1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wasted votes

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 14, 2004.

?
  1. Voting for a major party candidate even if you don't believe in him/her.

63.6%
  2. Voting for a candidate you believe in who has "no chance" of winning.

22.7%
  3. There is no wasted vote.

13.6%
  4. Not voting or no opinion.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I know we have a polls forum, but want to leave this open for discussion.

What would you consider a wasted vote?

[ October 14, 2004, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: C4K ]

2. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You will find heated differences of opinion here.

Mine?

A vote for a conservative 3rd party candidate = a vote for Kerry.
    A vote for a liberal 3rd party candidate = a vote for Bush.

Why do you think Bush supporters passed petitions to get Nader on the ballot?

It's pure math.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no wasted vote, in my opinion. Each registered voter has the right and the power to cast his vote however he wants to. It's his vote to do as he pleases with it. To tell another person that he is wasting his vote is a rather snobbish statement, in my opinion.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I also voted "no wasted vote."

5. JesusInFirstPlace

JesusInFirstPlace New Member

I don't know exactly what was meant by the last option: No Vote or No Opinion, but that's what I said. Because I think that if you don't vote, then that is a waste! I mean, men have given sooo much to give people the opportunity to vote for whomever we wish to in America. And everyone that is old enough should vote!! But they don't, and that is such a waste of the time and sacrifices that our forefathers made to give us the rights we enjoy (and sometimes take for granted) today.

Becca

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The only wasted vote is no vote.

7. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Less than a third think voting your conscience is a wasted vote.

I think we're making some progress here...

8. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Voting for Kerry or Bush is a wasted vote as far as righteousness is concerned.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Good point Becca - That option should have been more clear. It was meant to be "not voting in this poll" but it did give you the oportunity to make an excellent point.

10. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Voting Republican instead of Constitution Party because someone says your vote is wasted if you vote Constitution Party.

Vote your conviction! And your vote won't be wasted!

11. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

"I am going to vote to keep my conscience clean first and foremost. That means I’m going to vote for the best man for the job and pray in faith (not in unbelief) for a miracle. If more saints did the same, we WILL see our miracle.[1] I am praying, "God give us godly leaders who will outlaw abortion and govern us in accordance with the laws of nature and nature's God." How can I pray this prayer and not act in accordance? Should I pray in unbelief (as evidenced by my vote on Nov.7)? Or should I pray in faith, and act in accordance to my prayers?"

SOURCE

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

After having cast my ballot for Peroutka I have more confidence than ever that I did the right thing. I now believe that even if my vote was in a "close state" I would have done the same thing.

There is no such thing as a "wasted vote," IMHO. Those who vote for Bush or Kerry because they are fully convinced in their own minds that that is the best choice should surely do so.

I would question the wisdom of voting for any one that you do not really support for pragmatic reasons.

13. Pennsylvania Jim

Well said, C4K. Thanks for the interesting poll.

14. steveo

steveo New Member

God also tells us to be wise,the days are evil, and we all know it will either be Kerry or Bush.
    One time my friend wanted to come over and his wife was sick, and we just had our baby.
    I said dont come, and he said "Don't you have enough faith?
    My point is we should walk by faith but God did give us a brain.

15. Pete

Pete New Member

Voting for a major when there are better candidates...I don't get it.

That's why I don't vote. If seat went to preferences then my vote would end up in hands of one of the majors. No thanks.

16. steveo

steveo New Member

Look at what happened when people voted for Perot.
    Was it even close??
    A vote for anyone else is a vote for Kerry and at least Bush is the better choice.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

My vote was NOT a vote for Kerry.

It was a vote for the candidate who best mirrored my own views.

18. Pennsylvania Jim

True...but put your brain to work on this:

"...The conservative "incrementalists" condemn my approach as an "all-or-nothing" mentality that is doomed to obscurity and failure. I have two comments about the philosophy of incrementalism when it comes to President Bush. First, if Bush is "incrementally" taking us anywhere, it's to the left. The same goes with the Republican party as a whole: they are "incrementally" taking conservativism to the left - we are not taking them to the right. Under G.W. Bush and a Republican dominated Congress and Senate, there are more babies dying at the expense of the taxpayers, there are more sodomite proponents of gay marriage being elevated to positions of government leadership, the central government is getting larger and the Constitutional rights are being undermined even more than under Clinton. Conservatives have been betrayed by Bush's rhetoric, and have not judged him by his fruit."

SOURCE

19. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

A Vote for a Third Party is a Vote for _____

This has to be one of the arguments that gets thrown at me more than any other argument. Voters who are used to voting based on blind party loyalty always seem to think that a vote for a third party candidate is a wasted vote. People tell me that by voting for Peroutka, I am actually voting for Kerry. I have come to the conclusion that these people haven't actually thought about their argument at all.

The first problem with this argument is that these voters think that my vote belongs to one of the major party candidates. My vote belongs to me, no candidate is entitled to that vote.

The second problem with their argument is that they automatically assume that if I were not voting for Peroutka, then I would simply "hold my nose" and vote for Bush. Again, they are incorrect in their thinking.

In 1996 I left the Presidential part of my ballot blank, I was not about to vote for Bob Dole simply because he had an (R) beside his name. In 2000 I didn't vote for George W. Bush, and have never had any intentions of voting for him in November. My vote is not taking a vote away from George Bush, because my vote never belonged to George Bush, so my vote is NOT for Kerry, but for Peroutka, the only conservative candidate who will be on the ballot in November.

For me, it's not about the "numbers" that count on election day, but how I will answer to God if I compromise my principles by voting for someone who stands for what I don't believe in.

Source: My Blog

20. steveo

steveo New Member

All I can say is that if Kerry gets in, I hope you feel that not voting for a major was worth it.
    No matter what you say about Bush, Kerry is worse.