1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Jesus A Man Before the Incarnation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Marcia, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I said: Angels are a separate category of beings; angels are called spirits in the OT and in the NT (book of Hebrews).

Angels are spirit beings; man is not a spirit being. These are two separate categories of creation. Man having a spirit does not make him a spirit being.

I said:
    I believe that his appearances in the OT were done as the angels' appearances were - temporary human appearance and body. That is not an incarnation.

You've got to be kidding. I"m like the opposite of that! I never said what you are implying. Of course Jesus had a permanent human body after the incarnation and resurrection. In fact, I've debated very vocally on the BB about Jesus being bodily raised from the same body he lived in on earth! On the other thread, I stated over and over that being incarnated means Jesus had a human body. I believe that he had Mary's genes. I've also argued that on the BB against the more gnostic beliefs that Jesus just entered Mary's womb without any connection to her. I've argued that Jesus had to become man and had to be the seed of David physically speaking in the incarnation. Jesus was fully man and fully God.

This does not mean he had a body before the incarnation!

Bottom line: Did Jesus have a human body before the incarnation? Yes or no?

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

So you are saying Jesus was human before the incarnation? Yes or no?

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

According to who?
    We see PROOF that He did! Remember Shadrack, Meeshak and Abednego? Who was standing in the fire with them? Who visited Abram? Who wrestled with Jacob?

#23 webdog, Sep 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2006
  4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No I'm not.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Marcia: Angels are spirit beings

According to God's word.

If it was Jesus, it does not mean he had a human body! Are you saying he did? Please clarify. A human body is physical and has weaknesses. Jesus did not take this on before the incarnation.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

webdog, here is why I am confused about what you say. You answered that Jesus was not human before the incarnation. But shortly before that, you said this:

This sounds like you are saying Jesus was God and man before the incarnation. Is that what you are saying here? Please clarify.

7. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I may be wrong but I believe DeeJay was saying that both Mormons and yourself are orthodox when it comes to Christological incarnation.

I believe DeeJay was saying that Mormons, but not youself, are unorthodox when it comes to human incarnation.

8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

This is a wrong view. I understand why you may say this, but it is my feeling this is wrong. Jesus had only one earthy body and was born to Mary in Bethlehem.

john 1
    14And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth

gal 4
    4There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

heb 10
    5Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me

john 6
    38For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me

The Son God has indeed been eternal preexistence.

john 1
    30This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.

micah 5
    2But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting

kinda implied here....isaiah 9
    6For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Now one passage pulls it all together for us...

col 1

15Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

16For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

17And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

Colossians 1:15-17 is said to be a hymn.

In vs. 15 the pre-existent Christ is "eikon tou theou tou aoratou" - the express image of the invisible God. In Christ the invisible God became visible to man. Notice this, Paul describes Christ as the prototokos - the firstborn. in verse 16 the pre-eminence of Christ is the point of prototokos.

J. B. Lightfoot(17) well comments:
    After reading Lightfoot...read Hebs 1.

The Incarnation is necessary to see in the right light because of the virgin birth. The body of Jesus did not come from any other then a virgin. (seed of man) To go beyond this would remove our Lords right to rule some day on the throne of David. Also, with no virgin birth, this would remove His saving power on the cross. I do not mean to make this a C/A debate, so no more needs to be said on this.

This leaves you with 2 choices.

1) Mary was yet not born, making the virgin birth not able
    2) Mary is also eternal preexistence

Mormon doctrine has been mis-stated too. Better...it has been understated. Mormon teaching is .... "This doctrine that there is a Mother in Heaven was affirmed in plainness by the First Presidency of the Church (Joseph F. Smith, John R. Winder, and Anthon H. Lund ... they said that "man, as a spirit, was begotten and born of heavenly parents ..." (Mormon Doctrine, 1966, p.516).

This Mormon doctrine is said of all men, not just Jesus. This is pegan new age.

Back to Mary. Christ came though the seed of Man. That was Jesus. Mary was the choosen mother to carry his birth. Jesus body was made in the very womb of Mary. Where you take it from here depends on how you view Mary.

In Christ...James

#28 Jarthur001, Sep 2, 2006
  9. NateT

NateT Member

Thanks for the post. Dr. Nettles would be ashamed to say I was in his history class :)

I guess I was tracing out the implications of the Nicean creed. I see now that it was over His divinity. But as I look at the debate over His divinity, an implication of that, as far as I understand it, would be that he wasn't human before the incarnation. Right? (I guess in this context it doesn't matter as much since the OP might have been misunderstood)

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

spirit beings is a Mormon doctrine . . .

I just gotta ask: Are ya'll discussing mormon or Christian doctrine?

I the Bible the being that I see described as a spirit is God or the Holy Spirit.

Angels are created and so is man.

11. Allan

Allan Active Member

Jarth, Am I reading you right in assuming Mary as a woman of child bearing age WAS NOT truly a virgin at conception? It is the only obvious answer as Mary is NOT God and therefore in pre-existence with God.

Please clarify, for if you are saying that - I will stand in that debate!

12. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Marcia

I apologise. I did not mean it that way. I was not trying to say you had mormon beliefs. I was trying to say that, In this case, Mormons agreed with you. It was not an insult to your or saying that you are wrong just that bill had it wrong on what mormons believe.

Mormons agree with several Christian beliefs. Especaly on moral issues. I did not mean it to be offencive, and I should have worded it differently.

I also did point out that they take it to far and I assumed that you would not agree with them on that.

Sorry.

13. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Exactly, thank you

14. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Marcia, Webdog

I think you both are useing different definitions and probably could agree if you clearly defined the words you are useing. I wish you would because you both are confusing me to no end. :eek:

Web I think you are saying that Jesus took a form that looked human before the incarnation but only became human after he was born from Mary? That form he took was like the perfict body He has after the reserection that He assended with?

Marcia do you agree that Jesus had any form before the incarnation or was he invisable Spirit like the Father?

15. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

The point being............

Jesus was born of the seed of a woman.
    Mary was His VIRGIN mother.
    The Son of God is eternal preexistence
    Mary is finite.
    Mary was not around "in the beginning" for the Body of Christ to be born.

You can draw your own conclusions as to what this means.

In Christ...James

16. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I apologize for this getting twisted out of shape.My comment was not directed at Marcias beliefs but toward the poster on the other thread she was referring to.Which is why I asked marcia to ask her friend(on the other thread)who he/she thought Jesus really is.

17. Allan

Allan Active Member

Jarth, So you hold that Jesus mother at His BIRTH was a virgin. Correct or not?

That was all I wanted to clarify. :wavey:

I hold He was BORN of a VIRGIN.

As to His celestial body, constant or temporal (as in only when needed) >>>EDIT<<< is silly to condend with as long as someone is not saying Jesus is a created being in any sense of meaning.

#37 Allan, Sep 2, 2006
  18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

No, it's not about Mormon doctrine! The original is issue is whether Jesus was a man before the incarnation and/or had a physical body before the incarnation.

Please read the thread and you will see the issues - this thread is not that long so it shouldn't take too much time.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

He was conceived was he not? Even if it were immaculate it was still conception.

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree, but I am waiting for Webdog to clarify some statements he made. For example, I would like this clarified:
    Webdog might be away for the holiday weekend, so we may not get a response for a few days.

Well, what does the Bible say? It does not say Jesus had a form before the incarnation. There are statements that we think refer to appearances of Jesus in the OT, which, if they were Jesus, were Jesus appearing in a human-like form, but that does not mean he was a man then, as he was in the incarnation.

I do not think, in whatever form Jesus may have appeared in in the OT, that Jesus had a human nature then or was a man at that time. There is no indication Jesus had a human nature before the incarnation, and that is really what is at issue here.