1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wearing ties to church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by drfuss, Jun 8, 2006.

1. terriloo

terriloo New Member

Ties in church

I agree completely that we should "dress ourselves" with a worshipful and respectful attitude and demeanor, both inwardly and outwardly, when we go to any church service. But, likewise, we should "dress accordingly" everywhere in our lives.

Clothing is what we use to cover our nakedness. Some people can materially afford to cover themselves "better" than others. Some feel a need to "dress up" to show worshipfulness. A tie (and used-to-be, a suit) for a man holds the same connotation that a nice dress (and used-to-be, a hat) does for a woman--you're "dressed up", and most equate that with showing more respect than simply wearing your everyday clothes. Hey, that's why they're CALLED "Sunday clothes". And there's certainly a valid argument in comparing buying a new dress or tie to go to a "special event", such as graduation, a wedding, etc. to how we look at "dressing up" being important in indicating that we give priority and a "special place" for our church services. I can certainly understand why one would think that "casualwear" has somehow demeaned church services, since it would give the impression that the attendee doesn't "care enough to dress up for God". But please remember to consider all the many reasons an individual may be IN that "casual-wear".

As long as we are decently attired, I think dress should be a personal decision, whether male or female. I am personally extremely uncomfortable in dresses now--to the point of it literally being all I can concentrate on while sitting in the church pew--so there is nothing "worshipful" or more respectful about my wearing a dress to church. I can worship more fully in pants. Out of respect for whatever church I am visiting, I do wear that dress, though.

The same is true for ties. Most men that I know are miserable in them, simply because they DON'T wear them regularly, and the second they walk out the church door, I see most men loosening, if not completely removing, their ties--which would at least indicate they were UNCOMFORTABLE in that tie during the service, and thus participated less fully. (No, I know I don't know their hearts--I'm just observing behavior.) My husband, since his head injury and heart problems, almost SMOTHERS in a tie, so it's out of the question.

I guess my point is that I don't think God really cares what we wear (as long as it's modest)--the Bible says over and over that it's what INSIDE a man that matters. If you are more comfortable with a tie, wonderful--wear one. If you are more comfortable--and, thus, fully engaged in worship--in those shorts and sandals--does that make you less acceptable to God? or just to those church members who think you HAVE to wear that tie? And what about those of us who simply cannot AFFORD to have a separate wardrobe for church? There are just many PERSONAL sides to this issue, and I don't believe there's any scriptural support for dressing a certain way OTHER than modestly. But I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong...:)

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are all our own determiner for what is dressing down. And we determine that every time we leave the house for church with something in our closet that is better than what we have on.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Some of the best fellowship with God is walking through the woods in shorts and a T-shirt, communing one-on-one with the creator and his creation.

4. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ties?

I usually start out with a coat and tie on Sunday AM's, but often have to come out of the coat! Sunday PM's and Wednesdays - not at all.

I might just be kind of ignorant, but I don't know if God really cares if us guys wear a tie. 1 Samuel 16:7 says, "for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart" (NKJV).

I'm not concerned what the lost that are in my church wear (or the saved of my church, for that matter). I'm sure not about to run one off or somehow try to degrade them, even if they're wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Lost folks need to hear the gospel - not the dress code!

Saved folks need to be encouraged to live for Christ, and grow in their understanding of the Word, not how to dress according to some man's standards!

Let's keep the main thing the main thing! And a tie ain't it!

#24 SBCPreacher, Jun 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2006
  5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

So would you contend that every time we go to church we need to wear the very best items of clothing we own?

I assume this is an opinion and not a principle from the scriptures?

6. terriloo

terriloo New Member

"Let's keep the main thing the main thing! And a tie ain't it!"

Amen, SBCPreacher! :thumbs:

7. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ties?

Ya' know, I don't know everything there is to know about the Bible, but I don't remember anything about Jesus wearing a tie!?!

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I hope you don't own a tux:smilewinkgrin:

9. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Gonna insert my 2 cents in here--

Our pastor wears a tie every time he gets behind the pulpit--Sunday AM, PM and Wednesday nights---and any other time we have special services (like this week). He doesn't always wear a suit--somtimes just a nice dress shirt and sports coat--and sometimes no sports coat at all. The only time he wears a suit is on Sunday mornings. Not all the men in our church wear ties.

10. Pete

Pete New Member

Boy am I in trouble here.... :eek: (just for a change huh? ;))....I never wear a tie, always wear jeans, and have even been known to wear that Strat in my pic in Churches :eek: :smilewinkgrin:

(Pointless really, you'ld have trouble seeing how holy my tie was behind my beard....)

#30 Pete, Jun 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2006
  11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing about this thread that is biblically based. The question about the tie has nothing to do with scritpure. I figured since that should have been known, that any comments made would also be known in the same way.

I wouldnt get to bothered about what I have said. If you disagree then great. I certainly dont have any knowledge about how any one here dresses.

It certainly isnt worth an accelerated heart rate.
    ( I knew the tux thing would come up)

12. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

:sleeping_2: My opinion: There are about 1 zillion things more important to discuss than men wearing or not wearing ties to church.:sleeping_2:

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: And yet your here.

14. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

webdog said:

I hope you don't own a tux

And if he does, and he wears it to church, we all get to point and laugh. A tuxedo is appropriate as evening semi-formal wear.

15. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we should all wear nice morning cutaways with wonderfully designed ascots.

:)

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Someone should have told me that when I had my wedding at noon.:smilewinkgrin:

17. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

FWIW, the reason men are not comfortable wearing a tie, unless it's extremely hot, is because the shirts they wear don't fit. Either the collar size was too small to begin with - most often the case - and/or the collar shrinks from the laundry process.

The tie itself, when tied properly, doesn't put any pressure on the neck at all. For at least the first dozen or so times I wear a shirt, I'm not even aware the collar is buttoned and I have a tie on - THAT'S THE WAY IT SHOULD BE. A lot of the problem is the way shirts are made - the collars are generally too small in relation to the shirt size - but that's another issue.

For the brothers who wear ties, or those who would like to if they could be comfortable doing so, the secret rule is to make sure the size of your shirt collar is at least a 1/4 size larger than your actual neck size. So, in the extreme case, if your neck size is exactly 16", go ahead a get a 16 1/2 size shirt (if you're buying off the rack). If it's a little too large at first, it'll shrink down soon enough.

Godspeed.

18. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

StefanM said:

I think we should all wear nice morning cutaways with wonderfully designed ascots.

Don't forget the grey top hat!

Wait, were we going to church or the racetrack, again?

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Unless your wife gets mad and grabs you by the tie and drags you all the way home. :laugh: :laugh: :wavey: :tear:

20. mnw

mnw New Member

I believe it is a person's best attire that is appropriate for the situation. So, a tux is over the top, but a the jeans you just did your gardening in is unadvisable. Now, if those are the only jeans you have, then fine.

Something to remember is that some older generations find no tie disrespectful and a stumbling block. So, we need to keep that in mind as we excercise our Christian liberty.

At our church you have to wear a shirt and tie to preach. It is a standard I am sure will change with time. But some standard is needed and that is the easiest line to draw.

I have no great love for ties, but for the moment it is my preference. In my area to not wear a tie would bring on a battle. I have bigger fights to focus on and so I just wear a tie.

Wear what you will, but show some respect for God and His house, show some respect for others sensitivities and just get on with it.