1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

We Have Forgotten His Grace...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Jan 26, 2009.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Once we're talking non-essentials, Christian liberty must be extended. When we fail to, then we have legalism and that condemning spirit.

For example, I went to a couple's home to visit. The husband offered me a beer. Well, I had two options: 1. Rebuke him. Or 2. Respect his Christian liberty.

I chose the latter, Respect his Christian liberty.

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Um, it's not Christian liberty to indulge in what God condemns, does that make the Lord a "legalist"?

I have been offered alcohol a few times since I got saved, a simple "No thatnks" worked quite well. Then I used the opportunity to begin witnessing. Of course I gave them Scripture which condemns strong drink, and yes, beer is strong drink.

I got the usual "Jesus drank wine", But then I got the chance to show them what the Bible really says contrary to what modernism says, and what the flesh wants the word to say.

I only have the authority to rebuke other Christians for reproven behaviour, not so I can rebuke at will, that would be operating from the flesh.

If I don't allow reproof to take its due course, I can be viewed as condemning, but legalism is an attempt to either attain salvation or a fleshly effort to stay saved, or to gain favour with God.

Most people who CONDEMN others by usage of the term "legalist" are being the legalist. This is usually due to some act they are committing has been reproven and it is a futile attempt to thwart conviction.:godisgood:

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Hmm.. I guess you have a problem then don't you. (and yes I do mean you)

I believe TCGreek and I do walk in agreement on the gospel message.
    The only way we can not walk in agreement in this is if one of us was preaching a different or false gospel. This would mean (without question) that person proclaiming the false gospel is still lost.

So your problem to resolve is - Do only Calvinist preach the gospel? IF they do then we must conclude that only Calvinists are saved?

4. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I keep forgeting what the book of Galatians is about. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

On this I had to smile. You forgot a 3rd option :smilewinkgrin:
    3) No thanks but I really appreciate your hospitality.

(I know what you were saying though - just having some fun)

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or the fourth...drink the beer! :thumbsup: :laugh:

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

I thought that was the second?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not necessarily.

9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

So sorry, after reading the most recent contributions I will be labeled a "legalist" due to my stand that mocking the word of God is heresy!

What if some one were very weak at the time they read these posts jesting about drinking and they caved in to the temptation and started another binge of drunkeness that hadn't occured in at least thrity years?

I suppose my comments won't be accepted by modernists or liberals, But I"M SERIOUS!

I know a man who has gone HOME but this is exactly what happened to him. he was a falling down drunk who had been hospitalized and frequented a few dry-out clinics before he got miraculously saved and delivered from alcohol. He was visiting family years later when a member offered. He spent the next three years crying out to God for mercy to stop drinking, AGAIN!

I believe some here need to stop and think, well at least sometimes!:tear:

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

mmmm.. I gave a thrid option because that is my particular view, while knowing and understanding TCGreeks, I added to his options. My comment was not meant neither to demean TCGreek nor God's Word but to simply acknowledge his understanding while placing my view along side his options.

The 'just having some fun' comment pertained with adding to the choices he stated without putting him down but also illistrating a difference of opinion. I thought we were discussing grace in this thread?

11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what if my posting that I love my wife makes a man think about committing adultery with his neighbors wife?

12. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one should offer a drink to a recovering or former alcoholic. That's just common sense.

13. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Are you mocking your wife and hoping he does?

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

It happens alot, that is why it shouldn't be a matter of jesting about it.

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Grace has more requirements than the law is some instances.

Does your post mean it's ok to get pot-bellied on grace inspite of it? This is a debate section you know?

For the record, you're insinuation that anyone was putting some one down is viewed as an element of legalism on your behalf.:type:

16. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. I'm just saying that if simply mentioning something is going to lead to problems, then we won't be able to say much of anything.

17. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that it's funny for someone to offer an alcoholic a drink. I just don't think there's anything wrong with having a beer. I personally can't even stand the smell of beer, but to each his own.

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Sal,

I'm not going to argue about the use of alcohol. It's up to the individual and God, not me.

Neither do I consider them in sin. I simply have no biblical authority for that.

I'm still unconvinced by the arguments marshaled against its moderate use.

Neither am I promoting antinominianism.

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

And if any Calvinist feels that way, they have confused the simple gospel.

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Yeah, Allan, I forgot that one. :thumbs: