1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"We are all Hindus now"

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Marcia, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, this is just the mainstreaming of the New Age and other influences that I've noticed since I was saved out of the New Age in late 1990:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/212155

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It should be noted that the OP article is a commentary, not a news article.

That said, there are a lot of assumptions (again, it's a commentary). For example, just because people believe in reincarnation does not make one hindu. Reincarnation is common in buddhism, taoism, janism, kabbalah, confucionism, and numerous others. New Age followers are mixed on it: some believe in it, some don't.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think the writer was writing metaphorically; I doubt she meant literally that we are all Hindus.

Reincarnation is very different in buddhism and it's called rebirth. There is no self in buddhism but somehow an essense and the aggregates are reborn but there is no self to be reborn. Their religion is very internally contradictory.

Taoism - not sure there is reincarnation there.

The other views expressed in the article are more akin to Hinduism; however, I do think there is a large influence of Eastern beliefs here. I would probably title the article, "We are all New Agers Now" rather than use the term "Hindu." Of course, that is hyperbole - I don't mean everyone is a New Ager, either.