1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Warren & PDC In The News

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Don, Sep 6, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and you are reading your ideas into the text that God did not create us to love us.
    You just fail to see the connection. Maybe that is you problem in understanding the five purposes.
    I could tell you...but I asked you. No answer?
    And yet you continue to type on... :rolleyes:
    ...like this response?
    I think my statement was very easy to understand if you are a parent. You must not be.
    I can't tell if you are asking questions or erecting strawmen. Probably that latter, though. Either way, I can't follow your logic or points. Please refrain in the future to referring to me as childish. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You say you want ot look at his statement in context...and then to continue ripping points you would like to make out of context. Classic example...
    If you would remove the "Bash RW" glasses for a moment, you will see his point...in context of his statement.
    Is the Bible for doctrine? Yes. Doctrine only? No.
    Is the Bible for reproof? Yes. Reproof only? No.
    Is the Bible for correction? Yes. Correction only? No.
    Is the Bible for instruction? Yes. Instruction only? No.

Do you quit reading that verse there? Obviously, or you wouldn't ask "If the Bible is not for these things then pray tell what is the Bible for?"
    "That the man of God may be thoroughly furnished unto every good work."

3. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Rick Warren

Rick Warren is quoted as saying that the enemies of the 21st century is fundamentalism regardless of whether it is Muslim based or Christian based and he calls the five fundamentals of the faith "narrow" and "legalistic". Warren also promotes New Age repetitive breath prayers which matches up with his promotion of the New Age Message and there are not too many degrees of separation between Warren and Lucis Trust.

I'm not really looking for a fight here but it is a bit surprising to find folks supporting Mr. Warren in a "Fundamental Baptist Forum". As someone rightly stated in this thread...Warren is a wolf.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Bible does not say that people sweat either.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Really? You think the Gospel message is "new age"? Wow.
    From all of the bashing I see, I'm beginning to think the wolves are those who are trying to put a stop to the Gospel due size of church one pastors.

6. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

That is not even remotely close to what I said. You even quoted what I said and somehow extrapoloated that I thought the gospel message is new age? I will repeat that Rick Warren's promotion of meditative breath prayers is a New Age doctrine, and add that it is anti-Bible and is therefore anti-Christ.

"But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking." - Matthew 6:7

It is not about size it is about doctrine and what is being preached. Why are you so anxious to support someone who is so anti-fundamentalism in Rick Warren. Are you a fundamentalist or do you disdain them as well?

"Warren predicts that fundamentalism, of all varieties, will be "one of the big enemies of the 21st century."

"Muslim fundamentalism, Christian fundamentalism, Jewish fundamentalism, secular fundamentalism - they're all motivated by fear. Fear of each other." - Rick Warren
    (Source: http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/living/religion/13573441.htm)

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's exactly what you said. You said he preaches a new age Gospel. Rick Warren preaches the Gospel. If you think it's new age, it's between you and the Lord. Me thinks the "1611" in your name has something to do with it...
    A "breath prayer" is vain repetition? I do not see where RW states to say the same prayer over and over again. Source? Do you even know what "vain" repetition means?

Are you so eager to hate RW that you don't even read his comments in context? Find out who RW is referring to when he states "fundamentalist" and then we'll talk...
    Anyone can rip quotes from context.

8. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

"Use 'breath prayers' throughout the day, as many Christians have done for centuries. You choose a brief sentence or a simple phrase that can be repeated to Jesus in one breath."
    —Rick Warren, Purpose-Driven Life, p. 89. ​

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

And where is the repetition? Do you thank God for your food? How many different ways can you do this? You better quit...asking God's blessing on your food is vain repetition!

10. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

"Use 'breath prayers' throughout the day, as many Christians have done for centuries. You choose a brief sentence or a simple phrase that can be repeated to Jesus in one breath."
    —Rick Warren, Purpose-Driven Life, p. 89. ​

Rep`e*ti"tion (r?p`?-t?sh"?n), n. [L. repetitio: cf. F. répétition. See Repeat.]

1. The act of repeating; a doing or saying again; iteration.

(Source: Webster's 1913)​

11. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

No sweat?

:confused:

Genesis 3:19
    In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

Ezekiel 44:18
    They shall have linen bonnets upon their heads, and shall have linen breeches upon their loins; they shall not gird themselves with any thing that causeth sweat.

Luke 22:44
    And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you ask God's blessing on your food or not?

13. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Yes, I ask for the Lord's blessing on my families' food.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and how is that not "vain repetition"?

15. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I do not take a sentence or phrase and repeat it the way New Age Mediums, Buddhists and Rick Warren advocate.

16. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Give it up brother. Webdog doesn't appear to be interested in dialogue. He's just looking to stir up strife.

Pr 26:4
    ¶ Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.:BangHead:

17. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I accept your wise counsel.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

About 2/3 of Americans are fat. Most of them are in the south where there is the greatest concentration of Baptists. Is that a blessing or a curse?

19. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Most people like peanut butter accept for grandma...she drives a Buick.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You do not know my intentions...so do not call me a fool.

Rick Warren doesn't advocate vain repetition of a single word or phrase over and over as he is wrongly accused. The key word is "vain". I thank God constantly for my wife and son...even the day in itself. Am I doing this "vainly"? He is advocating constant prayer throughout the day....keeping an open line of communication open. Only a "fool" would not be able to see this, or would deliberately lie about another brother in Christ.

#60 webdog, Oct 31, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2006