1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Judas saved?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Kay, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Actually, the Bible tells us that animals do have souls.

But, although I agree with you that the Bible clearly shows us that Judas was spiritually saved, the Bible also tells us that that cannot be forfeited. However, he did fall from something to something.

At least you can see that he was a disciple, and as such, was in the family.

2. standingfirminChrist

Disagree. Scripture clearly shows Judas was lost. He had the heart of a thief while a Disciple. He never acknowledged Christ as Lord. He sold the Son of God to sinful men for greed.

He was never saved.

3. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Jesus chose the twelve which included His betrayer.
    "I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me."

Judas was a thief.
    " Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's [son], which should betray him,
    Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
    This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein."

Doesn't sound like a man that was interested in healing people, as some mentioned of him in prior post.

He was chosen lost, lived lost, and died lost.

You can make no comparison between Judas and Peter regarding salvation.
    Peter was rebuked in conversation. Judas was called out in idleness.

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Let's confuse the issue by applying Scripture:

J
    ohn 12:4 “Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot…”

To be a disciple of Christ you must be saved; you must in God's family.
    A disciple is called out from among the saved. Not every child of God is a disciple. A disciple is not happy with just being saved; he desires to go on further knowing the Lord's will for his life. He is "growing in grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ". He continues in the words of Christ and is getting to know the truth which sets him free from the power of sin. A disciple has a hunger to obey the commandments of Jesus Christ. His level of commitment is higher than that of a normal saved person who attends church only on Sundays, if at all.

Judas Iscariot was a disciple! That is what the Bible says!

But, discipleship is conditional, and it's based on obedience.

Luke 14:26-27: If any [saved] man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

Some people like to use this passage to show how one can get saved. That's silly! Jesus was speaking to His disciples. He had placed conditions on discipleship. This is not how a person gets born into the family. To be a disciple one must spend time with the Lord. Discipleship will cost you your time, your own desires, your own pursuits, and it might even cost you your family relationships.

The word "hate," in Luke 14:26, is a term that means preference. It doesn't mean that we hate our family with bitter animosity, but rather, it means we place our allegiance to Christ and His will over family relationships. He has the first place in our lives. That is being a disciple. Judas was a disciple. He obeyed this passage. He was a follower of Jesus Christ. Therefore, he was a saved man. He was a Jew that believed in the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and he also believed that Jesus was the Christ.

To get born into the family does not cost us anything. To get born into the family, all you do is believe.

Acts 16:30-31: “…Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

You can know that you are in the family. It is not something we hope for; it's an absolute assurance which is based on the finished work of Jesus on the cross.

Judas was not only a disciple of Jesus Christ but he was chosen by the Lord, out of all his disciples, to fulfill a unique ministry as one of the twelve apostles, and Judas was one of the twelve!

Luke 6:13-16: And when it was day, he called unto him his disciples: and of them he chose twelve, whom also he named apostles; Simon, (whom he also named Peter,) and Andrew his brother, James and John, Philip and Bartholomew, Matthew and Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon called Zelotes, And Judas the brother of James, and Judas Iscariot, which also was the traitor.

John 6:71: He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

The ministry of the twelve apostles was unique and different from our ministry today.They were taught directly by Jesus Christ and they followed Him around the land of Israel. Also, in 2 Corinthians 12:12, they were given special power and authority to perform signs, wonders, and miracles in order to give them credibility that God was with them, and that Jesus was truly the Christ. Judas was part of this elect group of men. Peter says in Acts 1:17 that "For he was numbered with us and had obtained part of this ministry."

The Lord Jesus Christ called Judas His friend.

Matthew 26:50: And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come? Then came they, and laid hands on Jesus, and took him.

In the Psalms there is a prophesy about Judas. It'sa double reference. It also refers to Ahithophel who was one of King David's closest counselors in his kingdom. He ended up betraying David though he was his friend.

Psalm 41:9: Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.

The Lord quoted this Psalm in John 13:18 as being fulfilled through Judas: "I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me.”

To eat bread with the King was an honor that was only given to those who were very close to him.
    Psalm 55 is a prophesy about Judas, and it tells us that Judas was not the Lord's enemy!

Psalm 55:12-14: For it was not an enemy that reproached me; then I could have borne it: neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me; then I would have hid myself from him: But it was thou, a man mine equal, my guide, and mine acquaintance. We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company.

The twelve had a close relationship with the Lord. It was a more intimate fellowship than what all the multitudes that followed Jesus had with him. Jesus ministered to the multitudes but he taught and showed things to the twelve that the multitudes did not see or hear.

Judas was very close to the Lord.

5. standingfirminChrist

Disciple means follower, not saved.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, I meant his steadfastness in the ministry. The devil has ministers the same as God and they do not have horns either.
    One thing I wonder about though, "his own place". Seems to be saying something. IMO

#46 Brother Bob, Aug 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2007
  7. standingfirminChrist

Judas was close to the Lord because he was looking for gain. Not Salvation. Judas was not saved no matter how many times you say he was and no matter how you twist the Scripture

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. What is meant by "his own place"? I guess it's a translation issue then?

2. What do you mean by "steadfastness in the ministry"?

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Are the disciples of Mohammed saved? The word "disciple" simply means "follower." As Muslims are followers of Mohammed, the disciples of Christ "followed" Christ. They were his followers.

Let's NOT confuse the issue, and let us rightly divde the word of truth!

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, I have known several ministers who turned out to not even be saved. We thought they were really "good" ministers too, then found out they were having more fun with the women than they should of had. We do not believe God was keeping them in the ministry, but they were keeping themselves, by nature. Studying by nature, preaching by nature on their own.
    When I come to the stand, I have no prepared sermon, I am totally dependant on the Lord. I have to do my part and study the scripture, but its up to him to revelate my mind and make a "picture" out of what I am preaching so its easyly understood by the congregation. If they don't know or see the picture, then you lose them, I believe that comes from the Lord. He revelates my mind to bring it all together to give a message.

BBob,

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I view Judas in the same light. For reasons I cannot put my hands on, Judas was a devil among Jesus and the other disciples (John 6:70).

2. Jesus never prayed for Judas to be kept (John 17:9, 12; 6:37, 39).

12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Are the disciples of Mohammed disciples of Christ?

The answer is "no".

Why?

Because they are disciples of Mohammed. They embrace his teachings. They follow him. They follow his words.

Just as a disciple of Jesus Christ embrace his teachings. They follow him. They follow his words.

Does believing on Mohammed get a person born into the family of God?

Does believing on the Lord Jesus get a person born into the family of God?

A disciple of Jesus Christ is saved!

Period.

No matter how much you say, "No he isn't!" and twist the Scriptures.

13. standingfirminChrist

Judas did not embrace Jesus' teachings. As a matter of fact, if one rightly divides the Word of Truth, one will see that Judas walked contrary to Christ's teachings.

14. standingfirminChrist

Judas may have walked with Christ and the other Disciples, but he served a different master than Christ.

He loved the one and hated the other. He loved the wealth satan offered him so much, that in the end, he showed his hate for Christ by betraying Him.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You have no Scripture to back that up with; you didn't provide any. It is simply opinion. There is no difference between a disciple of Christ and a disciple of Mohammed except in the object of their faith or the leader in which they follow. The word disciple simply means "follower." A person can be a follower of anyone. It does not guarantee that you are saved, not even if you are discipled. Jesus had many that followed him. But because he knew the hearts of all men, he did not commit himself to them.

16. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: So then can we conclude that all of the five thousand that followed Christ and were fed were really disciples?

17. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: So you don’t have to be discipled to be a disciple? I wonder if you have to follow to be a follower? Are you saying that all the five thousand that followed Christ were disciples as well?
    I think that we need to rethink what it means to be a disciple of Christ.

18. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Where do you read that God did not give Jesus Judas? How can you say that Christ 'never' prayed for Judas to be kept? Do we hold in our hands the transcript of every prayer Jesus prayed?
    Christ wept over Jerusalem, but they all were not kept that I know of. Jesus said that he did lose one, Judas. None were lost and all were kept, BUT the son of perdition. This would indicate to me that Judas was the one exception.
    Joh 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

Jesus said He for at least a time He 'kept them.." There is no indication that I can read that Judas was not kept for a time. There have been some that felt that Judas was one of Christ's closest and most trusted disciples for a time. I personally would lean towards that understanding.

#58 Heavenly Pilgrim, Aug 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2007
  19. Kay

Kay New Member

StandingfirminChrist

First I want you to know I am not disagree because I am unsure and looking for the answers. You said

Quote:
    And I besought thy disciples to cast him out; and they could not. (Luke 9:40)

Can I ask you why they could not?

This is the verse I had in mind about demons

Matthew 10:1 (KJV)
    1 And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.

It would appear He gave them power to cast out demons and that includes Judas as one of the twelve, Don't you think?

You also said

Judas did not embrace Jesus' teachings. As a matter of fact, if one rightly divides the Word of Truth, one will see that Judas walked contrary to Christ's teachings.

Could I please have some scripture to show this that he walked contrary to His teachings?

20. standingfirminChrist

In light of what the Word of God says about Judas and how Jesus knew he was the one who would betray Him from the beginning, yes, rethinking what it means to be a disciple of Christ would be good for you.