Jesus alone and he presents that pretty clearly. All in all, I think he's a decent guy and a decent preacher. However, I do find his recent comments and waffling on this Prop 8 issue to be very concerning. I don't think that any preacher of the Gospel should have "gay friends". Should we preach to homosexuals? Certainly. Should we hang around with and send letters of apology to "gay friends" when we preach against homosexuality? Certainly not.

My guess is that God isn't measuring our success by how well known we are or how many people we have in attendance at our church. For you to sit here and say that "the computer is the extent of most people's ministry in this thread" is not only insulting, it's down right mean and nasty. You have no idea what people on this thread do (and it's none of your business). Warren has made public comments about the issues in this thread. If he doesn't want the public to comment on his comments, he should stop doing interviews and putting himself in the public light.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There is nothing nastier or meaner than to give an overall impression and to in fact start a thread with the premise that a man's ministry is entirely worthless, yet in your last post you back off to some aspects of his ministry. Like I said, I never saw the man speak until this morning, and know nothing about him, but your rants on him and his message this morning to not match.

This is a debate forum. If you cannot take the heat, then get out of the kitchen. I did not mention any names about people needing extra hobbies, as it was just a general comment. One point you are right is that what people do is none of my business, as the relationship between Rick Warren and God is none of yours.

17. matt wade

You are correct that his relationship with God is none of my business, but his public comments on issues are my business. The man does interviews and Larry King Live. By doing that he instantly opens himself up for public comment. Like I said, I've seen the guy preach well in the past, but recently he is floundering on issues like homosexual marriage. Waffling on issues such as that devalues Christianity and what it stands for, and that is my concern.

As for this being a debate forum and not taking the heat, I seem to recall that you were the one that came to this thread and said that many of us "have time to sit around and do nothing but bash ministers of the Gospel". If you can't take our bashing of a guy that is distorting God's word, then take yourself out of the kitchen.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your comments remind me of the time I asked a young man who was complaining about the church he was attending at the time. I asked him to name some who were living for Jesus Christ because of his life. He had lived in the same area his entire life and was complaining about his church but could not name one person who was living for Christ because of his life.

From the book Growing True Disciples by George Barna , pages 128-132

Let's Be Real

Truthfully, while disciple-making must be a priority for you, by whatever means you select, you must enter the process with your eyes open. What happens when you make true disciples - not just students or group members, but real zealots for Christ?

Peoples lives change
    The collection of disciples - the true Church - gains favor with the world.
    Society is changed by the disciples.
    Society experiences turmoil as a result of the Church being true to God's truths and commands.
    Disciples are persecuted.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Would you mind if we took a look at the impact you are having where you live and work. That impacts the church too. Jesus said, "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? "Or how can you say to your brother, `Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye? "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

20. Alive in Christ

Matt...

What??? :eek:

I sure hope this is a case of you not articulating yourself well or something.

If not, what do you recommend? We walk around with "God Hates Fags" signs like those folks out in Kansas or wherever they are from?

Or that we shout "Unclean! Unclean!" or "Sinner!" when we see one?

I work with some homosexuals and I am just as friendly with them as I am with anyone else. Why shouldnt I be? By doing so, when God opens a door for me to witness they seem to be willing to listen. I dont think many homosexuals have stopped to chat with the "God hates fags" bunch, do you?

Last time I checked Jesus Christ had some prostitute friends that he was very kind to, and as a result they warmed to his message in due time. And plenty of other good old "wicked" people that came to love Him and embrace Him after His kindness to them.

Please tell me you didnt communicate your view accurately or something up there.