1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Jesus Married?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As some have said, "words are important," and to say that such a question is heresy, or stupid, or childish does not indicate to me a lack of emotion nor a willingness to consider the idea rationally.

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice dodge. Are you a politician?

Do you believe Jesus was married? A simple "yes" or "no" would be great.

3. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, no, I would be a very poor politician.

I do not know if Jesus was married or not and I do not see it as an important issue ... an interesting one, but not an important one.

How 'bout you?

4. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I said in post #2 - no, I don't think so.

If this is such a non-important issue, why the thread? Just to stir up a little trouble?

5. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, not trying to cause trouble though I seem to have stuck a stick in a hornets nest for some people. Just curious about what people believe on the subject. There are many subjects I feel are interesting to discuss and to mull over that are not particularly important in the great scheme of things.

The only really important issue is "What is necessary for salvation?" That is a topic for another threat, and I expect it has been discussed in the past.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those who take The Word of God seriously and see it as more than just a "book of words" have no need to ask such foolish questions. To those the Word of God is sufficient.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...........I see.

8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Great answer!!! No, on if He had a wife.

9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Earlier
    I tend to believe there is so much that is actually addressed in scripture: the incarnation, grace, predestination, the resurrection.....etc: that any one person could spend their entire life plumbing the depths of any one topic....why speculate on something that can only distract from God's true revelation found in His Word which He has reveal to be the essence of Truth that will sanctify us(set us apart from the world)?

To spend our time speculating on whether Jesus was married is a waste of time at the very least and it is indulging the possibility of a lie straight out of hell at its worst.

peace to you:praying:

10. standingfirminChrist

Matthew 8:20 And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.

I would think if He was married while on this earth, He would not have made this statement. Surely He would have provided for His wife if He were married and would have had a home in which He could lay His head down at night.

11. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

When reading this thread, these verses are what come to mind.

2Ti 2:14 Remind {them} of these things, and solemnly charge {them} in the presence of God not to wrangle about words, which is useless {and leads} to the ruin of the hearers.
    2Ti 2:15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.
    2Ti 2:16 But avoid worldly {and} empty chatter, for it will lead to further ungodliness,
    2Ti 2:17 and their talk will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus,

2Ti 2:23 But refuse foolish and ignorant speculations, knowing that they produce quarrels.

12. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmmmm, well that cuts out just about every discussion on this web site. :laugh:

13. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

A hearty AMEN to that! :thumbs:

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

[​IMG][​IMG][FONT=verdana,sans-serif] :applause:

Ed
    [/FONT]

#74 EdSutton, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2008
  15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I think David Lamb has this right, here. I does have nothing to do with any "comfort zone", except the "discomfort zone" of dealing with those who would add to the Scripture with things Scripture simply does not say.

No, it would not bother me, in the least, had Scripture actually made or even hinted at any such declaration of Jesus being married. It does not even hint at such.

It bothers me very much when anyone attempts to surreptitiously add words to the Scripture.
    For someone who is not attempting to 'push' any such idea, or doesn't see it as "an important issue", you certainly have invested a great deal of time, space, and 'ink', I would say.

Ed

#75 EdSutton, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2008
  16. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Well said Ed, very well said indeed.

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yes, Jesus was married:

Rom 7:4Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, [even] to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

And the church was all he was married to, He had no other wife, He had no concubines. Put it in your pipe and smoke it. Such silly questions. Are we married to a King who has another wife, foolish.

BBob,

18. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Well I think it is an interesting question myself. Of course I was always the kind of kid to stir up ant hills and throw rocks at hornet nests. ;-)

No, I don't think He was married. The main reason is that to start a family knowing he was going to die at about age 33 seems to me very shortsighted and inconsiderate, assuming He did know all of His future. Also, it would probably have been mentioned in scripture if He was.

But, if we did find ancient documents proving He was married that would be fine with me. It might take a while to digest and understand the implications, but whatever Jesus did would have to be the right thing. Correct?

There is some mention of some of Jesus' neices or nephews along about 100 AD or so in some sort of church documents, I believe.

19. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

But what would that show about marriage? I am married, and so is one of my two brothers. We each have two children, and those four children are nieces and nephews of my other, unmarried brother. Many single people have nephews and nieces.

20. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Absolutely nothing to do with marriage. I meant that as just an interesting note. Sorry if it sounded like I was making an argument for/against Jesus being married.
    I guess thinking about the "was Jesus married?" thing got me thinking about Him having physical descendants (which I really, really, really doubt) which led to me thinking about Him having neices and nephews (probably) that could claim a blood relationship with Him, which just seems kind of profound.

But, again, nothing to do with marriage.