1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was the church built where Peter was burried?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Dec 28, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I saw a documentary where they said that right there where his bones were burried they built a church. Is this true? Does this mean that this is what Jesus meant when he said that he will build His church on Peter? This sounds a bit sarcastic, doesn't it? And this would also mean that Jesus was referring to the catholic church as His church. :confused:

2. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

It's possible that the church you refer to is built over Peter's resting place.

But the meaning of Jesus' words was quite different, and in any case the Catholic Church is a Christian church, and thus a part of Jesus' church in any case.

3. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Here is the scripture:

18 “And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.” Matthew 16:18, NKJV.

There are three words that are important to know in answering your question:

First, did Jesus say he would build His church on Peter, the Rock? No. Jesus calls Peter, petros (pebble), and then says he will build his church on petra (rock). So what is the rock? Some believe the rock in question is the confession Peter has just made...that was revealed by the Holy Spirit. This confession that Jesus is the Christ, is the son of God is greater than Peter and is the foundation of the church.

As for the church, built on Peter's bones. It may be his bones, it may not be. It really doesn't matter. "Church" or ekklesia certainly would not have meant a buidling in those days, but rather the gathering of people. Jesus is not talking about a physical structure being built on anything, but rather His people being built on this confession.

Now, let me ask you something: Where are you coming from? Daily you post questions, either from some controversial sermon, an old website, or a documentary. You rarely have anything else to say. What gives?

4. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I think xdx is a wonderful source of topics for discussion, and I enjoy his cahllenges enormously.

5. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

How in the world do you come up with all these questions, xdx?

6. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Church was built upon the Rock of Salvation ( Deutronomy 32:15, 18)> Jesus was talking about this Rock (Tsur) when He spoke with Peter ( Mt 16:18).

Read my posts in the otehr thread " The Pope"

7. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I don't know. I guess I'm simply curious. :confused:
    I have many questions, too many to ask. I already have to make a choice which question I want to ask.

Thanks to all who replied. :)

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

No. It is not.

9. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Okay. :):flower: