1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured We don't WANT "Free-Will"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by HeirofSalvation, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reformed_baptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where is 'free' will taught in the bible?

2. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

It seems to me that it is worth noting that if this were a pre-deterministic world, then it is only logical that we attempt to do everything we can regardless of how selfish and then whatever events actually obtain we will then know that they were predetermined to be and all of this to the glory of God!

No one can consistently and logically argically argue that my point is not accurate and still hold to the idea that all events in this world were predetermined.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

When the scriptures say there is none that doeth good, no, not one, this is not saying man is unable to do good, you are reading that into scripture. It is simply saying there are none who do good.

And when Jesus said there is none good but God, he is speaking of 100% sinless perfection, he is not saying that every single thing man does is evil. Jesus directly said that sinners can do good.

Luk 6:33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.

It is true here that Jesus is saying it is far better to do good to those who mistreat us, nevertheless, Jesus said sinners do good. It is not wrong to do good to those who do good to you, you SHOULD do good to those who do good to you.

When an unregenerate person tells the truth, it is no sin, it is good. Otherwise all of God's commandments are completely unnecessary. Why should a person be honest if it is just as sinful as being dishonest? Nonsensical and absurd to say the least.

It doesn't matter if you lived a perfect life, if you sin just once you are a sinner and must pay the penalty for your sin.

Jam 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

First of all, if everything we do is sin, it would be nonsensical to speak of a man keeping the whole law, it would be nonsensical to say a man can obey the law at all. That is not what scriptures teach. The scriptures teach that all men have sinned and "come short" of the glory of God. Men can do good, but they cannot do good enough. To merit salvation you would have to live your entire life without sinning even once as Jesus did. No man has ever done this or ever will.

That being "good" or "righteous" means to be 100% sinless is shown in scripture.

Ecc 7:20 For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.

Here, a "just" man and a "good" man is defined, it is a man that NEVER sins. That does not mean man cannot do good.

Eze 18:24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

Men can do good, men can perform righteous works. But the moment a man sins, all his righteous works will not be mentioned, in his trespass and sin he has sinned, IN THEM shall he die.

This teaching that unregenerate man cannot do good is total error. All men can do good, but no man has lived perfectly and never sinned (except Jesus), thus there is none good, no, not one.

God himself said men can do righteous works in Eze 18:24.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

And you err just like Aaron. Jesus himself said sinners do good to those who do good to them. This is not sin, it is not sin to do good to those who do good to you, you SHOULD do good to those who treat you well. Jesus simply said it is a greater good to be like God and do good to those who are evil toward you. Nevertheless, it is not sin to do good to those who love you and treat you well.

Cornelius was not saved, yet he did many good works that were recognized by God. God sent an angel to Cornelius to tell him to send for Peter whereby he and his house would hear words whereby they would be saved. So we know for a FACT that Cornelius was not saved at this point and unregenerate. Cornelius did not receive the Holy Spirit until AFTER Peter came and preached the gospel to him.

Cornelius proves your view to be error.

Acts 10:1 There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band,
    2 A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.
    3 He saw in a vision evidently about the ninth hour of the day an angel of God coming in to him, and saying unto him, Cornelius.
    4 And when he looked on him, he was afraid, and said, What is it, Lord? And he said unto him, Thy prayers and thine alms are come up for a memorial before God.
    5 And now send men to Joppa, and call for one Simon, whose surname is Peter:

Cornelius was not regenerate, but he was a very good man who feared God, prayed always, and gave to the poor. God heard his prayers and recognized his good works.

Acts 10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
    35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

Was Cornelius saved when Peter said this? Nope.

Acts 11:13 And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;
    14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.

Peter here confirms that Cornelius was not saved when the angel spoke to him.

Acts 11:15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
    16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
    17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

This is when Cornelius was regenerated, when he believed the gospel preached to him by Peter and received the Holy Ghost.

Cornelius absolutely refutes the false teaching that unregenerate man cannot do good.

#64 Winman, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
  5. A Faithful Sidekick

A Faithful Sidekick New Member

Christians have new abilities - the "new nature!"

Unregenerate men are not able to choose good. The very best they can hope for is "as filthy rags," according to scripture. Men having "the mind of Christ" have abilities that the unregenerate do not. We can be heard when we pray. We can believe when He speaks to us through His word. We can truly obey out of our new nature. The unregenerate are not capable of these things.

See also Eph 2:1-5, Col 2:13, John 6:44

-Robin

6. A Faithful Sidekick

I answer it this way: I pray for the lost, directing my petition to the only One can free an unbeliever to follow Christ. Semi-Pelagians shouldn't ask God at all, since they believe God has nothing to do with it. Don't pray for the lost, pray TO the lost if you're an Arminian / semi-Pelagian, since you believe only the lost are able to choose.

-Robin

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ said straight out that an evil tree cannot bring forth good fruit.

8. humblethinker

Originally Posted by humblethinker
    Hmmm... In what way are Christians "capable of choosing outside of their ability"?

A Faithful Sidekick posted: Christians have new abilities - the "new nature!"
    Yet, even then we are not 'capable of choosing outside of our ability'.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No wonder cal's are so confused...the ignorance and deliberate misrepresentations like that above mistaken for the truth...or even funnier yet..."the gospel"

10. humblethinker

Stopit webdog!!! Calvinism IS the gospel! How dare you deny the gospel!

;-)

11. A Faithful Sidekick

Perhaps I could have put that differently, but it was supposed to evoke thought rather than ridicule.

But, since it prompted only ridicule, I'll not invite any further ridicule by proposing something absurd to make a point.

12. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your Post was fine. Some on BB do not share the beliefs of the historic church.
    And when you cannot answer with scripture....you resort to other things:wavey:

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

Jesus also showed we have within our ability to be either a good tree or a corrupt tree.

Mat 12:33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.

The words "either" and "or else" connected to the word "make" shows we have both the option and ability to choose whether we are a good tree that bears good fruit, or a corrupt tree that bears corrupt fruit.

And these were the words of Jesus himself. I will believe the words of Jesus, you can believe your Reformed "scholars".

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

^Case in point^

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You have to be joking....please stop.This is lame. Your friends will have to lower this post down through the roof and pray for a healing:laugh:

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is some missing indigence in here.......ah but whats the use....:laugh:

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes....sadly your posts are a case in point. When is the last time you interacted with a post scripturally and not your little two and three word quips, debate fallacy excuses,and otherwise snide comments.
    Maybe you cannot, so i cannot say to much about it. If you cannot,you cannot.
    Archangel walked you through 2 cor 5 and offered solid biblical teaching.You not only fail to interact with it,and say...Archangel...thanks for showing me what the text actually says...i will have to re-evaluate my view in light of this.

No...instead you strike out in frustration

No this is not really interacting with the text ...is it? case in point:thumbsup:

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

And as usual, all you can offer for an argument is ridicule. Maybe you should go back to copying and pasting your Reformed scholars. Obviously you cannot come up with a serious rebuttal yourself.

You are an expert at mockery and slander however. I guess a fellow has to go with his strengths. If you can't think, at least you can ridicule.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Back to 1st grade "nuh-uh" posting I see.
    Did just that on this thread, to which Allan further touched on...to which you oddly threw him the thumbs up to.
    ...and I summarized his eisegesis (what you refer to as "walking through"...more aptly labeled "trampling on", IMO)...to which Allan further touched on...to which you threw up the oddly timed thumbs up.

:laugh: Frustration. Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman,

This kind of post makes a mockery of the scripture. I told you as others have...we cannot hold your hand a read every verse with you.....you are wrong almost everytime....not even close...then you offer this;
    It is your ridicule of what you do not understand ,that invites the responses you get....
    Your posts have been going in this direction.most do not answer you anymore because of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.