1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Was the miracle in the speaking or the hearing?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Pastor_Bob, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

What, in your opinion, was the miracle at Pentecost? Were the disciples given the ability to speak all these different languages or were those present given the ability to hear the message in their own language while the disciples preached in their native tongue?

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would say that the Spirit gave to them a real language unknown to them to speak and preach Jesus, and any tongues clam today would need to be a real but unknown to user language!

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh? Did you miss verse four?

"And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance."

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Possibly a bit of both, but it was at least a gift of speaking in the "heart language" (the language of that person's birth and thoughts). For the multi-lingual, I'm sure it was particularly amazing to hear the same things said concurrently by different people in different languages at once.

Remember, there were a fair number of people in that upper room - not just The Twelve - so there were many men and women speaking in tongues.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And speaking in real languages would be real gift of tongues . not the gibbiresh passing as such in Charasmatic chaos!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that what happens in holy rollers? Bro. Ralph lets out something like, "Lama lama shapa ka." And Sis. Margarita tells everybody he's speaking Spanish?

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Either that, or else had too much pizza for lunch!

8. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, sir, I did not miss verse four at all. I, personally, am firmly convinced that the divine gift was given to the speakers and not the hearers. However, I know good men who would disagree with that opinion. Therefore, I posed the question here. And, there certainly is room for some speculation.

For example, when Peter, in verse 14, began to address the crowd, did they hear him in their own language or did all of the other disciples interpret what he was saying to the various people groups in the crowd?

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Either way would be an act of God, but think real languages fits best...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are told they spake with "other tongues," but the gift of interpretation of tongues, though doubtful it was used here, would be one of hearing in my opinion.

11. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't imagine that speaking in tongues is the miracle but, the hearing in your own language must have been. The holy Spirit was at work among these people. In order that they would have a good understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Their hearing and calling was a mighty work of God. I would have liked to be there to see and hear what was going on.
    MB

12. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    EXACTLY!

This post above is often missed among those who are gibberish inclined, and desire some "special" from the Father.

That said, it is a fact that, even in this modern times, there are those who struggle significantly to learn a language and skill to use that language, while others may that have a gift of learning multiple languages and the skill to use that gift effectively. The same with the healing arts. There are many average doctors of healing arts, but very few are those who are gifted in that field.

The gifted and talented are given such a gift by God. (James 1:17 - 27)

Now, the early church didn't have language schools, and there were no "multi-lingual" classes given, so God presented such gifts to meet an immediate need. By the end of the first century, there were established schools in both Alexandria and in Ephesus.

The problem, in which some cannot come to terms, is that such a gift of languages and a gift of healing did not end with the apostles. The sudden overt display may not be the same, but that does not diminish God's use and purpose of such gifting.

The gifts may not manifest in the same overt manner as at Pentecost or during the apostolic time, but any educator worthy of credentials has upon occasion met at least one gifted student in the learning and excellence of languages, and a huge number that are not.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me, the key here is that te Lord used those signs and wonders to confirm to Jews jesus was Messiah, an to Gentiles that He was their Lord lso!
    Notreally needed todo such now, but would still see it at times in nations/lands pretty much closed off to the Gospel, as have heard stories of God using vision and dream to reach Muslims today!

14. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps.

But did not our Lord provide clear evidence in the three years, and it was rejected.

Was not Peter shown directly by the Father that the message was to be presented to the gentiles?

You and I have heard remarkable stories. Which in themselves would demonstrate God will even today use whatever means He chooses, and nothing has "ceased" as some would claim.

My basic point being that until the Lord Jesus returns, the Father will continue to choose those who will be saved, using the tools He selects.

Being multi-lingual is a gift, and the ability to discern the languages of the Scriptures and impart them in clarity to believers requires that a remarkable gift be bestowed by God.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God can still choose to heal, save, do miracles on His own, but there are none gifted to do such today as the Apostles were!

16. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well it is the gift of "tongues" and I don't read anything about the gift of "hearing." There were at least twelve (the apostles) speaking in tongues and there are possibly 12 dialects referred to in verses 9-11. However, remember most people in that day were multilingual and without question all of these spoke Aramaic which Peter no doubt preached to them in.

17. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The general impression given is that the miracle noted is that their language was being spoken. Aaron makes a good point in mentioning the gift of interpretation, and I would agree it is doubtful that those commenting on the miracle were at this point saved, so we would probably not ascribe this gift as having been given to those unconverted. So I would take the position that they were in fact speaking the dialects of those addressed, and this would be the miracle in view.

God bless.