1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Faith a Gift?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by preacher4truth, Jan 14, 2011.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If I were your rich uncle (The Father) and gave you a Cadillac (Christ) by parking it in front of your house (His death for mankind, the atonement) and left the keys in it for you to use and enjoy (believe and be saved, believe not and perish), that's it as far as I'm concerned (God absolved of man's responsibility in rejecting it). If you never get in the Caddy and derive the benefits from it (reject His gift), it's your loss. (Hell)

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I strongly disagree that we have nothing to do with salvation. We have to repent and come to faith according to scripture.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I always find it interesting that people are so afraid of works salvation that they tend to make them outlawed in the believer. First we are saved unto good works. Second while we are saved by grace through faith we will be judged by our works. Third while works do not save they are required in the process for salvation if one counts exercising faith and repentance as works. We do not get saved by doing nothing.

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Yep. Thanks for those verses of Scripture. The thing some will never get, is they had no choice to make, they had no faith within themselves, He gave us our faith as a gift. To go on with choice and free will is to make pretense that you inside yourself already had the ability to believe, when in fact God had the gift to give you so you could believe. Why? Because we were dead. God's Word and Voice and gift is what made us alive and enabled us. There was no faith in any of us (ability to make a choice). He placed faith within us, or, granted to us the ability to believe, actually giving us the faith, so then because of this giving to us, we were able to believe, or perhaps recognize that we are His sheep, and needed saved.

John 11:52 comes to mind here.

We were lost. Lost implies belonging to Someone does it not? We did not become His sheep, we already were His sheep scattered abroad, and He and He alone reached out and saved us, it was not us reaching out to Him. He did it all. All of it.

5. preacher4truth

Saying we have to repent places the responsibility on man to do something so that God will accept and save him. This is not so. Romans 2:4 clearly shows us He and He alone leads us to this place. The fact we have faith is only due to the fact He gave us this gift to believe. Some act as if they did this repenting and faith thing and then God said "OK." That is not how it happened.

#25 preacher4truth, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2011
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your "third" is off as Scripture states faith is never a work regardless of it's origin and how it is defined.

I do agree there is no "doing anything" as even if there is this nebulous gift of saving faith given, WE are still the ones who need to apply it. The debate boils down to the origin, not whether we are the ones exercising it...as we are.

"Grace is not opposed to effort, grace is opposed to earning"

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

if you mean by everyone having the same chance to believe everyone can experience the base evidence of a Creator by the creation then i agree. If by everyone having the same chance you mean everyone has the same amount of revelation above being able to see the creation then the statement is false. Not everyone gets the same amount of evidence and revelation. Some like us here in this country have churches just about on every corner. There is TV, street preachers, and individual witnessing, but there are those who have never heard the gospel or had any revelation of God other then what is seen in the creation. In fact the bible even expalins that not all have heard or will hear.

8. preacher4truth

Works prove salvation, they don't afford salvation to us.

I suppose you are attempting to say here I am afraid of works. Not at all. But if you must insist to say it when I have clearly rejected it, that's up to you. To argue that I make them (works) outlawed to the believer is unfortunate. I believe works help to prove one as saved, not that they assist. We never assisted God in even saving us. This is the great mystery of His saving. He rescued us. He did it all, and enabled us to believe, giving to us that as a gift, (faith) and also bringing us to a place of repentance where all we could do is admit He took, lead, brought, goaded us there and we consequently realize He changed our minds about sin, not us.

It is not God saying "OK, you repent, and I will save you." And then Him waiting for us. No. He is active in leading us to this place by His grace and repentance is also a gift of His goodness. His grace leads us here. Then we realize it was all of Him.

9. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hah! I knew there was more than doctrine we had in common! :)

Check the itty bitty thumbnail pic on my profile, my wife and I are holding some nice flatheads we caught on trot/limbline a couple years ago (I turned the big one loose, it was full of eggs).

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I couldn't get the picture to expand but I could see that one of them was as big as your leg.

The biggest I have caught is not that big. But I have friends who go a lot more regular than me who have caught 60 pounders.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

[SIZE=+0]It happened because we are sentience beings, but not because we start the process. It is true while all men are dead in their sins and trespasses and cannot rise from the dead on their own, God in His mercy begins the process at His calling to each individual as He sovereignly chooses where we can rise enough to accept or deny His offer. We are the ones who takes what He gives and in repentance and faith He in return completes the work unto salvation.[/SIZE]

12. preacher4truth

You're getting closer. He is the author and finisher of our faith. The same faith He gave to us as a gift. :thumbsup:

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Your rebutal is to a post I did not write. You need to re-read my post.

14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

[SIZE=+0]No I think that I have it correct, not closer. You are correct that God is the author and finisher, but not the the enforcer. We decide if we want to come or not. Once enlightened we are left with the choice. Read Hebrews 6 and see that once enlightened if we fall away it is then impossible to be renewed again unto salvation.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]He enlightens and we choose. If we fall away after being enlightened we cannot return because it would crucify the Lord anew.[/SIZE]

#35 freeatlast, Jan 14, 2011
  16. preacher4truth

Not so. This went clear back to your post at #23, then in #25 I repled to your #23, then this to you saying I replied to a post you didn't post. and am making a rebuttal to the wrong one.

Nope, this is the correct one.

Go take a look, this is in direct response to you.

17. preacher4truth

Why did those in Hebrews 6 not believe? Because of choice not to, or because they were not His?

They could not have been His.

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That is certainly the position one has to take if they hold to hyper Calvinism, but that is not what scripture teaches. He does not enlighten those who cannot accept and the warning to those in Hebrews to come all the way would be wasted unless they could.

19. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

here is what i wrote;

I always find it interesting that people are so afraid of works salvation that they tend to make them outlawed in the believer. First we are saved unto good works. Second while we are saved by grace through faith we will be judged by our works. Third while works do not save they are required in the process for salvation if one counts exercising faith and repentance as works. We do not get saved by doing nothing.

I did not say that works save. I said that ifyou say faith and repentance are works then works are required in the salvation process yet they are not what saves.We are saved through them, not by them.

#40 freeatlast, Jan 14, 2011