1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured wasn't the historical position of the Church was Literal 6 days/Young earth?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus seemed to hold to Adam and Eve were historical humnas, crated not evolved, and still love what Luther said, when theistic evolutionists thinking strated even then, with denying literal 6 days, as he said that we should allow that the Holy spirit is wiser than us when he had tose verses penned down!

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course they were historical humans, the very first ones.

Theistic evolution as least gives God both a place and the glory for His awesome creation.

Psalm 29 <A Psalm of David.>
    1 Give unto the LORD, O ye mighty, give unto the LORD glory and strength.
    2 Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.
    3 The voice of the LORD is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the LORD is upon many waters.
    4 The voice of the LORD is powerful; the voice of the LORD is full of majesty.
    5 The voice of the LORD breaketh the cedars; yea, the LORD breaketh the cedars of Lebanon.
    6 He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.
    7 The voice of the LORD divideth the flames of fire.
    8 The voice of the LORD shaketh the wilderness; the LORD shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh.
    9 The voice of the LORD maketh the hinds to calve, and discovereth the forests: and in his temple doth every one speak of his glory.
    10 The LORD sitteth upon the flood; yea, the LORD sitteth King for ever.
    11 The LORD will give strength unto his people; the LORD will bless his people with peace.​

HankD

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    perhaps, but find it hard to reconcile that God used the evolutionary process to creat new species and eventually man, when bible states all species made after their own kind, and Adam direct creation by God!

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I agree Yeshua, I am strongly YEC as you are.

I'm just asking that you give them a little space.

It's not like they have denied the deity of Christ.

HankD

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would being old earth have anything to do with evolution?

I am old earth, yet I do not believe anything was evolving in Genesis 1:2. I believe in 1:2 the earth was without form and void and darkness was upon the face of the deep. In other words the earth had become a dead planet.

And because of this death God was about to deal with that death and him who had the power of that death, that is the devil.

God was going to begin the process of destroying the last enemy. Death and he who had the power there of.

Christ has been raised from the dead. Yet there is still death as we understand death.

So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is thy sting? O Hades, where is thy victory?

Will there be any death after the above?

6. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are having difficulty discerning true science and pseudo science.

Theistic evolution uses the Gap Theory which puts an evolutionary amount of time between Gen. 1:1 and 1:2. A sizeable amount of junk science is put into the gap.

The biggest problem with this is that it skews the chronology of sin. i.e. Sin in the world before the first man: Adam, also Eve, the mother of all living.

Scripture says God spoke and things came to be. This precludes accidental, haphazard explosions in a primordial ooze.

Peter says a thousand years is a day in God's time. That makes us in the end of the 6th day or 6,000 years since creation, Gen 1:1.. It all makes sense without evolutionary gyrations.

Jesus will return at the end of the 6th day to start the 7th day: the Millenium--a thousand years of righteousness. We do not know which day or hour. We do know about being ready.

Not many seem ready.

Remember Lot's wife.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

#46 Bro. James, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2014
  7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think been very christ like to my bethren holding those views, its just that some of them come across as saying that ANY christian holding to young earth, who denies basic Evolutionary 'scientific facts", are stuck in stone age, holding to flat earth too!

8. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I do not think of my "brothers" who hold to YEC in that way. I some colleagues in the world of science that adhere to YEC and I have the greatest of respect for them, and always will.

I appreciate it when, each "side" attempts with sincerity to understand anothers view, and even when in non-agreement, still having christian love and mutual respect.

9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To open their eyes, to turn from darkness to light, and the power of Satan unto God, Acts 26:18

Who is Satan?

Where was Satan at this moment? And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
    Is the Devil the same as Satan in Acts 26:18
    But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. James 1:14,15

Where does the lust come from that gives birth to sin which results in the Devil, Satan having power over one? Who/What enticed through deception the woman who had been taken from the man? What did the man lust for which gave birth to sin resulting in death.

Was the earth in Genesis 1:1 a dead planet? A planet without life?
    What was the darkness which was upon the face of the deep in Genesis 1:2?

This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 1 John 1:5

Being that is true what was the darkness upon the face of the deep.
    And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. Genesis 1:4

Is that the same light and darkness spoken of in Acts 26:18?

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know Yeshua.
    It's a challenge being YEC but it's not unbearable.

HankD

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    perhaps it because I once was a devout holder in evolution and billions of years,

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So was I, my favorite author was Enri Bergson Creative Evolution and his concept of the elan vital.

HankD

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once HE saved me, the darwinin evolution went by after exploringGod and creationism, and Theistic evoultion went away after see Adam as a special creation of God, not evolution, and God created all creatures after their own kinds!

14. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

It helps the study, debate, and conversation a great deal if YEC advocates realize that not all OEC people disbelieve a literal reading of Genesis.

What many of us hold is that Genesis does not literally say God created in 6 24 hour days. That is far different from saying God did not create, did not create by special act, or any of the things we get accused of saying.

Since God's 7th day continues yet, clearly 24 hour days are not the only valid literal understanding.

We really need to separate the ideas of various forms of OEC and the belief that God did not create or that Genesis is not true.

Rather than fight each other over the how and when, we need to be proclaiming to the world the Who.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The standard theistic approach though to NOT take genesis literal fashion, that it instead to be read as something else, and many discount lieteral/historical Adam And Eve!

And they hold God as first Creator, but he also created and used evolutionary process for life on earth!

16. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

The real church still holds to the literal six days.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How are you defining "real Church?"

Are theistic Christians not part of that?

18. Ed B

Ed B Member

As I was preparing for a class this weekend I looked at what the ECF's thought about Genesis 1. It turns out that Augustine of Hippo did not believe in a 6x24 hour creation time span. He believed that creation happened all at once and that the six days in Genesis are a literary device for telling the story. I guess Augustine was a young(er) earth creationist....younger by 5.9999 days.

19. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

If we want to insist on a literalist reading of the Bible all the way through, and adhere to the historic position of the church, wouldn't that make us transsubstantiationists?

After all, doesn't the RCC base their belief regarding Communion on a literal reading of "eat my body, drink my blood?"

20. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Of course. And we should all limp in to Heaven, as well, with an eye missing.
    The only Moron I know of, historically, who choked to death on that gnat, was Origen.
    'Literal first', not "literal only"