1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wayne Grudem

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Pete Richert, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Has anybody read Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology? I have been reading it and so far I think it is execllent.

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not 100% sure but I think that is the theology book they are using at Southern Seminary.

3. cdawg

cdawg New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've not read it entirely, only sections. I liked what I read, though I don't agree with all (not unusual). Overall seems to be sound. I like his presentation.

CC

4. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Everything is backed with scripture (in other words, not a ton of conclusions back by logic even though its there in places). Very down to earth. Very loving yet precise on truths. I might even read this twice.

5. Pastork

Pastork New Member

I agree with your assessment, Pete, and I have recommended the book often. In fact, a copy is in our church library and most of my congregation own a copy and really like it. It is my favorite systematic theology text.

Pastork

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Very good for the most part but you have to be discerning with his section on the Spirit and spiritual gifts.

He also has a newer, simpler version out that will prove helpful I think. IT is called simply Bible Doctrine.

7. Pastork

Pastork New Member

Yes, Pete, if you are a cessationist you will not like Grudem's discussion of spiritual gifts. As a noncessationist, however, I find Grudem's work in this area to be perhaps the best I have seen. It is balanced, careful, and based on solid biblical exegesis. I would also add that even those of a cessationist perspective should find Grudem's treatment helpful in summarizing and presenting the issues.

Pastork

8. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

You have an amazing congregation if most of them own a copy of Grudem's systematic theology. What a blessing!