1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Christ Ignorant of OSAS?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, May 16, 2010.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

At this point the young man asks Jesus which commandments should I keep?

Matthew 19:18-19 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

The young man says oh I've kept all those, but what do I LACK?

If keeping the commandments would give the young man eternal life, why then does he ask what he "lacks"?

Matthew 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Here we see what the young man lacked. His heart was not right in that he was not willing to give up his money to help the poor, proving that he had not kept the commandment to love thy neighbor or the commandment to have no other gods before God. His money was his god. He needed the grace of God.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

To add to what Amy said:

Matthew 19:17-19 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    Matthew 19:20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

In verse twenty the young man lies. He had not kept the Ten Commandments from his youth up. Right now he was bearing false witness. By the end Jesus would demonstrate to him that he would covet his riches more than Christ. He could not keep the Ten Commandments. He was a liar.

Yet in his grace and mercy, as the same event is related in Mark, here is what is recorded:

Mark 10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

Jesus beheld him and loved him.

He gave him a chance to repent, a chance to leave his riches, a chance to follow Christ.

But:
    Mark 10:22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.
    --Covetousness is a big sin.
    Thou shalt not covet.
    It is a command without a stated penalty; but in this case it is a big enough sin to keep this person out of heaven.

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's the rhetorical equivilent of putting your hands over your ears and going "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA".

4. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I never have a benevolent attitude toward heresy.

5. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I'm not being judged by the law; I'm being judged by my deeds any yes, some days I might be a little short. That's why I keep 1 John 1:9 in mind and ask for forgivenes a lot.

6. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, even if the Biblical doctrine of eternal security is wrong, it still doesn't rise to the level of heresy. At best, it would be what Paul refers to as a "disputable doctrine".

Second, if you truly do believe that it's heresy, then you do have an obligation to try to correct us Biblically (that includes showing Biblical evidence and presenting it humbly and respectfully). It would be only after you did so and we refused to repent that you can take such a hard line.

For all you know, we may simply be in error and need your superior understanding of the word of God to correct us.

7. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Would you like God to judge your eternal destiny by your deeds on any given day?

8. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    lol.......

9. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

One of the reasons I joined this board about 3 years ago was to find out what what Baptists really believe. I think I understand what most members of my church believe but their theology is about 2 inches deep. So I found this board and I've learned a lot, but nothing I have read has convinced me that OSAS is anything but false doctrine and a dangerous false doctrine at that. So yes, I'm still listening but somehow you're not getting through.

By the way, JDF, I'm pretty busy tonight but when I get a chance I will throw together 50 scripture passages that prove you can lose your salvation.

10. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Like I said, I will denounce heresy wherever I see it and ernestly contend for the faith.

11. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

All right, I can accept that but it is dangerous because it gives a person a license to sin. You say, no such thing, and point to something like Romans 6:1-2, but the unlearned Christian doesn't understand this. Come to think of though, it doesn't really matter if OSAS is really true.

12. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

No, but it's a reality I (and you) must live with.

13. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Wow!

You are declaring that you do not know if you will be found worthy of God's eternal life.

I do not have to live with it because it is not a reality at all.

This is the reality of not understanding faith alone and eternal security in Christ. You are a perfect example, having uncertainty of your future destiny, heaven or hell. Rather than a focus on others time is wasted on focussing on self and whether or not one has enough good deeds to be chosen for eternal life.

Rather than good deeds being done out of love, they are done out of fear about self. Not understanding faith alone and eternal security in Christ causes one to misplace their heart and their efforts of love become self serving rather than God serving.

#33 steaver, May 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
  14. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, actually, it doesn't. Just the opposite, in fact. It teaches that if we continue to live in sin that we were not saved in the first place.

First of all, you're engaging in poisoning the well again. I really don't think you realize how childish this makes you look, particularly when so many people in this thread are trying to be respectful and patient with you, in spite of your constant personal attacks.

Second, yes, I would cite all of Romans 6.

Third, that you say that unlearned Christians don't understand this doesn't make it any less true.

Third, it does matter if eternal security is true for the reasons I've already explained to you, which you have, so far, neglected to address.

15. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet, rather than asking us what we believe, you seem to be intent upon telling us what we believe.

And yet, nothing you've shown here negates any of the verses I've shown you.

Honestly? Unless you address the verses I've shown you first, I'm not interested.

16. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You attitude doesn't square with scripture. I have known others that believe you can fall away,but are gentle and humble and kind.

#36 Jedi Knight, May 16, 2010
  17. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

First of all, even if the Biblical doctrine of eternal security is wrong, it still doesn't rise to the level of heresy. At best, it would be what Paul refers to as a "disputable doctrine".

Second, if you truly do believe that it's heresy, then you do have an obligation to try to correct us Biblically (that includes showing Biblical evidence and presenting it humbly and respectfully). It would be only after you did so and we refused to repent that you can take such a hard line.

But you're not contending for the faith. You're just ignoring everything we say and then giving answers that don't address what we say and making personal attacks.

I gave you a very long list of verses and passages that show that eternal security is Biblical and you've completely ignored them. That isn't the mark of someone who is contending for the faith.

18. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Even if our believe in the Biblical doctrine of eternal security is wrong, even if it does rise to the level of heresy, and even if this guy is perfectly correct and makes a brilliant case for having to earn our salvation, he is still in error because of his attitude.

19. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is a double mind saying "So yes, I'm still listening but somehow you're not getting through."...
    .....but call it Heresy? You have proven you don't have a teachable spirit.

#39 Jedi Knight, May 16, 2010
  20. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Don't assume all those who don't believe in the doctrine of eternal security, do not know for sure that they are saved, based on this one example. Most Christians who don't believe in the doctrine of eternal security, are just as sure of their salvation as you are. Their assurance of salvation is based on the continued belief in Christ just as for those who believe in eternal security.

I know of some people who take a few examples like this, and broadbrush it to assume that all who don't believe in the doctrine of eternal security, are not sure their salvation in secure.