1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

was that Jesus In OT AS "Angel of The Lord?"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Apr 16, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

was that Jesus appearing in OT pre Incarnated, or was that "just" an angel?

OR
    Was that God the Son actually appearing in form of an Angel, just a temp body, before he would come as Jesus?

So God the Son was there, but Jesus was not yet, as he was not incarnated yet as Jesus?

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think so. Sometimes the Angel speaks as a messager of God, like Jesus in the flesh, and sometimes the Angel speaks as God, like Jesus God incarnate.

God the Son was in existence before creation, and may also have been the voice in the burning bush.

But what may be and what we should teach as doctrine are two different things. I would leave it as a possible understanding of the text, but other views are possible, just not mine. :)

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I do not believe that the person we think of as Jesus was in eternity past. I do believe that the 2nd person of the Trinity was in eternity past who was the word of God John 1:1,14 and who apeared from time to time in Christophanies.

4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

So you would hold to doctrine of the Eternal Sonship view, but that when the Son incarnated as a man, that was when he became forever more "Jesus?"

#4 JesusFan, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011
  5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am not sure there is an absolute answer although some might hold there is. Did the heavenly host call the Word of God the Son of God before He was incarnate. I don't know. I do know scriptutre says He will be called the son, future tense.
    He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

One can get several understandings from that and I have not mnaed up my mind. I do hold thta he was the Word in eternity past, but I am not sure of what else he was called or was considered.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes the Word was called the Son in Hebrews 1:8-10 as laying the foundation of the earth.
    I think it is possible to view the terminology as anachronistic, using the incarnate Son name for the Word before the incarnation.