1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Christ Ignorant of OSAS?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, May 16, 2010.

1. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They may know they're saved, but they cannot say with any certainty that they will be saved tomorrow.

No, their assurance of salvation is based on their ability to keep their salvation.

2. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How do they have assurance? Salvation is not temporary....so no they cannot be sure of crossing the finish line.

#42 Jedi Knight, May 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
  3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I won't. I would assume no such thing. I have many friends who do not agree with OSAS but do not add works or deeds to salvation. They are probably like you in that they only believe that one could decide not to believe any more at some point.

I say to them, if you understand that it is by faith alone that you are saved and this not of yourselves then how or why would you decide not to believe anymore?

As my signature asks, how can one stop believing in that which they have personal absolute knowledge of is a truth?

ANother question would be why would you want to or need to stop believing?

4. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Jesus said "Anyone who eats the bread from heaven, however, will never die."

#44 Jedi Knight, May 16, 2010
  5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He also said that we would have eternal life which, of course, is not really eternal if we can lose it.

6. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Excellent point.:thumbs: I would go so far as to say if in fact anyone claims they are eternally secure yet their works are not lining up with their faith, are deceived as to their final standing before God.

7. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Thats right, the bread was his body that was sacrificed on the cross. Jesus obeyed perfectly to be a perfect substitute. We are sealed untill the day of redemption......not untill the day of evaluation.

8. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: You bet your eternal soul it indeed can be a dangerous doctrine. I believe it will lay at the core of deceit that those standing before God in the last day will find themselves victims of, trying to convince God of their standing with him, yet only to find themselves short of inheriting the promised possession, i.e., eternal life.

9. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Thats because you don't understand Jesus gives eternal life here and now.

10. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Like it or not, everyone, that includes you and I, will stand and give an account for every deed done in the flesh and every idle word spoken. That will certainly be an evaluation.

Re 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

11. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

You left something out....whoevers name was not found written.....

12. Heavenly Pilgrim

Tit 1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;
    Tit 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
    1Pe 1:13 ¶ Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

13. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

John 5:24 I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me HAS eternal life and will NOT be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.

14. Heavenly Pilgrim

John 5:24 I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me HAS eternal life and will NOT be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.

HP: Many in the last day will find themselves deceived as to what they thought or believed their standing with God was. Make your calling and election certain. I personally will do that by examining my life and actions in light of the Word of God and the Spirit He has given.

15. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Certainly sounds like some careful examination and sifting going on, some to eternal life in consideration of their works, and some to eternal damnation as a direct result of their works.

I by no means believe anyone will be saved 'by' their works, but none will be saved 'apart from' their works. None of our works merit salvation, but if our works are not consistent with our faith I believe one will find themselves deceived in the end.

Unlike JK, some of have not yet seen our names in the Book of Life yet.

16. Heavenly Pilgrim

It has been some time since I read the quote, but I believe I can say it was by Calvin. It went something like this. God has not so designed the assurance of salvation in such a way that when a person is in a “low state of grace” such a one can accurately discern their final standing before God.

#56 Heavenly Pilgrim, May 16, 2010
  17. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Nice try HP! Did Jesus say rejoice because you SEE your names written? No but He did say rejoice because your names are recorded in Heaven. We walk by faith,not by sight.

18. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Yes, but that is not what many of your comments reflect. Absolute knowledge and faith are at antipodes. If we walk by faith, the possibility has to exist we 'could be' deceived. There is no reason we have to be deceived, if we are careful and examine ourselves and continue to walk in obedience to the light we have been given.
    1Jo 1:7 But IF we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Col 1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

19. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

We walk by faith in what God has said. I give them eternal life and they shall never perish. True believers are sealed,Justified,seated in Heaven already. Who shall brig a charge against God's elect? Is it Christ?

#59 Jedi Knight, May 16, 2010
  20. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: It still begs the question as to is and who is not a true believer. Scripture tells us who the real believers are and those that will find out in the end that they were deceived as to their final standing.

Jas 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

Mt 7:21 ¶ Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.