1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

We are ok.

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by annsni, Oct 30, 2012.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No power or cell service but our house and boat are safe. No idea how long we will be without power since 90% of Long Island has no power. No question this was a historic storm.

2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Was wondering how your boat fared.

Glad everyone's safe.

3. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good news that everybody is safe.

Will continue praying.

4. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

It certainly looked a nasty one!!! Glad you are okay, hope power resumes as soon as pos....

We hve just had a couple of earthquakes during the last few nights, which are not nice.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Watching everything on the news has been shocking. I'm so glad that you are OK and have checked in!

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's just amazing to drive around. Every road has at least one tree down with power lines. It's going to be a long time before power is restored!

7. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

BUT, but how's our dear Sis Annie gonna keep up with all her soap ops now?? :smilewinkgrin:

Seriously, though, all of us BB family members are thinking about and praying for you and for those in your area whose lives have been touched by the flooding.

BTW, I just checked, and found that Isaiah 43:1 - 3a is still "in the Book," and the One Who moved Isaiah to write those words is still with AND IN you!

God bless!

8. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good to hear you all are ok! Getting back to normal will take time.

What about others in your church?

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Tom - Some have damage and most have no power. Everyone is safe though. Our missions pastor drove around to each of our "widows" and all were OK. He went with a generator to give them an hour on their fridge/freezer and brought them hot food too. :) Love that man!

It's looking like we'll be out for at least a few more days. Long Island was hit really hard and it will take a long time to get it all back. Roads are still closed with large trees - we need the big guns to clear them!

10. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

So glad, you are mostly ok........my heart bleeds for those who wil have the horrible job of cleaning out their homes after the waters recede....so many things are just things but photos and memories are irreplaceable.

Trust a lot was learnt after the cyclones in the South, and services will be better coordinated.:thumbsup:

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Sounds a lot like North Alabama when we were back there during the April 2011 storms. Glad you all are well.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We got back our power on Wednesday and internet/tv last night. We have had people over a ton taking showers and getting a hot meal - along with charging electronics. But now seeing the news? Man, we got off easy near me!! Unbelievable!! I posted a long post on my blog (that I hadn't updated in a year) about how we prepped and how we fared through the storm. I think I did a lot of things right - and we were fortunate that we personally weren't hit hard.

http://lifeonthesound.blogspot.com/2012/11/hurricane-sandy.html

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to hear that both you & yours are OK! Thank God.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How's 'civility' amongst the masses where you all are at? Much looting or violence?

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No looting here but I've heard a few people had gas stolen from their cars. But there IS looting where the damage is worse like in Lindenhurst and Long Beach and stuff. Police are there now and there is a dusk to dawn curfew.

16. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How are you all fixed for heat. Supposed to get cooler over the next few days. Still Praying!

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We have power now so we are OK. Many are not and they have warming shelters set up and I'd guess they will have to set up more shelters so people have a warm place to stay. But if we didn't have power, we'd still be able to stay toasty thanks to my fireplace. I can get that den to 80 degrees with no heat on at all.

18. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad that your family is well. Time to fire up the chain saw and get that tree out of the back yard. I was surprised how full it was of leaves. Our leaves have been gone for weeks.

Y'all have some folk that are hurting. Is your church doing anything 'formal' as far as the relief efforts? We'd be interested in sending a check.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This tree is too big for just a regular chain saw. Our first tree guy that came today admitted that he doesn't have the equipment for it. So now we are waiting for another guy. We're fortunate in that it's not a pressing thing to take care of because a friend of mine had a tree land on her garage (stand alone garage) and they just came yesterday to cut it down. $6,000 cash on the spot!!! She didn't realize until they left that she had been scammed. :(

We're not doing anything "formal" as in a big drive or something but our missions pastor is amazing and he's been going around to those who need help and even running a generator at each house daily to keep the fridge and freezer going. He's also in construction so he's trying to help out where he can with fixing damage. If you were wanting to send anything, I'd have you send it directly to him and made out to our benevolent fund so that it would go right to those who need it. I could even have him give cash out to those who were hit hard to help with repairs and stuff. Let me know what you want to do.

20. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm pulled into the Matrix again!

We spent seven days living like the Amish.

Power came on this afternoon.

We lost a couple of trees and a telephone pole but nothing hit the house.

I had some generator problems and didn't get the heat on until Saturday morning.

My wife and grand-kids spent a few days in Lancaster with my in-laws.

Rob