1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Water on Mars Means Extraterrestrial Life?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Tim, Mar 3, 2004.

1. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just out of curosity, what does this statement mean? What bearing does "life on Mars" (or on other planets)have to do with the flood?

The Biblical account of the "flood" seems specific enough to me to be accepted just as written; IE not allegorized. Are you implying that this may be only an allegory?

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Flood geology” is used by some YEC to attempt to explain away the apparent old age of earth.
    If we were to find similar conditions (geologic features like weathering, strata, even life or it's reminants etc.) on other planets as we do on earth, then would it not stand to reason that these same conditions were caused by their ancient antiquity rather than a single worldwide flood?

“Flood geology” is just one branch in the young-earth creationist repertoire. Other theories that have been associated with flood geology (and which still are popular with some Christian groups) include the "vapor canopy" or “ice canopy” theory, the "hydroplate" theory, the “ice-comet” theory the plate shift theory, the "flat continents" theory and improbable hydraulic sorting of various layered strata. IMO, many of these are extra-biblical theories whose “proof” is found only in the misinterpretation of Scripture.

No allegory needed. I accept the biblical record as written, it’s how the biblical record is twisted into scientific mumbo jumbo that bothers me.

Rob

3. Elijah

Elijah New Member

I cant remember who exactly made this comment ( I believe it was Billy Graham ). concerning the possibility of extraterrestrial life. "Dont know if there is, but if there is, they need a Savior and I know the One for them". Not word for word, but to the best my memory, real close.
    just to show a little humor, this is from the movie CONTACT,"If there is no other life out there, it sure seems like an awful waste of space."
    [​IMG]

But seriously, the concept of ET, life doesnt bother me, and if ever discovered will not affect my faith in the least. The God I worship is omniscient and omnipresent, if you go to the farthest reaches of space He is there just like He is here. Who knows the extent of all the wonderfull things that God has done?
    Job:38-4 "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell Me if you have understanding."

4. vaspers

vaspers New Member

The Bible says the sun is a living entity, basically a "person." Where? I'll give you a hint, check Psalm 19.

The Psalms declare that all things praise God, all things in heaven and in earth. Many are the possible references to other living entities, beyond earth, in "heavenly realms". Could include more than just angels, cherubs & demons.

Some say: "figures of speech, personification." I don't think we can be dogmatic either way.

The universe is probably full of alien life forms. And what we call "things" might be "persons, living beings." It may be a matter of semantics.

Are the extra-terrestial beings fallen, contaminated by sin? Maybe not. All we know for sure is that human beings are sinful and need a Saviour. Christ came to save all men (humans). Other beings may not have sin and thus not need salvation.

Other beings in other galaxies, dimensions, universes may have totally different spiritual realities than humans.

Life on Mars? Why not? Bible mainly addresses human concerns on earth, but contains glimpses and intimations of other life forms elsewhere.

Our current scientific definition of "life" is not the only possible definition: what can reproduce, exhibits birth/growth/decay/death,and must consume energy sources (food).

"Bots" share some "life" characteristics. The WWW is a type of life form in a certain sense. The lines between machines and living beings are blurring rapidly.

I hate long posts, but bear with me: C.S. Lewis allegedly said (theoretically) Earth may be so far away from other inhabited planets--because God has "quarantined" us, has separated us from them, due to the contagious nature of sin. God didn't want us to infect other beings, so other inhabited planets are extremely far away from us. Interesting theory...I like it.

5. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I hope they uncover a lightsaber.