1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Jesus a Sissy?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Aaron, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Odd thread!

Two days ago I was talking to my boys about being angry and sinning not. I reminded them of the account where Jesus overturned the money changers' tables. By the time I was done with the story, my boys said in unison "Woah! Jesus is really cool!"

Also, who decides what is manly? You? Me? The definitions will vary.

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I heard a theologian describe the "Money Changer" incident---he went on to say that although Jesus did fashion the whip of cords---that He never struck a blow to any of the "Changers"---that His(Jesus') very presense with a whip in His hand---well---you ever see these rodeo's where there is a bull loose on the arena floor?? He(the bull) is running loose---he never touches anyone on the floor---everyone on the floor KNOWS the bull is not bluffing!!!---but yet everyone on the floor is getting out of the way----thats how I picture Jesus--a "bull" of a man with a whip in His hand on the arena floor---able to clear the Temple without touching anyone with that whip!!

3. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was thinking more in terms of "silly" or maybe "stupid" or at least "ridiculous". :tonofbricks:

Tim Reynolds

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I think the very question is offensive and stupid.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ditto......................

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There have been many courageous and virtuous men who were non-Christians. All I'm asking is, what are the manly qualities brought into play in the kind of hunting Roosevelt did and what you do?

What is my assertion?

Irrelevant. How does hunting display your manly qualities?

Put away your thesaurus and read the O.P. One of your defenders suggested that those who buy their food are sissies, and you did not correct him. I'm forced to conclude that you may agree.

But now that your digs are out of the way, can you simply answer the question? What manly qualities are brought into play in hunting? Just list them please.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh what the heck. I'm tired of this dance. Let's just cut to the chase.

What Roosevelt thought was satisfying was seeing a beautiful trophy elk lying dead of the bullet that he put into it. Now in his day, hunting probably took a little more skill than it does today, but still, there is no courage in taking your prey—I mean game—from a distance that you can't make out without a telescope. Neither is there any virtue. I'm quite unimpressed.

Do you know who I consider manly and courageous? Men like John Wycliff and his disciples the Lollards, Martin Luther, and for a contemporary example, Richard Wurmbrand. These men feared not what men could do to them, but boldly preached in Jesus' name in peril of their lives. (Wurmbrand was tortured for fourteen years in Communist prisons.)

Those are men—real men. But to lust for the death of an animal, and brag of the kill that you made with a machine equipped with a high-powered scope—that's sissified. Go after that eight-point buck with a spear and dagger, then you might have some bragging rights. I would pay to see that.

Hunt if you want. I don't care. Really. Never did. And I don't feel sorry for the animals either, but don't assert that you were being manly by doing so, and don't assert that there is any virtue in it.

8. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to think you could have written I don't like hunting and saved us 35 pages of posts. :wavey:

9. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not In My EYES...

Jesus was defintiely not a "sissy", and I don't think there will anyone willing to tell Him that when He returns in all His Might and Glory!:thumbsup:

#29 righteousdude2, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2009
  10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

He is fulfilling his role as head of the family and home by providing for them. God created him to do be the breadwinner and he is following the nature that God created him with. That is why it's enjoyable. Just as it is enjoyable for us women to nurture children. God created us to do just that.

The fact that a man can go to Kroger's and buy a steak doesn't change the basic nature and purpose that God created him for.

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

The other day, I went after a 10-ounce ribeye with a fork and dagger.

I feel manly. :D

12. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Wait a minute. Does this mean that Revmitchell and I actually agree on something? Something is desperately wrong. I may have to go lie down. :laugh:

Tim Reynolds

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm done with the discussion, but simply wanted to clarify something:
    Who said I didn't like hunting? Weren't you paying attention? I was an avid outdoorsman. I don't hunt for sport not because I don't like it, but because it's immoral. God is neither pleased nor glorified, but it's a vice common to man, and, like smoking, is mild as far as vices go, so I don't really care if one hunts.

Now I said hunting for sport was immoral, but it's also expensive. Hunting for sport is a liability, not an asset. So men hunt to provide food for the family? Get real, Amy.

If you want to argue more, that's fine. I'm done, but see if you can make an argument that isn't about foraging—that is, hunting for food (which is a rare thing)—, because, as you can plainly see, I was talking about hunting for sport.

Think I'll go back and highlight those phrases. Y'all have a tough time keeping them in mind as you justify your vice.

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Why don't you get real and actually read what I wrote. I said that men enjoy hunting because God created them as providers. It is their God given nature. Therefore, it is not sinful to enjoy the hunt.

:sleep:

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Statistics are against us bro. It had to happen sooner or later. Sorry about that.:eek:

16. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I've never met a hunter who didn't enjoy the hunt. All this talk makes me want to go hunting...checkign the weather..

Aaron, if you want to let other men and women do all the killing and cleaning of the animals you eat, so be it. Most of us do that. But to call hunting immoral is ignorant.

17. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I guess this as as good a way to exit an arguement that one has lost, many times and ways, as any other.