1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Esau "normal"?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jun 6, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Gen 25:25 And the first came out red, all over like an hairy garment; and they called his name Esau.

How usual is it for a baby to be like a hairy garment? I have never seen a hairy baby.
    I mean some babies already have hair on their head but not on their body. :eek:
    Esau also seemed to have a special personality. Do you think God made Esau this way or was it simply genetical that he was a hunter and much rougher than Jacob.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I must have been "reverse evolution".:smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin:

3. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

There was a black Muslim sect that actually taught such a thing! That the so-called "ape-man" claimed to be our ancestors were actually descendants of Esau, who then evolved into a certain race whom they love to hate today, after mixing with the Canaanites.:rolleyes:

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Lanugo hair is common in premature babies. Twins are commonly born premature.

5. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

@ dragon

But is this really what Esau had? This Lanugo stuff sounds like fine hair but Esau had think hair.

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The word used to describe Esau as "hairy" is from the Hebrew word “sa’ir”, which is translated in some places as hairy and some places “kid”, as in goat. The goats in Israel have soft, supple fur that is often used for wigs. So, Esau was a healthy, robust, Israeli goat.

This is interesting in light of sheep and goats, Jacob and Esau, and some other things that are going on in other discussions.

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

But we really don't know. Everything we say is speculation -- interesting -- but still speculation.

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Esau was goat . . . Bless his heart. I've always liked the Esau of later years. He welcomed Jacob back, and was tricked once again for his efforts. And yet, Esau was a goat and Jacob was chosen.

I haven't read the sheep and goat thread. I need to go do that.

9. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Maybe this is what Esau had. I'm just trying to answer your thread title question. Yes it is normal for twins who are commonly premature to have hair on their body and not just their head.

10. genesis12

genesis12 Member

I accept what the Bible has to say about it without wondering how or why Esau was hairy. Sometimes we chase rabbits in our study of scripture. We'd be better served to thank God for Who He is, and go on about our study.