1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

We just cant win, can we.

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Get ready to pay $4.50 a gallon this summer -- for milk.
    Gasoline prices over $3 a gallon have grabbed consumers' attention, but dairy products and other corn-dependent foods are expected to rise at an even faster rate.
    This is happening because of an explosion in the production of ethanol, a gasoline additive touted by the president, automakers and farmers as a way to reduce America's dependence on foreign oil.
    Up to 20% of the nation's corn crop -- 18% in Michigan -- is now being channeled to ethanol production. That increased demand means the price of corn used to feed cattle and pigs and to make cereals and sweeteners is going up -- 61% between September and May.
    Together with the rising costs of wheat and other commodities, corn demand is pushing overall food prices up 4% this year, compared with 2% a year ago, and driving up the costs of breakfast foods -- eggs, bacon, cereal, milk and potatoes -- as much as 10%, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070624/BUSINESS06/706240589

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, my, there goes my beloved cornbread !

3. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

I guess it's good that I don't buy that much milk! This is just ridiculous!

No wonder I heard a news story recently where people were buying their own cows for milk. It's probably cheaper in the long run... kinda nasty... but still cheaper.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thers been a drought over much of the country this summer, crop production is going to be way down, corn and hey products for cattle, vegetables. Here there were no blueberries at the farmers market, and she only had a small percetange of her usual strawberries. Already vegetables are coming to the market late, and I expect prices to be up. But the price of everything is up I've noticed. If the goverment would stop paying farmers not to grow corn there might not be a shortage at all.

5. MrJim

MrJim New Member

...switch to vanilla soymilk ("Silk" or "8th Continent" or even some store brands)~~yum!

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! Let's not use a very, very important food staple such as corn for food for people and feed for livestock. Let's use it to get us from point A to point B, instead of drilling off the east coast, the west coast, Florida, ANWAR, etc., for oil to make gasoline.

This is insane!

7. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I keep hearing "drought" from so many people. When are we gonna get some of that down here? We're under flood watches all across the state almost daily, it seems. Although, on the plus side, our farmer's markets, roadside stops, etc, etc, have been chocked full of yummy fruits and veggies this season.

I was a freshman in college the last time we had a real drought down here. I remember we had over 120 days straight without any measurable rainfall at all. That's been about 6 1/2 years ago now. We were in drought conditions during 2001, but when Tropical Storm Allison rolled in, twice, that June, we picked up something like 35 inches in 3 days.

So, in Houston, we have half of the oil refineries in the U.S. and we seem to be in the only state that is not blowing away as dust due to drought. Why then are we still paying the same gas/milk prices as the rest of you people?:tonofbricks:

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Everytime I go to Houston (the latest trip was last month), I always see gasoline about 10-20 cents per gallon cheaper than in the Denver area. And we have refineries here too, albeit not as many as along the Houston Ship Channel. Our version of "Stinkadena" is Commerce City.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spoken like a man that earns his living in the oil business.:thumbs:

But I agree.

10. billwald

billwald New Member

The plan is to destroy the middle class and make the USofA into a copy of the third world nations with a grunt class and a ruling class.