1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured was the Flood local or worldwide?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed, there would have been vast uphevals and typography changes during Fllood, so the assumptions of there being layers millions of years old, long glacier ages, dating because gases and decay was same etc, just NOT true!

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

The canopy theory has been dealt with quite effectively with solid science. That theory, if memory serves correctly, comes from the "firmament" which meaning other than a "canopy"

From the Creation Research Institute

Canopy theory. This is not a direct teaching of Scripture, so there is no place for dogmatism. Also, no suitable model has been developed that holds sufficient water; but some creationists suggest a partial canopy may have been present. For CMI’s current opinion, see Noah’s Flood—Where did the water come from?.

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    50-150,000 years for man WAY different than millions of yaers as evolutionists hold...

And I don't find ANY refercing in Bible to support usher as the definite date, but also see in scientific facts , no way can be extremed aged either!

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    have you ever heard of the underwater supplies that released from ocean bottom into surface?

6. Archie the Preacher

Yeshua, you're avoiding the question.

Actually, that is the time period for existence of humans; not for the age of the Earth. Nor was that the question.

Ah. So you're a 'Young Earth' believer, but not based on Bishop Ussher, who is the main source for the Young Earth theory. So where DID you get your possible age of the Earth? Is it based on something, or did you just pull a date from the air?

7. quantumfaith

Certainly, there are VAST volumes of subterranean water. That is no mystery. If the flood was indeed global, it stands to reason that release of that could very well have been part of the deluge.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    believe have read math models that showed that if we extrapolate for births/death based upon poplation increse/decreasing due to birth rtes/death rates from natural disasters/wars etc, farthest back we can get tohave a pair of first humans is about 47,000 years ago!

9. quantumfaith

Not sure about "that math" as I have never come across that proposal. However, 47000 years ago is much longer than most (if not all) YEC proponents are willing to accept.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would see 50,000 as the very outer age of creation in past, but probably closer to say 10,000. just do not see that ussher date as being "inspired date' from God!

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So where DID you get your possible age of the Earth? Is it based on something, or did you just pull a date from the air?--Archie the Preacher

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be consistent age , assuming for worldwideflodding, and the current observations of the universe!

13. Archie the Preacher

Okay.

Do you notice the discrepancy between the 'background' (taking 47,000 years to get to current population) and your 'closer to say 10,000'? I'm not trying to pick on you, but 'consistency' in thinking is important.

Does the 47,000 year estimate allow for Noah's Flood killing off nearly all the Earth's population?

By the way, I agree the Ussher date is unreliable. He did a lot of work and in good faith, but he based his calculations on misunderstood information.

14. Archie the Preacher

Aquifers

Quantum, are you referring to aquifers?

Do you know of any mechanism that would cause an aquifer to expel the water contained and hold it on the surface of the Earth?

15. quantumfaith

Yes, I suppose so...that I am referring to aquifers. I have no specified geologic or hydrolic training or education. Thus, I cannot say any "natural" reason for aquifers to release the water contained within them.

16. Archie the Preacher

Aquifers...

Okay. I don't either (specific training) and I have no specific thought on the subject other than well water must typically be pumped from underground. Some areas of some aquifers are 'artesian' where underground pressure pushes water to the surface, but this isn't the rule around the world. So, IF the underground water came to the surface, something had to make it move.

17. quantumfaith

Agreed, we both know that would not be a big effort on the part of God to "make it so". I have always tended to a global flood, but I have read many good positions arguing for a more localized flood.

18. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I believe Scripture supports that!

Genesis 7:11. In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

20. quantumfaith

Thanks OR, I am (was) aware of that, the reason I brought it up. Thank YOU for the reference.