1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Jesus A Man Before the Incarnation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Marcia, Sep 1, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

See...I knew you never read my posts before you reply :D

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

He certainly didn't have the carnal body when He left here going back to Heaven and He also will forever exist as Jesus Christ, God and Holy Spirit.

I think we got into this discussion once before about Jesus and can't remember exactly what the argument was about.

#102 Brother Bob, Sep 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2006
  3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I think what I was trying to say, when Lasarus was dying they had to send for Jesus. He stayed two days where he was then went to bring Lazarus from the dead. He was not everywhere at the sametime.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yea, but the LORD was.

He had to call upon God to Glorify Him again as He was before to raise Lazarus.

#104 Brother Bob, Sep 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2006
  5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe He could have displayed any of His "omni's" whenever He wanted to. On this occasion He was certainly omniscient. I also recall the times He "hid Himself" from the crowds that were trying to kill Him. Have you ever thought about what that means?

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

God does not have a body! This is what Mormonism teaches - that God the Father has a body.

The Son of God before he incarnated did not have a material body, either. That is what incarnate means. If he had had a material body before then, then that means he was a created being because material bodies have a beginning. They are created.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your argument is against the Word of God...not me. Maybe the mormons have one thing right, after all, even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time. Please tell me what formless spirit has a face, feet, back and hands. Did God not walk with Adam in the Garden? The Bible doesn't tell us He floated with Adam. How can we be made in the "image" of God...without an image to follow off of? Please don't use the excuse that "image" pertains to everything not physical, either, as the burden of proof would be on you to prove such, which cannot be done.

#107 webdog, Sep 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2006
  8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It has not yet appeared what we shall be like but we know we shall be like Him. We try to explain some things that haven't been given to us sometime don't you think. :)

"14": His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;

"15": And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

Depends what a body includes. He don't have a body like our natural body that is for sure but seems as if He does have "hinder quarters", head, hair, feet, able to walk so must have legs, eyes, mouth and a voice. His arms are outstretched "saying come unto me". Again, we are trying to tell something we don't know but then we shall see Him face to face.

Saying it was Christ in the garden don't change anything for He said if you have seen me you have seen the Father.

There is a Celestrial body and we haven't seen one of them yet. :)

#108 Brother Bob, Sep 5, 2006
  9. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I think it is possable that it was Christ that was walking in the garden. I also think the Bible uses alot of symbolisem to speak of the Father who can not be described in words. Face, Hand. I dont think the Father has a body or a form He is Spirit.

The Mormons believe that the Father has a body "Just like ours" made of flesh and blood. Remember they think that God is a title and not a personage. They think he is one of us was a human who is further advanced and we can advance to be like him. They look at the word god like a job title. Dr., Officer, Sgt. they see god as a job that is given and several people can acheave.

I dont think any of us want to agree with that.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I'm sorry, Webdog, but your belief that God has a body is against the word of God. Jesus says in John 4 that "God is spirit." God does not have body!

Well, I've seen a lot of surprising beliefs among Baptist on the BB but I think this one beats them all.

See DeeJay's post on the Mormon view of God having a body. They believe that God was once a man who became God, that is why he has a body.

If being made in God's image meant God has a body like ours, then Jesus would be wrong to say God is spirit.

I already answered you on the question about statements about God's back, hands, etc. There is also a passage referring to God's wings. So do you think he has wings?

How God walked in the Garden with Adam I can't explain but I think He was able to do this without a body, just as he led Moses out of Egypt with the pillar of fire and the cloud. He was able to manifest his presence is some way, but that does not mean he has a body.

Besides the Mormons, the heretical Word Faith people also teach that God has a body. The view that God has a body is against the Bible.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe the Bible gives us plenty of clues that Christ had a body prior to being incarnated as a human being. We know that after He rose from the dead He ate, walked, talked, and was touched by Thomas. Do we gather from any place in Scripture that Christ looked something other than how He looked while human? No. We will have bodies one day that are like Christ's. They will be very real bodies...not spirit bodies floating around on clouds. Heaven is a very real place...New Jerusalem is a very real city, and the New Earth will be a very real planet. We can't assume that heavenly bodies (that of angels and Christ) are not real bodies, as there is plenty within Scripture that states otherwise.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It has not yet appeared what we shall be like but we know we shall be like Him. We try to explain some things that haven't been given to us sometime don't you think. :)

"14": His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;

"15": And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

Depends what a body includes. He don't have a body like our natural body that is for sure but seems as if He does have "hinder quarters", head, hair, feet, able to walk so must have legs, eyes, mouth and a voice. His arms are outstretched "saying come unto me". Again, we are trying to tell something we don't know but then we shall see Him face to face.

Saying it was Christ in the garden don't change anything for He said if you have seen me you have seen the Father.

There is a Celestrial body and we haven't seen one of them yet. :)

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus has a body...Jesus is God.
    It's odd that you separate the Two. Let US make man in OUR image.
    "God does not have a body" is not an answer. Can you supply the passage that states God has wings?
    You can't be serious! You don't know how God walked? Answer: feet! I think it's easy to explain! He did manifest His presence in "some way"...a body!
    You worry me in that you separate Jesus from God. Jesus is God. Jesus has a body. God has a body. You cannot separate that fact.

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This is a total red herring. This was not the issue! Of course I believe Jesus had a real body when he incarnated and we will have glorifed physical bodies in heaven.

But he could not have had a physical body like ours before the incarnation because it would have been a created body and Jesus is not a creation. However he appeared, if he did so, it was not a physical material body like ours. When he incarnated he added human nature and a human body - he took on the weakness of the flesh. He did not incarnate before the incarnation.

You ignored my post about your post that God has a body. So I assume you still believe God has a body.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Prove it, please, that if Jesus has always had a body it means He was created. Is Jesus omnipresent?

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ummm...it is the issue. You claim Jesus could not have a body prior to being incarnated as a human being. What did the angels say when Jesus ascended into Heaven..."whoa! Nice new body, Jesus!"

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Man, I thought my answer was really good but must not of been. :laugh:

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't see the point here. Jesus had a physical body after the incarnation, so of course he had one when he ascended. I never denied that. But the fact he had a physical body after the incarnation does not mean he had one before it.

You said
    God the Father does not have a body. Why did Jesus say God is spirit? How do you reconcile that with your assertion that God the Father has a body, since that seems to be what you were saying?

Passages, not the passage! Here are some:
    So if you take God walking in the garden literally with feet, you should believe he has wings.

#118 Marcia, Sep 5, 2006
  19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I am not separating Jesus from God. Jesus and God are 2 Persons of the Trinity. The HS is the 3rd Person. There are 3 Persons in the Trinity. One Godhead but 3 distinct (not separate) co-eternal Persons. I am assuming you believe in the Trinity?

You don't believe that Jesus and God the Father are the same person, do you?

20. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Very true, Sister Marcia!! The false doctrine that teaches that Jesus was a man before His incarnation reaks of Mormanism!!!