1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was McCain wrong in voting against ML King holiday

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

We have a war going on in two nations, entitlement spending is going to bankrupt this country, children are being slaughtered every day in this nation, the economy is sagging, and people do not have adequate health insurance. But I have an idea: let's make a vote on a Federal Holiday a front-burner issue.

Nice.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is hardly a front-burner issue. It was a one day issue for the 40th anniversary of the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

That was one wasted day :tear: Instead of remembering Dr. King and his legacy, let's talk about a vote on a holiday. Yeah, that'll help race relations in America :BangHead:

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom, I heard/saw very little discussion about Senator McCain's vote. I don't think it was as big of a news story as you make it out to be.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I am not making the big fuss. Your party is, Ken.

http://www.democrats.org/a/2007/01/mccain_spends_m.php

Many other sites picked it up (do a Google...you'll find dozens). McCain responded to it. The media put this out there after the Dems put out their talking points that are atrocious (the part about the racist ads in the above link re:Harold Ford's '06 senate race is just pure bull that has been debunked a billion times).

I am hardly the one making the big deal. I am criticizing those who make this a big deal at the expense of big deals. Typical politics now a days in these United States.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simply some mentions of it doesn't mean that it dominated the news...because it didn't dominate the news.

8. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

i don't think it was wrong for him to vote against it since at the time, if i'm not mistaken, he was representing the will of his constituents who by and large were also opposed to the holiday also.
    Hindsight says it probably wasn't a good move, but at the time it was the right vote to represent the will of the people.

9. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Always wondered why they didn't just call the Holiday "National Civil Rights Day", place it on the third Monday of January and honor a lot of people in addition to MLK.

10. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

This is ssoooooooooo true. Everything but real issues is what they talk about. This has been the poorest excuse for an election I think I've ever seen.

I have a sinking feeling that those sounds from my gut are not hunger pains or gas, but a real feeling that everything I'm watching in this election is already decided in the board rooms and in the back room of the parties elite..... so it makes no difference..... no real difference who is elected there will be no change in the Whitehouse... only faces... and maybe a Party.

The American public knows there are real issues, but the networks skate around them or skip quickly over them: And the political candidates do the same injustice to the American people's mind by their 'damage control' of keeping triviality on the front burner so they don't have to admit or address or commit to the more serious issues.

Time once was that our Senators were elected by a vote of each state's congress. Considering the information they are privileged to hear and the rights belonging to the states which they have partaken in giving to the federal government.... I think the original plan was better. The people who vote these people in don't see what their own state government sees regarding their representation for the people.

Regarding McCains vote and confession, I say 'so what' to both.

Regarding MLK HOLIDAY, I have more to offer in next post... or go to WIKI and see yourself.

11. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

MLK/ MCCAIN etc

before insert, I'll say that recently I was astounded by a radio interview by an investigator which helped the King family case against the government: It was a court trial held in Memphis, Tn. Reporters showed up the first day of trial but never again. Reports of the trial were few...mostly local... I thought from the interview, I'd have to go buy his book and then WIKI includes it: The first sections presented the change of policies and the power of King's influence which threatened, at least as far as the Johnson administration was concerned:

According to the investigator, when the King party arrived at the Hotel, they were given a sudden change in rooms from the one originally assigned and confirmed and which would have been less exposed. A few of the men in special forces involved in a high security intelligence stake out at the Hotel complete with sniper riffles came forward and presented sworn affadavits, but had been hiding for their lives and returned to hiding before they could appear in court, not having received promise of government protection. There were many things amiss including inside involvement and influence by government snoops. The king family won their trail. JE Ray, never got the retrial promised to him by his first judge. Conveniently, after the first judge had read new evidence which included wittnesses and set a date for the court, he died suddenly and another judge sat the case and threw it out refusing retrial. JE Ray died in prison.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I tend to agree. There are many great Americans who could be honored as far as advancing equal rights for all, and not just African-Americans.