1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Watch out for HyperCalvinism!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you show me just where I ever said that you did?

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I may have misunderstood you.

3. Herald

Herald New Member

Can one speak a word to you in love and not be dismissed as judgmental?

You come across as someone who is consumed with "self". It is almost as though you see yourself as some sort of street prophet and look down on those who do not participate in, or at least advocate, street preaching. I am not saying you are that way, but you come across that way. Perhaps it is just the way you write.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since the person you quoted disparages them,he/she is one no longer.Classic hyper-Calvinism has no particular stance on the Jews and how it pertains to eschatology.

The Lord can change the heart of anyone including the heart of one who thinks he is performing a good ministy at the expense of dissing groups he thinks he has distinct theological superiority toward.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or maybe your interpretation. I am in love with evangelism and theology.

6. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Bro, don't bother with the pots calling the kettles black. It will get you nowhere and they may never see it anyhow.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was easy. Dealing with WinMan is one challenge. In his latest post he has proudly said that Calvinism is the wrong gospel. I wonder if he is implying we are not saved. I hope not because I never once said Arminianism is the wrong gospel. They are wrong in several areas, but they have the right Jesus.

8. Herald

Herald New Member

It is just the way you come across to me. But then again that is just my take. I certainly rejoice that the Gospel is proclaimed.

9. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I wouldn't worry about that either. He also says we don't believe the Bible...&c &c &c &C... He's looking for a fight so he can have something to do all day.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that the characterizations and stereotypes often get in the way of meaningful conversations. All does not boil down to the Calvinistic and Arminian debate, but it too often seems everything ends up there with some.

For example, I’ve noticed you often (normally) insert “Arminianism” into topics (e.g., the Halloween thread). If you agree with someone on one topic, but that person is non-Calvinistic, it seems you have the need to follow up with disagreeing with their “Arminianism.” Some will see this as picking a fight (I’m not sure they are entirely wrong).

I wouldn’t suggest dealing with “Calvinism vs. Arminianism” here because it is impossible and wouldn’t get anywhere – too much diversity of beliefs - but instead engage the doctrines where you disagree (I’m sure there will be quite a bit). Don’t get discouraged, don’t try to force your view on others, don’t simply dismiss their view. Keep in mind that many (including myself) really do not see the issue as one that should be so divisive.

BTW - I'm picking up that MacArthur book today - early birthday present.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you brother.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps I am foolish debating the man. A part of me does not want to hide from such a person, but then again he's looking for a fight, so maybe I am foolish for taking his bait.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not exactly agree entirely with Chic Tracts, however as noted they do preach the basic gospel message and warrant me to use them. If WOTM were as creative as they are on Halloween I would use theirs, but no question Chick has got them floored in this area.

Which book? Gospel According to Jesus?

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Put him on ignore...:laugh:

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is, but I often check his posts as he is difficult to completely ignore. He is interesting and entertaining to read. However its obvious from his latest posts to me in another thread he is looking fro a debate, so I have ignored them.

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

If I am difficult to ignore, it is because I make simple arguments directly from scripture. Anyone can easily see I am not twisting or wresting this scripture. That is WHY it gets your attention.

When you ask me a question, I try to answer. You wanted to know why I believe Calvinism teaches another gospel, and I explained. Calvinists cannot tell people that Jesus died for "our" sins as Paul taught in 1 Corinthians.

Watch your favorite preacher John MacArthur avoid this question in this video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NVaOWJijik

John MacArthur will not tell YOU or anybody else that Jesus died for YOUR sins, because he cannot possibly know that if Limited Atonement is true. Oh, he says Jesus died for SOMEBODY. Wow, that's assuring. :rolleyes:

This is not the gospel that the apostles preached, look what Peter said on the day of Pentacost.

Acts 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

There were many thousands of Jews present in Jerusalem on the day of Pentacost, in fact, over three thousand persons got saved in a single day. Note that Peter told every one of these persons that the gospel promise "is unto YOU". Not only did he tell every person that the gospel promise applied to them, but he said it applied to their children. Someone should tell that to John Piper who said he did not know if his children were elect. But Peter also said the promise was to "ALL" that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

And how many does the Lord call?

Mat 22:9 Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.
    10 So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.

In the parable of the wedding feast, how many were called? ALL, as many as could be found. No one was excluded.

Calvinism does not teach this, Calvinism teaches that Jesus only died for a few elect persons, this is what is called Limited Atonement.

That is what your favorite preacher John MacArthur teaches. Is that what you believe?

#36 Winman, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2013
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know about Chick - haven't looked at tracts. The book is Charismatic Chaos - you mentioned it on another thread and I thought I'd check it out before Strange Fire is out.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evan - If you want to debate him, perhaps this is as good as any place to start – on a different thread. It’s an interesting topic, and one that divides many Calvinists. I actually agree with Winman on this - I think that some Calvinists err when they divide components of salvation into such micro-components and found doctrine on their conclusions – but I do believe limited redemption (which some will say is the same as limited atonement and others will say it is not).

The advantage is that you can refine and clarify your own argument– it is always good to reexamine what we believe in light of other views. The downside is that it would be Déjà vu all over again….and again. :rolleyes:

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the best book on the movement in print. It will serve you well as it has me. I have recommended it to everyone.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JonC: You said "...but I do believe limited redemption (which some will say is the same as limited atonement and others will say it is not)."

You left things hanging there. What was your point?

By the way,I am not familiar with the terminology of "limited redemption". It that something you coined? Of course "limited atonement" isn't a very helpful term either. I prefer to say specific redemption or particular redemption (atonement).