1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Charles Spurgeon a Pipe-smoker?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by procyon, Dec 5, 2005.

1. procyon

procyon New Member

I admire Charles Spurgeon. He stood for the truth. His messages are still powerful. But I was disturbed to read that he smoked.

Can someone please clarify?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

He smoked cigars.

3. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Don't be 'disturbed' Spurgeon's 'Smoke free Zone' was in the church sanctuary.

Many Christians have a 'besetting sin' [Hebrews 12:1] and if we ask our wives they can tell us what it is.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He smoked cigars, that is correct.
    It is said that one day, a few years before his decease, he arrived at a town where he was supposed to preach and happened to look up just as he got off the coach.
    There on the billboard was his face with a big cigar hanging out from this mouth, and the words,'smoke.....the brand that Spurgeon smokes'.
    He quit smoking from then on.
    I don't know how true that story is, but if it were true, I don't think he quit because he was convinced smoking was a sin.
    I think he quit because he saw how an object he used was being glorified, instead of the Savior he loved and preached about.

5. mioque

mioque New Member

Since when is smoking a sin instead of merely a bad habit?

6. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

I think a person can smoke and yet be a Christian, but since the body is the 'temple of the Holy Spirit' smoking defiles the compromises human health and is therefore a sin [I Corinthians 6:19-20].

I am not a legalist on this subject but I think the Holy Spirit will convict those who compromise their human health. The Spirit of God is a much better Teacher than another Christian telling a smoker to quit. No one should be told to stop smoking because of a spiritual approach. The Lord knows how to speak to His people.

7. fatbacker

fatbacker New Member

You mean Spurgeon isn't perfect (GASSSSSSSSSSSPPPPPPPPPP)!!!!!!!!!!

I thought he could cast a few stones. Hey pro I guess you can throw a few stones too. Just don't hit me with one ;) [​IMG]

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

And drank ale.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

SWBTS has a picture of its first President with the cigar painted over.

10. procyon

procyon New Member

For those who are indwelt by the Holy Spirit, and realise that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, smoking is a SIN. I hope Spurgeon stopped when he realised this!

I'm sure he must have stopped because it was SIN, it is SIN and will always be SIN.

11. izzaksdad

izzaksdad New Member

It is said that Moody once visited Spurgeon and as he walked in Spurgeon was smoking a cigar. Moody, taken aback, said "I can't believe a man of God such as you would smoke a cigar." Too which Spurgeon replied, "Nor can I believe a man of God such as you could be so fat!" :eek:

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am sure when Moody was living, fat was seen as good.

What may be seen as good and acceptable one place may not be in another. That of a good reason why we must many times keep out mouth shut and earn the right to be heard. Anyone who shares their faith hears about the arrogance of Falwell, Robertson and Hinn. Never once have I heard from non-Christians anything negative about Billy Graham.

13. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

I quit smoking cig's many years ago, but if I thought I could, I would take up a bowl full of pipe tobacco or a cigar most days for the shear pleasure and pleasant aroma. For anyone to say that is a sin for me, is wrong. I could say to you, don't drink coffee, or quit eating processed sugar, or quit HBO, and for goodness sake don't you dare dance or play cards.

14. billwald

billwald New Member

God authorised even demanded that incense be burned in his temple.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Eccl. 3:1-9, "There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven-- A time to give birth and a time to die; A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted. A time to kill and a time to heal; A time to tear down and a time to build up. A time to weep and a time to laugh; A time to mourn and a time to dance. A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones; A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing. A time to search and a time to give up as lost; A time to keep and a time to throw away. A time to tear apart and a time to sew together; A time to be silent and a time to speak. A time to love and a time to hate;
    A time for war and a time for peace. What profit is there to the worker from that in which he toils?

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

There is no prohibition regarding smoking in the Scritptures. True that the body as a temple of the HS is a compelling argument, but I fear to often that it is flung out in blatent hypocrisy.

There are plenty of other things that can "harm" our bodies that Christians unkowingly at times engage in, and some of these Christian's would be quick to condem a brother or sister who smokes.

Remember in Spurgeon's day, the full dangers of smoking where not realized yet. It was simply seen as a somthing that was a "dirty" habit because of the odor and stains it could leave.

Give me a passionate worshiper of Christ who smokes over a hypocritical critic of the breathren anyday. God will eventually lead the smoker to make the right decisions. But often the hypocrite is so stuborne and set on his self-righteous ways to even consider the error he is in.

17. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

pinoybaptist said:

There on the billboard was his face with a big cigar hanging out from this mouth, and the words,'smoke.....the brand that Spurgeon smokes'.
    He quit smoking from then on.
    I don't know how true that story is, but if it were true, I don't think he quit because he was convinced smoking was a sin.

It isn't true, so the point is academic. Spurgeon quit smoking his cigars because his final illness made it impossible for him, not because of his conscience.

Incidentally, the Players company used Spurgeon's name and image as a posthumous endorsement of their product. See Spurgeon's Love of Fine Cigars.

18. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Does it matter?

"Am I bovvered? Do I look bovvered?" (With apologies to Catherine Tate.)

19. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

Amen to that brother.

20. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I am not sure why anyone in ministry today would smoke a cigar,pipe, etc...there are enough problems in ministry as it is without adding more to the mix.